Notices

Relapsed & devastated

Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed & devastated

I'm sorry to say I have relapsed. I would have been 2 years sobers in 12 days . I'm so disappointed n myself and would really like some positive feedback please .& advice from others who have been in a similar position

How the hell did that even happen ?

I had this !

I was NEVER going to drink again :-(

Thanks friends xxx
Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addiction is a fickle thing; I'm 13 days in after 9 months off. Complacency and denial of fully accepting I was an addict was my downfall. I take solace in knowing this time around is much easier than the first go around. You can draw on the success of the past two years and move forward.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm often dismayed at how relentless this thing is, and how many good folks get sucked back in.

The important thing is tho- we can do this - permanent recovery really is possible

You haven't lost anything you learned or achieved in the last 2 years Snoozy - it's all still there - you just lost sight of it for a few days.

You can get back to where you were - better and stronger.

Never give up Snoozy. You're a great person - you deserve a happy outcome W

D
Old 06-15-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee said it all.

Take good care of yourself.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Snoozy,

Sorry to see you relapsed, but really glad to see you back here! You can have sobriety back again.

Do you have a plan, like counseling or aa or any of that? I know it may be tempting to think of a short relapse as a "blip," but in my unpleasant experience I couldn't keep it a short one unless I came up with a plan. Every relapse is tougher.

Rooting for you kiddo!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear that, Snoozy. For right now, just rest and recover. The relapse was the past. When better, think about what lead to the slip and how you will avoid that. Stay strong and stay close!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

One day at a time, Snooz. It's all any of us really have.

Like Dee said, you still have everything you've gained in these last two years. Take all of that and reapply it with new vigor. We're here for you just like you've been here for us.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Snoozy,
"Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.."
You have just had a little slip-up.. It happens to a lot of us.
You were doing great before, and you'll be doing great again in no time!
Best of luck to you
Ring
Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I am not the wizard.....but 2 years is amazing.....I'm sure you made all kinds of progress.....just start where you left off. It would be unnatural if you weren't disappointed......just means your alive and you get to do it over. Chin up!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that. I am approaching two years and hearing your experience shows me that i need to stay up on my meetings and continue to work hard. Sobriety has to be the most important thing in my life!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Hi Snoozy, congratulations for the amount of time you have been sober

Don't beat up yourself too much, think about what you achieved, quickly set another goal and start again without getting stuck into a negative mindset about it.

Many people relapse and come back stronger and you will too.

Look at today as Day 1 maybe?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I could have easily relapsed a hundred times in the last two weeks. You made it two years !! Two years of healing, two years of growth, two years of bodily repair and relationship mending. Nothing about what you did is dishonorable. You are amazing...

Have you given any thought as to what tripped you up ?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
I'm sorry to say I have relapsed. I would have been 2 years sobers in 12 days . I'm so disappointed n myself and would really like some positive feedback please .& advice from others who have been in a similar position

How the hell did that even happen ?

I had this !

I was NEVER going to drink again :-(

Thanks friends xxx
Complacency is what tripped me up at around 7 months, personally. Two years is an amazing accomplishment though, and you picked yourself right up and re-committed. Not saying to minimize what happened but no need to treat it as a life-crushing event either if you are back and focused. Blip on the radar that you are more than equipped to deal with... you got this
Old 06-15-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you get right back to sober you won't undo all the progress you have made over the last two years and you'll be right back on track. It's one day at a time for all of us whether two days or two years, what matters is that we make it another 24. You can do it!
-Ted
Old 06-15-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I could have easily relapsed a hundred times in the last two weeks. You made it two years !! Two years of healing, two years of growth, two years of bodily repair and relationship mending. Nothing about what you did is dishonorable. You are amazing...

Have you given any thought as to what tripped you up ?
I agree completely, you had an incredible amount of sobER time, and you should be very proud of that. Glad you came back on, I am only on 28 days, so I think you are amazing and inspirational!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Snoozy I am sorry to hear this, I wish I could give you a hug. Remember that you still have all that sober time, you still have everything you learned over the past two years, you still are the sober Snoozy you grew to be --- if a somewhat disappointed one right now.

It might be worth retracing the events that led to drinking, think about the decision to drink and why you made it, that will help you to plan what to do in similar circumstances in the future.

You can still win out of this. Put it behind you, let there only be one fall. You can still have two years and make your mantra "I've drunk once in two years and I never will again."

Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Snoozy...yes I know the feeling well. What started out as 'a few drinks over Christmas' led to a downward spiral for me that lasted 3 months.

I just couldn't figure out how I couldn't quit and stay quit again. I felt so stupid. I had been doing it for years, yet I couldn't just stop. I fell into the trap of thinking that one more wouldn't hurt and I stopped communicating with those people who cared about me.

I really had to pull out all the stops to get back on my feet again. I'm here if you ever want to talk my friend xxx
Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It is going to be Okay...
..you have 2 years and I believe you will plus more again...sobriety is just too good ..
There is nothing in drinking just some weird sort of my old life attachment.
I can only think it is that anniversary relapse thing..
You have gained so much in two years, two years that are not lost.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry about the stumble, Snoozy. The important thing is that you caught it right away and have determined to get back on track. You will need to take an honest look at just what lead to drinking. Did you get cocky? Did you simply forget how bad things were? Brace yourself and take a look! I say this not to be hurtful, far from it, but to remind you where you were going until you stopped.

You didn't lose the wisdom and experience of nearly two years sober. Just dust yourself off and have another go at it. You know you can do it because you have done it! You can beat this, Snoozy! We're with you.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Snoozy, sorry about the slip. You should be very proud of yourself. You have everything it takes for long term recovery and happiness, you've proven that to yourself.

This addiction is relentless and heartless. We are human and will err at times. The important thing is that you don't loose focus. Don't dwell on this slip as a defining moment in your past success.

You know how to succeed in long term recovery, you have the tools, you have the power and the will to not miss a beat from today forward.

Be proud of yourself and get back at it. You deserve it. A couple years back I had 9 months when I relapsed. I spent the better part of the next year drinking heavily. I can never get that year back now.

Be strong, use your strength and continue in your sober success.

I envy what you have accomplished!