Notices

Hey guys

Old 06-15-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Stewy here- 238 days sober

Had a "transformation meeting" in work today telling us about all the innovative, interesting , exciting, groundbreaking plans to "move the organisation forward" and reach the top tier and where we want to be. There have been working groups set up, all named after birds such as "skylark", "falcon" and "liverbird"- the latter referring to the scouse (Liverpool) connection the company has. The groups will discuss the future plans and they want people to "get involved". Jokes were shared, laughs were had, everybody said how great it was to see the chief executive and other figures of authority "mixing with the workers"

Maybe I was the only person in the room who didn't buy any of this. Maybe I'm a realist, seeing that it is half a glass. I tried to follow what was being discussed but it was no good. A person in the crowd asked - " will there be redundancies?"

My fears confirmed, the job I had worked hard to return to after a bout of depression was now under threat. They need to save money and for that, they will be re-structuring the managers and office workers. The bubble just popped, the penny just dropped, poo hit the fan, the milk spilt, whichever analogy you wish to use it all amounts to feeling like you're being spun a huge yarn.

Can anyone relate to this and just re-assure me that feeling upset by this meeting is normal reaction?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I also have a lot of trouble buying into corporate speak. I'm not a five year old and don't need to be involved in work groups named after birds.

But on the other hand--don't build up the possible restructuring into something it's not. You have a job today and they haven't said anything at all about putting you in particular on the chopping block. Don't let your mind plan out possible awful outcomes that haven't happened yet and probably won't happen at all. Do your job to the best of your ability today, control the aspects of it that you can control and let the rest of it go.

Congrats on 238 days. That is truly amazing!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 238 days!

As for your work situation, I'm sorry. I would certainly concentrate on performing as much as you can, and remaining positive.

Perhaps search for another job on the side? So you have a plan B if they pull the plug and let you go?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,

Yes I need to knuckle down and stop ruminating about the what ifs.

Even if I did get made redundant, I can go into something else, it may actually be a launch pad into a new role. Like you say, nothing's been decided. It was just a bit patronising and I have to say, wishy washy at this stage without much substance. It was like "we're changing and were letting you know, but we no nothing else about it at the moment but there will be redundancies"

Trust me to knuckle down for 9 months then be told to go!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
Can anyone relate to this and just re-assure me that feeling upset by this meeting is normal reaction?
I can definitely relate. I've been through a couple of downsizings/efficiency/budget cut cycles and currently in the middle of one now. It's absolutely normal to be leery of such moves, because at the end of the day it's about cutting costs no matter how they spin it. But that doesn't mean you can't be part of the new team either. You have a job with opportunity - that's a lot more than many can say these days. I know people that would love to have a job to hate if they could ;-)
Old 06-15-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, business changes are emotional hard - for everyone involved (including your management - underneath the corp speak, they are people too).

In my experience, folks who can balance realism while staying optimistic about the new business direction tend to have an easier time finding a place on the new team.

For me that means that I need to take particular care of myself so that I have a bit more resiliency and my best self shows up each day ready to engage.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I've always felt meetings like that you need to bring your boots and shovels if you know what i mean. I've seen the guy at the top deliverin the all important message about the upcoming great changes end up being the first one to get the boot out the door even and never saw it coming!

I dont see you as being negative i sit in those very same meetings and am normally wondering if anyone takes it seriously and am always thinking of all the more important things i could be doing with there time or my time. I think those meetings are great for the guys who get there jollies off eating up the nonsense or delivering it. But for the rest of us its just an hour of my life i'll never see again.

I guess it depends on whats important to you. some people live eat breathe that sorta stuff they love it. Other people would simply rather go put in there 8 hours and go home.

me ? i get my joy and enjoyment elsewhere so I never find that sort of stuff all that enticing. I'm not negative I just got other things that spark that excitement in me and work isnt one of them.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's stressful when cutbacks are in the air at work. Do your best to stay positive and focus on your job. Doing the best job you can at work will help you to feel good about yourself and it will help you whether or not you stay on with this company.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nothing worse than people talking to you in corporate BS instead of just laying it on the line. I can understand why that, and the fear for your job would have you feeling pretty rubbish right now - resentful about their BS and fearful for your job. The thing is, those fears and resentment aren't going to help your sobriety, or help you show yourself at your best.

You are resourceful and valuable. You have battled addiction and depression and won. They'd be crazy to not keep you. But you may need to be accepting of the changes that you have no control over in the meantime.

I once heard someone use an analogy of learning to ski when talking about dealing with their fear. They said that because they'd been scared they'd subconsciously been leaning up and back when they approached a bend, resulting in them falling every time. When they finally took the advice they were given to use that feeling of fear as an indicator of when they needed to lean forward harder, they made the bend better (not perfectly straight away - but their chances of getting round it were significantly increased). I don't know why that analogy worked for me (having never been skiing) but it's come in handy lots of times since I heard it, and I often find myself mentally taking a deep breath and 'leaning forward into the bends' in my metaphorical daily journey.

Good luck
Old 06-15-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I my experience companies do talk nonsense sometimes to their own employees, one of our departments in work had an "inspirational" conference once upon a time and the next month on a telephone call they were all let go, that sorta thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

So for me a pinch of salt is always applied to such high energy, plenty of buzzword type meetings, I also try to air on the same realist viewpoint and take one week or month at a time, nothing more we can do, if a company pulls the plug what can we do but live in the moment and roll with the punches when or if they come.

But for now we might as well enjoy the ride!!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I can definitely relate. I've been through a couple of downsizings/efficiency/budget cut cycles and currently in the middle of one now. It's absolutely normal to be leery of such moves, because at the end of the day it's about cutting costs no matter how they spin it. But that doesn't mean you can't be part of the new team either. You have a job with opportunity - that's a lot more than many can say these days. I know people that would love to have a job to hate if they could ;-)
This
Old 06-15-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was made redundant in March for the 2nd time in my working career.

Plus I have gone through consultation periods and restructures.

Its important to not take it personally.
Its no slight against you.
Its just the result of cost cutting.
Its not to do with whether they like you or not.

Its not the end of the world.
It can be the start of it.
If you have knuckled down then you will get a good reference at least.

Work has been causing you issues for a while, maybe its a blessing.
You can sign on for 6 months after redundancy, which is not a huge amount of money, but hey it helps.

Its not the end of the world.
I have found it makes interviews a lot easier when it comes to explaining why you are going for another job.
You are redundant and thats that. You don't have to give any reasons why you are leaving that company, what has pushed you into looking for a different role etc etc.
It makes that bit of the interview a lot easier!