SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Failing. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/369601-failing.html)

messyliver 06-15-2015 02:59 AM

Failing.

This is the longest i've lasted without alcohol since i was about 15. I haven't visited the forum for a while but am currently on day 23. I feel much better in myelf after being so sluggish for so long (but have also cut out caffeine, so i'm not really sure which was affecting me more.) I have been feeling really proud of myself but today have hit a brick wall. It's a miserable monday, I have another failed relationship on the horizon and all i feel like doing is grabbing a bottle of wine. I'm currently sitting here with a non alcoholic beer which i know is a slippery slope but was sitting next to the alcoholic varieties in my fridge so seemed like the best of a bad bunch. I'm just trying to get through to 4pm until it's time to go to work so i can distract myself.

anattaboy 06-15-2015 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by messyliver (Post 5422450)
This is the longest i've lasted without alcohol since i was about 15. I haven't visited the forum for a while but am currently on day 23. I feel much better in myelf after being so sluggish for so long (but have also cut out caffeine, so i'm not really sure which was affecting me more.) I have been feeling really proud of myself but today have hit a brick wall. It's a miserable monday, I have another failed relationship on the horizon and all i feel like doing is grabbing a bottle of wine. I'm currently sitting here with a non alcoholic beer which i know is a slippery slope but was sitting next to the alcoholic varieties in my fridge so seemed like the best of a bad bunch. I'm just trying to get through to 4pm until it's time to go to work so i can distract myself.

Congrats on 23 ML! Hang in there buddy. Feelings are all over the place for me at day 17 or so. I'm also sleeping on my dad's couch while my wife drinks all our bill money away....very effedup situation but I ain't gonna drink over it. It's not even a
Temporary solution anymore. Let your focus be day 24. This day will be over before you know it.

Saskia 06-15-2015 04:11 AM

Congrats on 23 days! Now aim for 24. Have you considered getting rid of the temptation in the house (if that's possible)?

messyliver 06-15-2015 04:24 AM

It's not my temptation. It's my flatmates. And as a genuine moderate drinker she just doesn't understand the struggle or temptation. She always has beers in the fridge because she'll just have one a day/night with her food. x

PilgrimPat 06-15-2015 04:35 AM

First of all, congrats on 23. It was a 'big deal' when I had just 7.

The initial 'rush' of being sober can make some of us manic. I did/was. And you'll hit that wall you mentioned. And, yes, NA beer can be slippery (I know from experience).

It's your brain telling you that 'we need' something to drink. After years of alcohol, your brain is trying to cope with being without it. Fortunately, it will 'adjust' after time. But, it takes time.

I've learned through my sobriety that it takes time (2 months in my case) for your head to get straight. At times it really sucked and at your wit's end you want to reach for that bottle, which I have done several times. Fight that. Think of booze as the enemy that wants to destroy you, which it does. Focus on that if it helps.

All that being said, I wish you good luck with getting sober. It really is a tough row. But there *is* sunlight at the end of that transition. Clouds might be gathering now but they will clear up and you'll see it. Promise.

Dee74 06-15-2015 04:39 AM

hey ML

It was really hard for me to deal with bad days, but the more I did it, the easier they got...

you'll wake up tomorrow you'll be glad you're sober and hopefully things will look a lot brighter.

D

IOAA2 06-15-2015 04:47 AM

Hi and congratulations.

Early on it was suggested to me to drink a lot of fluids as my body was used to the 4PM “feeding” it had received for too many years. Another suggestion which I liked was to increase my intake of sugar based things, for me ice cream, in moderation for a short period to replace the sugar produces by the alcohol.

Old ideas but still helpful.

BE WELL

CaseyW 06-15-2015 06:37 AM

Ice cream is always good medicine in early recovery. I second that suggestion.

You did the right thing coming on here and talking about your feelings. Just remember, you don't have to take that first drink no matter what. Drinking isn't going to solve your problems, but it very well may make them worse. Keep posting in here every minute if you have to until the urges go away. We're here for you!

PurpleKnight 06-15-2015 01:56 PM

Great job on Day 23!! You can do this!! :scoregood

Soberwolf 06-15-2015 02:40 PM

Way to go Messyliver your doing great keep on keeping on

Delilah1 06-15-2015 03:31 PM

Great job on 23 days, I am at 28 today, and white wine is always my temptation. I havent had any in the house because I was afraid I would cave.

Hope that tomorrow is a better day.:)

Dee74 06-15-2015 03:34 PM

How are you doing ML?

D

Dee74 06-15-2015 03:34 PM

How are you doing ML?

D

Anna 06-15-2015 04:27 PM

Good for you for getting to Day 23.

The hard days will get easier as you move along in recovery.