Notices

Addicted in secret

Old 06-15-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good for you, Faker! My previous quit attempts were half hearted and I failed easily. Then I tried moderation. ha! May as well be a 4 letter word that means awful, unsatisfying, and host of other words the = no fun/no pleasure.

I did the vast majority of my drinking at home. Just like you it seems. You have to get into a routine that is different at home. A routine saved me this go around. Now after nearly a month I'm not struggling at all at home. My daily routine no longer includes drinking so my brain/body no longer "expects it". The urges are much more fleeting and short lived now. Quite manageable.

However, I am in no way ready to face a big test at all. No big get together bbq's with the friends. No group camping trips. No trips to the bar to see my friend's band. No outdoor festivals with beer carts at every corner. I will be able to go there safely in the future. I'm certain of that. But that time is not now. I need a whole lot more to lose than 30 days before testing those waters.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Hi Faker !! And welcome to one of the best places you will ever stumble upon.

I'm the author of that story about two bottles of wine a night. And while I continued to struggle for even a few MORE years after that post, I can happily say, I'm coming up (FINALLY) on 6 months sober.

We are glad to have you here and look forward to sharing in your journey back to your REAL self.

Welcome !!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Hi Faker !! And welcome to one of the best places you will ever stumble upon.

I'm the author of that story about two bottles of wine a night. And while I continued to struggle for even a few MORE years after that post, I can happily say, I'm coming up (FINALLY) on 6 months sober.

We are glad to have you here and look forward to sharing in your journey back to your REAL self.

Welcome !!!!
Thank you alphaomega.
Your story really hit it home for me. Awesome on 6 months sober! I am so grateful to have found this place of people who understand. Feeling shaky (physically) this morning, but have a firm plan in place for tonight!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MisterChill View Post
Good for you, Faker! My previous quit attempts were half hearted and I failed easily. Then I tried moderation. ha! May as well be a 4 letter word that means awful, unsatisfying, and host of other words the = no fun/no pleasure.

I did the vast majority of my drinking at home. Just like you it seems. You have to get into a routine that is different at home. A routine saved me this go around. Now after nearly a month I'm not struggling at all at home. My daily routine no longer includes drinking so my brain/body no longer "expects it". The urges are much more fleeting and short lived now. Quite manageable.

However, I am in no way ready to face a big test at all. No big get together bbq's with the friends. No group camping trips. No trips to the bar to see my friend's band. No outdoor festivals with beer carts at every corner. I will be able to go there safely in the future. I'm certain of that. But that time is not now. I need a whole lot more to lose than 30 days before testing those waters.
MisterChill, great encouragement to know it will get easier at home. Can't wait for that day. I am worried about the coming weekend. Going to a large camping trip with lots of drinkers around. Our camp will be dry, but booze is always offered. Need a plan to stay away from the temptation to say yes. Maybe stay at the pool all day with the kids where alcohol is not allowed and take lots of walks into town to stay away from the group.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Faker, I was a closet drinker too. I always drank at home, hiding it from my family. At least I hid it until they found out. You are lucky to be aware of your problem now. I was close to losing my family and my health before I stopped drinking. My witching hour was early evening, so I started going out walking and it made a world of difference in so many aspects of my life.

You can do this!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Faker!!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

welcome!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So much for plans. Buying an ingredient for dinner and the siren call of the wine section screamed in my head. I bought a bottle of my poison and went home and poured a glass. I took three swallows and then screwed up my courage and dumped the rest of the glass and the bottle down the drain. I so badly want to be sober so I can find myself. I so badly want to be sober so I can enjoy my relationships. I may have to stay away from the grocery store. How can I succeed?
Old 06-15-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Good for you !!!! Dumping it was a HUGE move towards your healing.