Notices

How do YOU grow spiritually?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do YOU grow spiritually?

I was just wondering...wanted to develope a better understanding of spirituality. I was wondering how do YOU grow spiritually?
Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I used to live my life very independently. I did and drank what I wanted. When I decided to live a sober life and grow spiritually, I realized that those who had taken that journey before could offer me insight. So even though it is old-fashioned, I use the Twelve Steps of AA to grow spiritually.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, it's a very slow, day-by-day process. It's like going to university. You don't get your master's degree over night. It takes years of work, effort and time.

Same goes for spirituality. It's a constant process of teaching yourself to view the world in a certain light, and act accordingly.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a saying that goes around in the sobriety "Circles"..."The first year of sobriety and recovery is physical. The second year is mental and the third year is Spiritual"...so. I'am think it is something that cant be rushed, but you must remain "Open" to it.

Hope this helps.

DD
Old 06-14-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great topic/question! It can be difficult to grow "spiritually". I try very hard to study and practice compassion and patience. The former isn't too hard but the latter gives me fits. I also have to work very hard to overcome inflexibility with people. It's hard for me to accept that I can't always deal with people on my terms all the time.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I used to live my life very independently. I did and drank what I wanted. When I decided to live a sober life and grow spiritually, I realized that those who had taken that journey before could offer me insight. So even though it is old-fashioned, I use the Twelve Steps of AA to grow spiritually.

Hi.
Old fashioned has been working about 80 years and still work IF we work em.

BE WELL
Old 06-14-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being attuned to the needs of others in my interactions with them helps me grow spiritually. I try to be patient about getting what I need from others and reach out to others to help them.

The motivation can come from many channels. I talk regularly with a group of people with a similar spiritual outlook to my own. I also actively participate in a church that is not...how do I say this...oppressive.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think it happens diffrently for everyone
Old 06-14-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Daily reading, prayer and meditation.........
Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do a handful of things to grow spiritually, but I'm pretty certain the 2 most important are:

1. To practice having as open a mind as I possibly can.

2. To pray earnestly, asking for a better understanding and strengthening of my faith.

Other things include reading lots, meditating, exercising, taking care of my health, utilizing the 12 steps to the best of my ability, etc.

Something that has really been helpful to me in the past few months has been Serius XM radio. Started listened to Joel Olsteen on my way to work, and it's really been having an effect. I go into work with a completely different attitude than I generally do, and I'm noticing that it has a snowball effect. I can be the typical early morning grumpy guy, but when I go in with a smile and looking forward to the day, caring about others it's amazing the things that start happening. I don't actually even believe a lot of Joel's message, and have to work past a lot of the "Jesus", "God", and "He" stuff, but I find what he says applicable by just putting my own words/thinking into those spots. I was never a big believer that "God" (as in a person looking over me) exists, but I do believe in undefinable powers in the universe that I can pray and submit to. And I can easily call those powers god. Das all .
Old 06-14-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a bit lost spiritually and I used a couple of books to help me.

"A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle
"A Return to Love" by Marianne Williams
"The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav
Old 06-14-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A Return to Love I think was one of, if not THE best spiritual book I ever read. Me thinks I might read it again .

Another really good one was Wayne Dyer's There is a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LOL. Just clicked over to facebook and this was the first post that popped up. My link took me to to the 10:17 spot, not sure if this will do the same. But right there he's talkin Maryanne Williamson, Course in Miracles stuff . Who'd have thunk it with this guy...

Jim Carrey's Commencement Speech at Maharishi University | Omeleto
Old 06-14-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have learnt so much about myself and my spiritual side simply by reading SR, this is a great place, plenty of different perspectives, journeys, experiences that I've picked up a lot.

Spirituality for me though isn't to do with god/religion etc, but that doesn't mean I don't have a spiritual side, that's been my biggest lesson from all the great folks here on SR!!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also think it's a little different for everyone, but I'd think the first step would be to eliminate all drugs and substances that hinder spirituality or cloud the mind.

That being done, the rest would be practising keeping an open mind consciously, maybe questioning everything and practising certain principles that are kept sacred in the mind.

On the other activity side I would say some kind of meditation. It may actually be the most powerful tool to grow spiritually. The consept of God never worked for me, but for some it may work. I think learning perceptive manners in day to day life could be really valuable. Noticing your own thoughts and constantly challenging yourself. Trying to notice your own mistakes and limitations, and find ways around or above them.

This is an interesting topic to read.