SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My brain is kinda freakin me out. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/369510-my-brain-kinda-freakin-me-out.html)

alphaomega 06-13-2015 04:54 PM

My brain is kinda freakin me out.

Rounding 6 months and something really bizarre started happening the last few days.

While driving down the road, I suddenly felt like I was on the wrong side of the street. I was convinced my car was going the wrong way. If not for the other cars going in my same direction, I would have changed paths.

Colors are extremely vivid and morphing together. My hearing sounds like there's water in my ears. I haven't swam but it sounds like I'm hearing things underwater. My body is in full protest and everything aches.

But I'm not feeling unwell. At all. In fact, I feel pretty darn good despite my maladies (?) if that makes a lick of sense (?)

Healing the old gray matter ? Please say yes. :)

ArtFriend 06-13-2015 04:57 PM

Oh dear... that doesn't sound good AO. Please see a doctor so you can see if it is something serious or not. Hope it's not!!

zjw 06-13-2015 04:59 PM

I went through a phase where things where really vivid and like I was just watching life go by as if nothing was real and i was watching a show. colors details incredibly alive and vivid etc.. I later found this was basicly de-realization. in my case no big deal it past and to be honest i grew to enjoy that state of mind. feeling as if nothing was real made everything seem so much more tolerable and exciting.

zjw 06-13-2015 05:00 PM

one wierd one i do have tho is routinely i leave the house and have to check that i have pants on. I'm not sure where this new phobia came from.

silentrun 06-13-2015 05:05 PM

I had trouble driving at the 4 month mark. I kept trying to steer in the ditch. I had the vision thing too especially in high light with bright colors. That one was right around 6 months. The hearing for me was more like I couldn't filter out background noise.
All those symptoms could be explainable by healing but better check it out AO.

PurpleKnight 06-13-2015 05:07 PM

About 6 months in, I was starting to have some dizzy/light headed/weird spells!!

For me it ended up an imbalance in my blood sugar, I got checked out and things are fine now, but anything concerning I'd get it checked out!!

Stay safe, the body is a great piece of kit!! :)

Dee74 06-13-2015 05:08 PM

I've never experienced anything like that AO.,,,doesn't mean it's not a 'thing' tho...:dunno:

D

silentrun 06-13-2015 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by zjw (Post 5420376)
I went through a phase where things where really vivid and like I was just watching life go by as if nothing was real and i was watching a show. colors details incredibly alive and vivid etc.. I later found this was basicly de-realization. in my case no big deal it past and to be honest i grew to enjoy that state of mind. feeling as if nothing was real made everything seem so much more tolerable and exciting.

Do tell! I had some dissociation with the vision and hearing thing. I also read that depression can affect the way the brain reads contrast in colors. It can take awhile to go back to normal even after the depression lifts. It honestly felt like I went from a 2d to a 3d world when it happened.

Debbie329 06-13-2015 05:20 PM

AO.....pls lets us know what you find out about this... In response to purple knight.......I've been thinking about getting my blood sugar checked too.....I'm finding out that sugar really affects me.........last night I ate 2 fun size pay days......and it was like NyQuil .........passed right out and slept like a baby all night.

zjw 06-13-2015 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by silentrun (Post 5420395)
Do tell! I had some dissociation with the vision and hearing thing. I also read that depression can affect the way the brain reads contrast in colors. It can take awhile to go back to normal even after the depression lifts. It honestly felt like I went from a 2d to a 3d world when it happened.

yeah thats one way to decrive it 2d to 3d. I felt like i was just walking around on a movie set everything was a prop or an actor everything was very vivid. I was rather detatched from reality and could watch reality go on around me but felt as if i stood on the outside.

I think this happened to me because going from a drunken depressed state to the real world the shock was so much my brain pulled this stunt on me to protect my phsyche otherwise I might have lost it more. This detatchment per say kept me safe through that time. I honestly was scared at first but grew to like it and was happy in my own little world.

As a result i can pop back into this mindset too at times.

so yeah spooky at first but comforting.

almost like it was all a dream and any min i might wake up.

Della1968 06-13-2015 05:43 PM

Oh my gosh AO my brain is tweaking too and I am almost 6 months as well. We can be freaked out together :)

silentrun 06-13-2015 05:46 PM

That is pretty near my experience. I felt like everything was a stage and I has this overwhelming sense of connectivity between all living things. Also this profound sense of compassion overtook me. I actually took an online test for dissociative disorder and I scored low even though I was trippen ballz. I can slip into it again when I want too.

sva777 06-13-2015 05:51 PM

I am just over 5 months and I get weird sensations like you guys at random times. It is easier to handle than the awful anxiety I had for the first 2 months so that's a plus.

Fly N Buy 06-13-2015 06:23 PM

This probably doesn't apply - but thought is mention it. Right at 6 months I went and got checked out by a dentist - turns out a lot of "us" have dental issues. I had an infection in a tooth - bad dizzy spells and surrealistic moments.

A round of antibiotics and some work on the choppers and bingo - the fog lifted.
Something to maybe consider.

Well done on rounding out 6 months = awesome!

GroundhogDay 06-13-2015 06:25 PM

I am at 5.5 months sober. Last night I "fell" against the wall and bruised my arm.

DuhDave 06-13-2015 06:32 PM

Interesting. I had a similar experience at 5 months on a previous quit attemp.

I was stopped at a red light and looked in my rearview mirror and this semi truck was on my bumper...so close I hoped he wouldnt hit me. It pissed me off !
I looked away to see if the light was changing yet and looked back into the rear view and it was ...gone! No one was behind me !

I looked across the intersection at the oncoming traffic lanes and what did I see?...I saw that semi truck !

Only happened 1 time. Once was enough. Quite un-nerving to say the least. It has never happened again or anythig wierd, like it.

DD

DuhDave 06-13-2015 06:38 PM

I understand that withdrawel from a drug called Amnytriptoline (sp) will give you wierd depersonalization experiences. It is an anti-biotic but is also used for mental issues like depression.

Just thought of this.

DD

MIRecovery 06-13-2015 06:39 PM

I went through similar symptoms I went to the same AA meeting everyday for 4 months. One day I drove past it and realized I had no idea where I was. I also noticed colors being more intense and the cool thing is the intensity never went away

alphaomega 06-13-2015 06:50 PM

Thank you everyone for your insight. I have had general anxiety disorder my whole life - drank my whole life - was born addicted - and started binge drinking at 4 years old to prevent my mom from drinking. So this old gray matter of mine has seen some crazy times.

I know depersonalization from lifelong panic attacks. But this was different. It was like left was right, and right was wrong, and technicolor ruled the roost.

I have been hitting the sugar pretty hard, to stave off these darn relentless cravings. And my AD should be in full swing now. I wasn't scared just more like - huh. Would you look at that ? No panic. No detachment. Just hmmmmm.

It might behoove me to see a neurologist to see just how bad the damage is.

Or maybe, some things are better left unknown ? :)

DuhDave 06-13-2015 08:04 PM

AO...do you test your blood glucose (sugar). It's simple to do and everthing you need is sold over the counter.

I keep track of mine regularly.

DD