Notices

Shakin off a binge...

Old 06-13-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shakin off a binge...

Yesterday morning I had 'just one'.

Then by mid morning two more.

One in the afternoon. One after dinner, then two HUGE ones during Jurassic World. Along with a giant box of candy.

Between the coffees and the sodas and the sugar.... I couldn't sleep until almost 1:30 am.

This morning I was so groggy and feeling minted and weak - I had to go to Starbucks first thing; hair of the dog.

I know it's not 'as bad' and I'll take excessive caffeine over drugs or alcohol any day; but damn if caffeine and sugar don't do some of the very same things... Follow the very same patterns.

I'm glad to be sober today. Just reflecting on the similarities of addiction..... Even with things we don't really think of as addiction 'problems'.

Funny enough, it actually kind of helps me remember why I choose sober life. It could easily be shaking, nausea, emerging from a haze of blackout, wrapped in shame and anxiety and feeling like death.... Heading on auto-pilot to the first open liquor store.

No.... Starbucks and cherry Pepsi and sweet tarts are nowhere near 'as bad'. But they're a stark reminder and - honestly - something I must deal with to continue deepening my sobriety.

Stay sober all.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can really relate to your post. I've been sober since March 31. I am consuming way too much caffeine and sugar!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You 'got me' again - at least for a moment before I thought "No way; FreeOwl didn't drink".

I don't drink as much coffee as you but enough (for me, anyway) to know that I have to cut back. I am making progress but it IS hard.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've got the sugar monkey on my back as well but I'm working on it. I "slipped" yesterday with a package of twizzlers, but I'm back on track today.

I too notice the similarities between booze & sugar and it's frightening. I know without a doubt I binge on sugar & get drunk on it. Just like I used to do with wine & beer. I've also experienced it with working out & shopping. Just more evidence I've got more work to do on me.

I'll get there.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That's a trade any of us would make. Sugar and caffeine are a lot better than booze and drugs.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't really up' my caffeine intake since I quit drinking, but I've had one veto Starbucks drink near everyday for the last... Who knows how many years? Unless I'm out of town and not near one, but I always have some sort of giant coffee drink to start the day. If I have a log work day I have one in the afternoon too.

I'm going to try and cut to out as well... Like you said, better than booze or drugs, but definitely not healthy! Especially not for an addict who may just be replacing one thing for another...
Old 06-13-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sugar, I gather, affects the same receptors in the brain as alcohol so it's not surprising that many of us go to sugar. IMHO, sugar is still better than drinking but it's not a long-term solution.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Scared me there for sec FreeOwl.

I can have a max of 3 cups or I start feeling funny in a bad way.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well glad this wasn't an alcohol binge. I had to read it twice to make sure I understood that it was caffeine you are talking about. Do you intentionally write it this way to fool everyone? I'm not sure I get it.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Caffeine is probably the second addiction I'm gonna have to sort out one of these days, drinking far too much at work.

I drink loads of green tea in the evenings though when I get home!!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know I need to reduce my caffeine intake. I agree with purpleknight, I love green tea! Although, I drank one of the mellow mood green tea's at work and it made me a little sleepy. It does warn on the bottle that it might cause drowsiness so I only drink it at home now.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
Well glad this wasn't an alcohol binge. I had to read it twice to make sure I understood that it was caffeine you are talking about. Do you intentionally write it this way to fool everyone? I'm not sure I get it.
While I've been know to pull a spoof more than once, my intention here was to illustrate the degree of similarity between my own behavior with addictive substances other than alcohol and drugs.

I wanted to clearly highlight how our patterns can still play out in other unhealthy wats and to shine a spotlight on the reminder that a sugar and caffeine binge can bring.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My first year of sobriety was a roller coaster of sugar binges for me. Felt horrible and still had consequences even though they were different then drinking consequences
Old 06-13-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've not made this a regular thing, but last night I couldn't get to sleep after too much caffeine and sugar and this morning two hours of martial arts and two hours of trail running were a huge sweaty struggle as a result. The lack of energy, the heaviness, the heart pounding.... It was a definite price paid.

In sobriety I am finding that there are many other aspects of healthiness and other forms of addiction to be faced.

It's all a process.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You know... I don't know...

"Shaking off a binge" might seem like a joke to you, but not to others...
Old 06-13-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No.

It doesn't seem like a joke.

It seems like an accurate description of my experience.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fine. I'm really sorry to hear you had too much coffee. Hope you can get it under control.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

FO, sorry to hear yer still struggling with the caffeine. Maybe a HAMS worksheet for harm redux could help. I feel mucho better after 2 weeks w/out. 1.5 cups every morning is my limit now. No more e drinks either. Best wishes to ya!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I wanted to clearly highlight how our patterns can still play out in other unhealthy wats and to shine a spotlight on the reminder that a sugar and caffeine binge can bring.
Thank you for the explanation. Yea, funny how patterns of behavior cross over to other aspects of our lives and we don't notice until we put down the drink.