Notices

Still no luck finding work after being fired

Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still no luck finding work after being fired

Sober this time since December. Since I was fired for coming to work after drinking, I can't get a job.

I need fresh perspectives on what to say at job interviews. Not to lie, but just be vague. And if they dig and persist on the exact circumstances of the termination, do I just admit it? I wouldn't know what else to say. "I'd rather not discuss what company policy I broke."?

It's hard enough to get an interview when they see terminated on the application. I imagine most places just throw them out.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been in your position Leo, but I know others will have advice for you

Best wishes anyway

D
Old 06-12-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi I think employers would worry about fraud or jail time when they see terminated on a form. Drug use comes next.

A drinking problem affects a lot of people. I'd be honest and say 'poor attendance due to problems with alcohol' and show that you've taken steps to sort yourself out.

They will either take a chance on you or they won't. And at least they have all the facts when trying to decide.

Good luck
Old 06-12-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Leo,

I don't know what kind of work you do but it is usually preferable to look for work through your network. Unfortunately, people with our past have often neglected or alienated their network. If you have time on your hands, you may want to try volunteering and then put out the word that you are looking for work. People are much more likely to hire you if you come with a recommendation from someone they know rather than as just an application or resume with some ugliness on it.

Best of luck.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a tough one. Were you really terminated for drinking? I don't think a former employer can divulge that to anyone calling for a reference. You said you were terminated for coming to work after drinking. Had you gotten warnings? I'm not as educated on HR issues as I used to be but it seems it wouldn't be that easy for an employer to terminate someone for drinking unless you endangered someone? You don't say what type of work you do and what type of interviews you are going on. What type of work are you looking for?
Old 06-13-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would say I was going through a very difficult time in my life i got help I need and those problems are behind me. Make it short and sweet with no explanations
Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Hi Leo, you'll get a job - it's just about how you package yourself.

Couple of questions - what sort of work are you looking for? and, why are you putting terminated on your applications? Is it essential you do that?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It can be tough. I've had to start rebuilding work history from scratch. At one point last year I was working 4 part-time, as-needed jobs to keep beans on the table. Those months of effort resulted in a full time job that I'll use to get a better job.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The department of labor got me my job, (unemployment office) they had a program that i took testing for all sorts of skills, then i was home studying computers and they called with a job for me, I wasn't fired from a job but have a bad record tho.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Depends on what type of job you are looking for. If you are simply submiting form applications, it will be tough. But if you are submitting resumes or CVs, that will afford you the opportunity to explain what happened. You want to get an interview where you can sit down face to face and discuss. Just handing in an application with the question "have you ever been terminated?" checked off most likely will be put in the circular file. But I don't know the type of job you are seeking.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can only speak from my experience as a manager who hired around 6 or 7 people over the space of 10 years. I've checked many references and had to deal with my boss as well. Unfortunately although alcoholism is a physical condition (brain receptors seriously affected), there is still a lot of stigma. I would be very cautious about revealing it. I like MIRecovery's suggested response. I also like the suggestion about volunteer work to establish that you are a reliable person.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have worked in Human Resources for smaller companies for the last 25 years. Here is a little advice that comes to mind....

A lot of small (under 50) don't even check references.

Many references don't dare to say anything negative. They will verify dates and salary only. Once in a while someone will answer "would you rehire"

Find a way to explain your gap in work history. You could say that you took time off to care for a sick family member. That is true. Don't say it was you, and don't, absolutely don't mention alcoholism!!!!

Pay to have your resume professionally done, and print out on a nicer paper. Triple check there are no spelling errors!

WEAR A SUIT or a DRESS to the interview!!! Appearance counts!

Arrive a few minutes early, 10 is good. Sit in the parking lot for a few minutes and come to the door 5 minutes early.

Don't ask for coffee, water or to use the bathroom!

Speak respectfully, be interested in the company. Ask for a tour if the interview is going well.

Have a pen, and a clean copy of your resume.
If asked to fill out an application, please write as NEATLY as possible.
Believe it or not, that gets you up in the pile.....

Look the interviewer in the eye.

Those are a few that come to mind, GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I would say I was going through a very difficult time in my life i got help I need and those problems are behind me. Make it short and sweet with no explanations
I thought of saying this. But what if they ask what those problems were and how they caused me to get fired?

As for putting 'terminated' on the applications, I don't know what else to put. Lying can get you fired in your next job. I do mechanical work.

All good advice so far. I'm going to a couple more places Monday and I'm trying to get prepared. My resume could use some work. I tried to keep it straight to the point and outlined my skills and history.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't the apps usually ask reason for leaving last job? That's where I would put the personal issues that were addressed instead of terminated. Good luck I was out of work 5 months but now have a job I love. Things seem to naturally progress when you keep doing the right thing.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't use the word terminated. The main thing is to get in for an interview which would give you a chance to explain. And, I'd be surprised if your company would divulge that information if a prospective employer called and asked them. At a couple of large companies I worked for they would simply say, yes MsX worked here from (date) to (date) and say absolutely nothing more.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Most applications give a small area to put a reason for leaving. Then under some say if fired, explain why. But most just that small space to put quit, fired (or a better word for it), laid off, etc. I applied for a post office job and they wanted to know everything about your life. Two tests, extensive explanations for things, etc. It all depends on the company.

A couple I filled out online wanted to know if you were fired, why you were fired, from what company, the address of the company, what date, etc. I mean they really dig.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I wouldn't use the word terminated. The main thing is to get in for an interview which would give you a chance to explain. And, I'd be surprised if your company would divulge that information if a prospective employer called and asked them. At a couple of large companies I worked for they would simply say, yes MsX worked here from (date) to (date) and say absolutely nothing more.
That's what my ex employer said. She can only give the dates of employment.

Applications also have a check box asking if they can contact the company and ask about your character. I'm not sure what that involves. You always have to give your last supervisor's name. I was on great terms with him though. He fought for me to keep my last job.

The reason terminology though. Terminated, fired, dismissed, discharged all sound bad.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just put personal. That should fit.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hang in there Leo!! Something will come up!!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think this is really important to remember that the main thing is to get in to interview so focus on your skills and what you can bring to the job rather than the things that will prevent you from getting an interview.

When a prospective employer is looking at your resume you will get to the next stage if they feel like they need to know more about you.

Are there that many jobs that ask you to fill out an application though? I find this sort of thing so impersonal as I'd want to hire a human being not someone that fills the boxes out best. Maybe look for jobs where they require a resume/profile and not old fashioned applications, they sound laborious. I know this sounds easy, I don't know what the job market is like where you are but having to fill out an application would make me feel like I am 'being processed' rather than hired for being a great individual so you might be in for a better work experience being hired from a resume submission.

I think you might be surprised how employers are more interested in the personality and skills that are sitting in front of them at interview rather than drilling you about reasons for leaving past jobs which, if questioned, maybe say something like you left to do a short course in *some area of mechanics* to skill up that you had wanted to do for a while (and make sure you have an enthusiastic answer), or some other positive spin.. the fact it coincided with you being fired, they don't need to know about.