Notices

Still no luck finding work after being fired

Old 06-16-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips. I'll get through it.

I keep reading sites on how to answer the question, and most are saying be honest and explain the situation. It's not that simple in this case. If they ask for an exact reason, point blank, I'm not sure how I'd react without looking like I'm hiding something.

I appreciate the wishes.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

You may find they don't even ask the question... most times they don't.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeoMaximus View Post

I really don't want to stack lie on top of lie for the rest of my life because of one mistake.
No you don't. You will always live miserably and in fear if you lie. You will never be at peace. We have a wonderful saying in Italian" male non fare, paura non avere" "Don't do wrong and you will never have fear"

I, under no circumstances, would lie. If asked I would tell the truth, weaved in the most positive way. "When I was fired from xyz job I was in a really bad spot. I was drinking to excess and I showed up at work after a long night of drinking and was in no condition to work. Absolutely rightfully so my superior asked me to leave and I was terminated from my position. I had a great relationship with my supervisor and the company and feel that, outside this particular episode, was a great employee. I hold no ill will towards the company and would have done the same thing in their position. Fortunately this event served as a wake up call and I have since received help for the difficulties I was facing at that time. I am really looking forward to getting back to work to complete my new, emotionally stable and healthy life."
Old 06-17-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
No you don't. You will always live miserably and in fear if you lie. You will never be at peace. We have a wonderful saying in Italian" male non fare, paura non avere" "Don't do wrong and you will never have fear"

I, under no circumstances, would lie. If asked I would tell the truth, weaved in the most positive way. "When I was fired from xyz job I was in a really bad spot. I was drinking to excess and I showed up at work after a long night of drinking and was in no condition to work. Absolutely rightfully so my superior asked me to leave and I was terminated from my position. I had a great relationship with my supervisor and the company and feel that, outside this particular episode, was a great employee. I hold no ill will towards the company and would have done the same thing in their position. Fortunately this event served as a wake up call and I have since received help for the difficulties I was facing at that time. I am really looking forward to getting back to work to complete my new, emotionally stable and healthy life."
No matter how true or sincere that may be, I'd think it would send up a huge red flag.

Say I relapsed and did it again on their time, and someone was injured. And they hired me knowing why I was fired. Wouldn't that put them in a bad spot? I doubt they'd be willing to take that risk. I don't think I would if I were a hiring manager.

But, we'll see how it goes.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I read some information a Probation Officer posted on FB about what to say on an application and what to say in an interview. On an application you put a comment that says you will explain in the interview and be honest and accurate with your information.

My thoughts are with you. I'm going to be looking for work here in a bit too and I have some legal history now.