Still no luck finding work after being fired

Old 06-13-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you find a good job soon.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

from what i can gather they cant ask why you where let go just give start and end dates.

I'd be inclined get references doesnt have to be a supervisor could be anyone you worked with lean on them to vouch for you.

I might even go so far as to say I have not finished working there yet and i'm not comfortable with you calling as they dunno i'm looking even. or you can call but my old supervisor is long since gone maybe talk to this guy etc.. I dunno something.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Don't tell anyone you got fired ........ You left for personal reasons and they hired someone to take your place while you were gone.......your skills were necessary to the company and they couldn't wait for you ...... Done. Look them in the eye when ou say you left for personal reasons.....it was personal.....you worked on yourself ..... And now your sober but do not mention booze......nope. Forget about that. And be confident but not cocky......you want to come off as competent.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have worked for more companies than you can imagine as both an employee and consultant.........I must be at 30 or 40.........anyway.....interviews are conversations.......treat them like that. Good luck I'm sure you'll land on your feet.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mebutmuchbetter View Post
I think this is really important to remember that the main thing is to get in to interview so focus on your skills and what you can bring to the job rather than the things that will prevent you from getting an interview.

When a prospective employer is looking at your resume you will get to the next stage if they feel like they need to know more about you.

Are there that many jobs that ask you to fill out an application though? I find this sort of thing so impersonal as I'd want to hire a human being not someone that fills the boxes out best. Maybe look for jobs where they require a resume/profile and not old fashioned applications, they sound laborious. I know this sounds easy, I don't know what the job market is like where you are but having to fill out an application would make me feel like I am 'being processed' rather than hired for being a great individual so you might be in for a better work experience being hired from a resume submission.

I think you might be surprised how employers are more interested in the personality and skills that are sitting in front of them at interview rather than drilling you about reasons for leaving past jobs which, if questioned, maybe say something like you left to do a short course in *some area of mechanics* to skill up that you had wanted to do for a while (and make sure you have an enthusiastic answer), or some other positive spin.. the fact it coincided with you being fired, they don't need to know about.

I saw an ad in the paper for a company I actually interviewed with years ago. The same position. They seemed to like me then and called me in for a second interview, but said they had one other candidate to consider. Maybe it'll work out this time now that I have more experience under my belt.

But yes, most jobs take resumes and applications online now at the same time. That's the new trend. I even rode around one day looking at places where I'd fit. I'd either see a sign that said not taking applications, or to apply online.

Things are very impersonal now. Nothing like it was when I was job hunting before. But the section for "were you ever fired, why, and from what company" is what's tricky. If you check 'no' and they find out later...

Maybe I'm making this into an inquisition in my head. I'll just try take some of the advice here and not stress over the negative.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

If you check no and they find out later, the worst that can happen is either they won't employ you or if you get the job and they find out, worst case scenario you'll get fired again but I'm 99.9% certain if you fill it all out, warts and all, they won't call you.

I read your last comment two or three times "Maybe I'm making this into an inquisition in my head. I'll just try take some of the advice here and not stress over the negative."

Sounds a bit cheesy but positive mindset will get you a long way, you'll fall down a couple of times but pick yourself up again, smile, carry on, you'll get a job if the will is there for sure.

Go back and read newpage119's post again too. Your perception of things will likely turn out to be very different to actual hiring processes. Employers primarily want to know that you can do the job, you'll be surprised how many things employers fail to cover off when hiring someone.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mebutmuchbetter View Post
If you check no and they find out later, the worst that can happen is either they won't employ you or if you get the job and they find out, worst case scenario you'll get fired again but I'm 99.9% certain if you fill it all out, warts and all, they won't call you.

I read your last comment two or three times "Maybe I'm making this into an inquisition in my head. I'll just try take some of the advice here and not stress over the negative."

Sounds a bit cheesy but positive mindset will get you a long way, you'll fall down a couple of times but pick yourself up again, smile, carry on, you'll get a job if the will is there for sure.

Go back and read newpage119's post again too. Your perception of things will likely turn out to be very different to actual hiring processes. Employers primarily want to know that you can do the job, you'll be surprised how many things employers fail to cover off when hiring someone.
Checking 'no' to the having been fired issue is a huge risk for the future, though. That would be two firings back to back if they found out, and I'd have to explain both of those at yet another interview. It wouldn't be simply wording the truth in a certain way, but blatantly lying then signing the paper.

I really don't want to stack lie on top of lie for the rest of my life because of one mistake. Not all applications ask that, though. So far it's been maybe 25% of the ones I've filled out. Usually the bigger companies will ask. A lot of people around here know each other also. It's on the rural side and my last company was big. Chances of them knowing someone who worked there are high.

Luckily the last one that I hope will call just required a resume. I have all the qualifications they were looking for and the "pluses". Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Fair enough, if you don't feel comfortable. Sounds like the resume route might be better for you.

I work in sales and now in my 40s I'd say I have had 20-30 different jobs since I left school, including part time jobs. Well over half of the jobs I have had never followed up references, maybe as high as 75%. Just stay positive, and at interview, show them that you love the job you do and it won't take long for someone to snap you up
Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've been through that. Combining being fired with long term unemployment (alcohol was more important than work ) makes it very difficult to get a job.

I finally gave up to an extent and started my own business.

Still looking for a job, though, since I like being employed. Finally, am bypassing the normal job advert / application form method and cold calling for jobs instead because you have a better chance of explaining in an interview.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. I guess there's no one size fits all answer here. I've been hearing 'let go' or 'involuntarily separated' can look better than terminated since they can mean a lot of things. There's a lot of information on this out there. A LOT of it is conflicting. One site says say it was for personal reasons. Another says don't say personal reasons. One says use the word terminated, and another not to use the word terminated. I know saying I had health issues that have been dealt with, which would be true. Then that would send up a red flag. "This person may miss a lot of time".

I came here since I'm sure many have been in the same boat and there are ways of bouncing back. I know it's not going to be easy with the limited jobs in my area. I almost feel like I'm rolling the dice. I wish I never, ever picked up a drink that day. I'm sure we've all said that more than once.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Another thing that just popped into my mind...

Be persistent! The last person we hired sent out his resume several times...I think I got it 10 times...

And finally said, "Let's interview this guy, he is really TRYING!"
He came to the interview well dressed and polite and got the job!
And he had a 2 year layoff......
Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You could simply say that you were let go for not meeting your quota. This will leave the reason for your dismissal really vague and allow you to move on in the interview process.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newpage119 View Post
Another thing that just popped into my mind...

Be persistent! The last person we hired sent out his resume several times...I think I got it 10 times...

And finally said, "Let's interview this guy, he is really TRYING!"
He came to the interview well dressed and polite and got the job!
And he had a 2 year layoff......
I agree. A family member got his last job after calling HR a few times asking about it. That was after the interview, though.

This whole thing is draining. It's a combination of being physically and mentally damaged by years of alcohol abuse, and the stress of what's going on right now. Haven't slept a full night in months. I'll sleep for a couple hours and wake up with a panic attack, then pace around the house until I'm calm again.

It's really hard to focus on anything in that state. Which worries me if someone calls about a job interview. Will I be alert enough to present myself properly? Will I look like I've just been through hell and back?

I'm currently trying to get on some type of medication just to help me remain calm and sleep. Alcohol used to do that. And I'm not going back to what nearly destroyed me in more ways than one.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I lost my job through drinking and also have a lot of convictions spread from 93-05. So getting a job straight is hard, I get work through agencies, this gets my foot in the door, then once the question of work history or convictions comes up they already know me.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWalkTheLine View Post
I lost my job through drinking and also have a lot of convictions spread from 93-05. So getting a job straight is hard, I get work through agencies, this gets my foot in the door, then once the question of work history or convictions comes up they already know me.
What type of agencies? Like a temp agency?

I thought about applying to one. I know they hire felons since they would provide workers for my old job. If they don't hire me I give up.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

If at all , you have to explain the long break from last employment, there is no need to use strong words like" was terminated ". As a senior manager, I have hired many candidates, who had mentioned words " was made redundant " .. This actually happened to many people during last economic crisis and it keeps happening in many parts of the world... Off course, it depends on the kind of the job and how big or small is the corporate circuit you live in..
Old 06-15-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imtehaan View Post
If at all , you have to explain the long break from last employment, there is no need to use strong words like" was terminated ". As a senior manager, I have hired many candidates, who had mentioned words " was made redundant " .. This actually happened to many people during last economic crisis and it keeps happening in many parts of the world... Off course, it depends on the kind of the job and how big or small is the corporate circuit you live in..
I already have an answer for the long break if asked about that. It's just every application I've ever filled out asks the reason for leaving your old job. And yeah it will depend on the company and the interviewer on how much information they'll want.

I can understand their viewpoint. They're looking out for the company's best interests and don't want to take a risk. With all the people looking for employment and few decent job openings in the area, they can be picky.

My work history isn't bad. I was at my other job for quite a few years. Now that can be seen as good; I'm not a job jumper. Or bad. "They let him go after x amount of years? He must have done something major".

I'll just have to do my best and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Edit: I'll soon have to sit in a room full of interviewers and explain why I was fired.

I'm a wreck. Don't know if I can get through it but I'll try.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You got an interview?? I would just go with the personal issues. No more no less. Just that you are at a point that you don't feel they will effect your job performance
Old 06-16-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Bottom line Leo is to go with what you are comfortable with. You are the one that's going to be sitting in the interview. As other's have said, don't offer up anything that will hurt your chances for the hire; otherwise, you might as well not apply in the first place. I definitely wouldn't mention alcohol, at all.

Maybe you meet in the middle with "I was let go because my employer and I just couldn't see eye to eye on several items". If they ask you to elaborate on that just tell them " I would prefer not to due to my personal beliefs". Anyway, just a thought.

Go in confident and have your responses rehearsed.

Best of luck, what ever you decide.