Notices

Sneaky little AV again... Nice try

Old 06-12-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sneaky little AV again... Nice try

"Just a sip" honestly... AV actually just tried that. I'm experiencing HALT (hungry angry lonely tired) right now like you would not believe... And am on day two back on the wagon after a binge that scared me more than I can explain (worst one to date)... Yet AV has the nerve to say "take a sip"... My body is experiencing cravings like you would not believe, and my most recent slip has prevented me from being able to go to work for the past three days (it was that bad) so I'm doing my best to stay busy - any suggestions for the physical cravings? My brain can stay busy, but my body is really suffering right now
Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is there a public pool around? Swimming in some nice cool water always feels good.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, physical exercise is the best thing for that nervous jittery feeling. Put on your shoes, go outside and walk.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sipping water and nibbling on fresh fruit works for me. It gives my hands something to do and rehydrates the body. The sugar in the fresh fruit is abt the healthy'est sugar there is and your body is probably craving sugar now.

The excercise idea is a very good one as well.

Hope this helps

You Can do this !

DD
Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the early days, my approach was " I can do anything - anything at all - except drink". Then see where that led me.

If you can go out, do. If you can't stay in and shout, scream, dance or stamp your feet. Smash something up. Build smething or if fix something.
Play a musical instrument if you can. Sing if you can't. Even if you can't sing

Lie still, meditate, breathe, cry, shiver, sweat,)can we say this here ?) bring yourself to orgasm. Perhaps avoid the latter If you are outdoors .

The point is - I feel - whatever you do - whatever it takes to get you away from that urge to 'just have a sip' - no matter how ridiculous or embarrassing - will be something g that you will later look back upon as a good thing to have done.

And infinitely better than the alternative.

Good luck, stay strong, you are doing fine, and your friends are here.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't ever forget that it's gets easier. The way your feeling isn't forever. I used to forget that.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I tried to be as gentle with myself as possible during that physical withdrawal phase. I ate frequent small meals, lots of fresh fruit, nuts and berries. I added some probiotics because of the state of my gut, and drank lots of fluids. I supplemented B vitamins and used melatonin to help me sleep. A hot shower helped me relax and I napped when I felt like it.

Some of these suggestions might not be appropriate for everyone - if in doubt please talk to your physician. That's a good idea regardless for anyone in this situation.

Hang in - the nerves settle down in a few days. It is soooo worth it! You will never regret your decision.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lots of water and long walks mixed with lots of time here on SR are a good combination. Some AA or other recovery meetings thrown in the mix will only make it even better.

Wishing you the best today! Thank you for being so honest about your cravings and for being brave enough to come here and ask for help. You are helping to keep me sober today. Thank you for that!