SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Not today AV. Not today. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/369402-not-today-av-not-today.html)

alphaomega 06-11-2015 07:43 PM

Not today AV. Not today.

Returned to the scene of my last epic binge over the holidays at my sanctuary by the sea . It's been almost six months since I was last here. And in the back of the fridge, amidst the outdated mayo and raspberry jelly, a bottle of my poison of choice.

Chardonnay.

There was a moment where it crossed my mind. But then I found I was already starting to plan what I would do when that bottle was finished.

That my friends, is what you call, alcoholism. I don't want a glass. I will NEVER want a glass. I want bottles and bottles and bottles.

Sobriety is just finally starting to get good again as I round out month five. I'm NOT going back. No way no shape no form.

And my new normal sure as heck beats chewing Xanax at 4:00 am.

Not today AV. And not tomorrow either.

ScottFromWI 06-11-2015 07:55 PM

Solid moves Alpha...and solid proof that what you are doing is working. Thanks for the reminder too...I'd be in to a 12 pack before I knew it if I ever even picked up one.

Venecia 06-11-2015 07:56 PM

Just to be on the safe side, you dumped the bottle, right?

I envy you. I live in a landlocked place and time by the sea is always precious to me. Enjoy, AO!

DuhDave 06-11-2015 08:14 PM

AO...I'am very glad for youu that the "Poison of the day...was NOT Chardonnay !

Good job !

(errr...you DID dump it...right?)

DD

alphaomega 06-11-2015 08:18 PM

Dumped. And bottle recycled. :)

CaseyW 06-11-2015 08:23 PM

Congratulations on deciding to not take that first drink. Good job and thanks for sharing!

RobbyRobot 06-11-2015 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by alphaomega (Post 5417956)
That my friends, is what you call, alcoholism. I don't want a glass. I will NEVER want a glass. I want bottles and bottles and bottles.

Sobriety is just finally starting to get good again as I round out month five. I'm NOT going back. No way no shape no form.

Damn straight you're not going back!!
None and done!! :hug:

alphaomega 06-12-2015 06:57 AM

I was thinking as I was walking this morning in 110% humidity, there was no way I could have done this hungover. Once, after a particularly insane binge, I had to call for a ride home. My face had turned purple and my heart rate was 150.

Oh the days of wine and the constant loom of a potential seizure....

firstymer 06-12-2015 08:05 AM

Way to go, AO. I am in roughly the same place as you. I think I've got control of my life, but once in a while, the AV returns. And even though I don't feel like I am on the uphill climb that I was in early sobriety, I guess there are still occasional obstacles to be avoided even when you are walking on a downhill slope.

I am really glad to hear that you are doing well. You have earned it. And you deserve it. :hug:

FarToGo 06-12-2015 08:15 AM

Great post, great reminder and motivator for me...... well done you and thanks!
x

Leshar 06-12-2015 10:12 AM

Hello AO, so well done, I'm happy for you!
Enjoy your sanctuary.

alphaomega 06-12-2015 10:22 AM

I caught an aerial glimpse of something huge moving in the water. I quickly realize it's a manatee and her calf. So I get all excited and call in the whole family to hear my lecture on manatee, and how they mother for three years, and the baby stays so close the whole time. And I go on and on about look how attached they are and omg isn't that so precious and I start to tear up and blab blah blah.

Then, the other manatee detached and went his separate way.

Yep. I witnessed a manatee booty call. :/

ArtFriend 06-12-2015 11:08 AM

LOL!! Cool! Even sea cows need love.

neferkamichael 06-12-2015 01:01 PM

Alphaomega, 5 months is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. Our AVs are sneaky SOBs, but they can be tamed. 5 years sober next month, rootin for ya. :egypt:
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...ffect/asas.jpg

Hevyn 06-12-2015 03:20 PM

AO - proud of you for rising above that temptation. I agree, it's never going to be 'a glass' for us ever again. Once we realize that, we can begin to heal. Have a lovely time by the water.

Kaneda8888 06-12-2015 03:21 PM

Well done. Rock solid defence. Go AO !

Dee74 06-12-2015 04:13 PM

Must have been an Aussie dugong AO, lol :)

D

Anna 06-12-2015 04:44 PM

I'm glad you're doing well, AO.

alphaomega 06-12-2015 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5418946)
Must have been an Aussie dugong AO, lol :)

D

Lol !!!

There was a woman swimming about 10 feet from them, completely oblivious to the goings on.

Makes you wonder what we miss while we're busy living. :)

:lala

Verte 06-12-2015 10:24 PM

Hi AO...just seeing this now. :) Woop! So glad that you are in a good place. I sure appreciate your posts and perspectives.

About those bottles and bottles and bottles. Whenever I imagine drinking a glass, all I can see is how even a trough held up before me - splashing and gurgling - would never be enough. Terrifies me a bit, actually.