Notices

Anyone want to cocoon until trouble passes?

Old 06-11-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Anyone want to cocoon until trouble passes?

Hi, so I'm trying to continue life, still fearing that I may have done irreversible damage to my brain, after one too many drinks, even if nothing shows up on scans. I feel like I have lost the feeling in some parts of my head, which really bothers me. Honestly: I don't get much joy out of living anymore: I feel like a plant, sleep a lot, things take longer to get through to me, I hardly think and when I think it's mostly words, not images and I get distracted from them a lot. I'm also a college-dropout, since I fear I can't remember anything for longer than two minutes anymore.

I also lose interest in things much quicker, since I can't hold onto them for longer than a week. I just want to crawl up in some dark pit, until this all passes and I can hopefully regain most of my senses and previous wit.

Did someone pass this feeling of hopelessness and regain a new will to live? I only drank for a little longer than a year and already I feel so dead inside...
Old 06-11-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drank for 20 years. Life sober doesn't make life perfect, but at least things a real. When I feel joy, I feel it to the max and can remember everything.

Give it some time, don't despair before the magic happens ;-)
Old 06-11-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

All of the things you mention are actually pretty common Ipaid

Forgive me, but I read a lot of folks' stories - how long have you been sober now?

D
Old 06-11-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A month and a week... before my last relapses though, I had 3 months and 2 weeks and I felt the same continuously.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ipaidwithmylife View Post
Hi, so I'm trying to continue life, still fearing that I may have done irreversible damage to my brain, after one too many drinks, even if nothing shows up on scans. I feel like I have lost the feeling in some parts of my head, which really bothers me. Honestly: I don't get much joy out of living anymore: I feel like a plant, sleep a lot, things take longer to get through to me, I hardly think and when I think it's mostly words, not images and I get distracted from them a lot. I'm also a college-dropout, since I fear I can't remember anything for longer than two minutes anymore.

I also lose interest in things much quicker, since I can't hold onto them for longer than a week. I just want to crawl up in some dark pit, until this all passes and I can hopefully regain most of my senses and previous wit.

Did someone pass this feeling of hopelessness and regain a new will to live? I only drank for a little longer than a year and already I feel so dead inside...
Have you seen a psychiatrist? We are not allowed to give medical advice here but I can tell you something from my experience: one of the main symptoms of my depression was cognitive impairment, much similar to the symptoms you described above.
It went away when my depression got treated and I got a few months sober under my belt.
Since it's such a big concern maybe it wouldn't hurt to see a mental health professional?
Best of luck.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate to how you feel, but what's done is done. The body has an amazing capability to heal and it takes time, so keep that in mind too. At the same point, you can honor your body and make sure things don't get any worse than what they are now by staying sober.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For being at week #5 - that's almost exactly how I felt. The central nervous system takes over a year to reset completely. Much of the healing occurs in the first six months, but it is so gradual at any given time, it felt like I was standing still.

Hang in there, it does get better if you stay away from that first drink.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate completely. I feel that way now at 46 days. But I'm going to ride it out. Anything is better than the merry-go-round of booze, bad choices and hang overs. Hang in there..
Old 06-11-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like what I went thru with PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome). It's the body and brain getting back to normal functioning. It takes time.

Give yourself good food, rest, and exercise, and if you're not feeling better in a few months, see your doctor.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

it took me a few months to come out of the fog. I recall having a lot of trouble with some of the simplest tasks and getting so frustrated and upset about it. but once that fog lifted look out my brain then went on like warp drive.

things have normalized for me now but My memory is not like it used to be and i struggle to focus on complex stuff. maybe this is just because i'm older and have mroe concerns and worries now I dunno maybe its not related to drinking at all.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It took me six months. Given time (and visit a doctor if necessary!) it gets better.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I thought I had permanent damage .It took me 6 months to get relatively normal as well. At eleven months now and mentally I am great. Just give it time and don't let it get you down.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
For being at week #5 - that's almost exactly how I felt. The central nervous system takes over a year to reset completely. Much of the healing occurs in the first six months, but it is so gradual at any given time, it felt like I was standing still.

Hang in there, it does get better if you stay away from that first drink.
Thanks Eddiebuckle, I needed to know that too. Very helpful and helps me stay motivated.
x
Old 06-12-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice above, I think speaking to a doctor or mental health professional would help as well. Hope the fog starts to lift soon!