SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I believe people can change for the better. Do you? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/369314-i-believe-people-can-change-better-do-you.html)

Trees39 06-10-2015 03:39 PM

I believe people can change for the better. Do you?

I'm really hopeful and I can see a positive change in my life for the first time in a long time. It's having an impact on me and others around me.

Slowly I'm no longer fighting, I'm starting to feel like I'm living with a lot less drama, ego and expectations.

Do you think people can change, especially when it's better for them?

Anna 06-10-2015 03:47 PM

A quote from one of my very favourite authors, Maya Angelou:

“I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

ScottFromWI 06-10-2015 03:48 PM

I don't think people can change for the better, I KNOW they can change for the better. We see evidence of it every day here, and you can absolutely be part of it.

gettingsmarter 06-10-2015 04:01 PM

Absolutely!

least 06-10-2015 04:03 PM

My life certainly changed for the better once I was sober. :) Much better. :)

Soberwolf 06-10-2015 04:04 PM

5000% yes

IfYouCanDream 06-10-2015 04:06 PM

Definitely.

zerothehero 06-10-2015 04:51 PM

I've worked with a guy for 15 years, but didn't really know him. Still don't, actually.

But a couple of weeks ago we got talking about marijuana legalization. During the conversation he kind of nonchalantly said, "I used to make and sell PCP."

He is proof people can change.

thomas11 06-10-2015 05:58 PM

Of course. People do it all the time. On the flip side, people change for the worse as well. We are human and we have the ability to make good choices or bad choices. Its up to us which path we want to take. You can do it.

mns1 06-10-2015 06:29 PM

Anyone can change for the better, no matter how lost they may seem.

FreeOwl 06-10-2015 06:33 PM

Absolutely. I've seen it.

And closer to home, I've done it myself.

You can.

Dee74 06-10-2015 06:35 PM

I did :)

D

Della1968 06-10-2015 06:35 PM

Absolutely positively indeed. My life has changed so much for the better since I got sober it is mind boggling. I think you get back what you put out there.

MisterChill 06-10-2015 07:45 PM

Even though I just joined last month, I've been lurking here for several years. Just this forum alone is loaded with people that have made the decision to do better (much better) and stick with it for years. It's full of people trying to figure out how to be better. And also loaded with folks willing to generously support others trying to improve their lives. Amazing place really. Built on the backs of individuals that collectively make the lives of so many a better place.

SoberLife90 06-10-2015 10:40 PM

People do change...I am proof.

MelindaFlowers 06-11-2015 12:37 AM

Absolutely

ArtFriend 06-11-2015 04:45 AM

I think everyday is a chance to learn. We didn't get a road map when we were born, so we take wrong turns in our journey every so often. But, if we reflect and learn from our mistakes, the total sum outcome is that we become better people.

IOAA2 06-11-2015 04:50 AM

It absolutely will change for the better IF we want it to AND work for it.

BE WELL

Gilmer 06-11-2015 04:55 AM

I have absolutely changed for the better.

I have seen others who have definitely changed, too.

Thirdwave 06-11-2015 05:06 AM

It is in our greatest weakness that we sometimes find our greatest strength. I believe all things happen for a reason (thank you God) and that in our affliction we are given the opportunity to serve others. As unpleasant and as costly as my journey in alcohol abuse was i believe it was a necessary component for me (and all of you through SR and other interactions) to come around others and help them with similar pain and struggle. To be able to reach a person with a message that as hopeless as your life seems to be.... and follow it up with "and i was once there" and "i understand and can relate well to situation" and "i once thought my situation was too big to deal with and too hard to overcome"...comes through as a message of hope to that individual.

I can say without exception that every post i've read about others addition has certain elements of my own story. I commend all of you for the love, care and concern you give to others through the SR board.

Yes people can be changed for the better but in most cases only with the help of others.