Notices

Hey Chums...Day 1 here...

Old 06-10-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good job, Dave. I think you are making the right decisions! Keep up the good work!
Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is so encouraging, Dave!
Old 06-10-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 3

Finally got to sleep as expected. Got a good 5-6 hours and woke up about noon. Feeling kinda "Groggy" for a while. You know...like when you just sleep real "hard" That kind feeling. Hard to describe. After getting up and moving around I had lunch and ran a few short errands and it is lifting. Still feel tired however and am debating a nap soon.

Withdrawel symptoms have been almost non-existant. The insomnia of course to be expected, and last night I did have some very mild "sweats" but nothing major. The feeling of fatigue, also expected has set in and I'am just "Taking it Easy".

My AV has been silent so far. Not a peep from the little B*****d ! Good ! But !...I know better. I know sooner or later he's going to "wake up" and wonder where the party has gone ! When he realizes the party is OVER is when he will start screaming. I know it's coming, I know to expect it and i'am girding up for the Raging battle to come ! I KNOW the party is over. I closed it down ! It was MY decision and I am sticking to it now matter WHAT ! My AV just doesnt know it yet. Yet.

When he does realize it I know whats coming as well. He'll want to "Talk it over". When he doesnt get his way he'll want to "talk". He starts screaming ! (temper tantrum, like a six YO who cant have his way) and wanting to "make a deal" (only one and he'll be happy, he never is. I know this as well). He'll want to rationalize (you never been able to do this in the past. What makes you think you can now? )
and you know, just ...YadaYadaYada. You see, I've heard it all before. Big difference this time? I'am now able to recognize "it" for what "it" is.

"Newcomer "Tip" of the day": Look into "Rational Recovery". The book and the website. and you too can learn to see "It" for what "It" is.

I'am very grateful and appreciative to all who responds to my posts and to all my well wisher's too. My "Sober Surprise" for today is : I'am not alone in this ! I've always heard "You never have to do it alone"..."You CANT do it alone" ! I've finally come to this realization and our meeting of last night brought this to my attention. The theme was "Reaching Out" which actually is something I've never done. until now. Guess I just didnt want to "bother" anyone. I see now, how wrong I was !

Boldly Onward to Day 4
Old 06-10-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're reaching out Dave.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to see you powering on Dave

D
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats, you're doing great!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just a quick check-in. Watching "Ground Hog Day" with Bill Murray. Can anyone make the "connection" to that movie and the alcoholic lifestyle, day to day ?

I know I can. Same thing each Day. Never changes until you realize how to fix it.

It took me awhile but I'am starting to see the "light".

DD
Old 06-10-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Looking forward to tomorrows post, Dave,

Hope you got some rest.

Nothing like a good peanut butter and jelly sammie!

Sending you my best wishes.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're doing great Dave. Keep on keeping on.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 4...and it's getting better

This is the Day I have in past quit attemps called my "V Day". This is where the real heavy "Brain Fog" sets in for the next 3 days at least. Difference this time No Brain Fog. None notta bit...yet. The reason I call it "V Day" is because back in my college football days I had a "HamString" muscle injury that kept "Grabbing"...it would not stop and it was the most excrusiating pain I ever endured when it would grab. Plus the docs said when it was doing it that often...it was not healing.

So. Having said that...They gave me "Valium" to help it relax. I remember how that stuff just kicked my A** into LALA land and I didnt care nuttin about nuttin ! Thats what My usual Day 4 "Brain fog" has felt for me. I kinda miss it really. NOT !!!

Today I have been feeling good! Clear minded with minimal cobwebs. Even felt good after waking up...compared to yesterday.
My AV has been silent...still, so I'am enjoying it as long as I can. I'am eating Ok...and even gave myself a treat today. I bought me some KRYSTAL BURGERS !!! They were soooogood ! I almost forgot how good. I dont know if Krystal resturants are world wide or not, so some
of you may not know what they are. They are similar to "White Castle" burgers. OK. Enough of that. Also went to my Daughters house for a visit. It was very nice ! I look forward to dropping in more often now. Alot more often.

Withdrawels have been absolutly non-exsistant save the insomnia. I think too, alot of the insomnia) maybe excitement ! For the first time in a decade I lay in bed thinking about things I want to do, things I want see and places I want to go...and feel excited ! Yes, I realize I'am probably riding my "Pink Cloud" and it could turn into a storm cloud at any moment. I'am giving that some thought to that and working to get a plan in place.

Also on my mind lately has been a thing I call a "Waning Resolve" when the pink cloud dissolves and you just stop feeling motivated to continue your sobriey. It happens ! It's Dangerous and I need a plan in place to deal with it should it be needed. This is where the AV has a VERY good "Toe hole" and starts yacking it's head off! Beware !

The fatigue seems to have lifted a little today. Thats a good sign.

Thats about it for today. I have so much good stuff to share but all in due time...over "time" I try not to get too long winded...TRY.

For the newcomer still wrestling with the decision to "Go Sober"...DOIT ! Just decide for yourself that you are going for it ! Once you get through that Scary (NOT) Day 1...the momentum builds on itself...and you feel so much better than you ever thought possible sooner than you thought possible.

Trust me on this one.

Boldly onward to Day 5 !

DD
Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You sound like you're doing great, which is wonderful.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day four, DuhDave! Glad you're building some accountability here with this thread.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank You Strategery and Casey !

This quit feels different for some reason coming right out of the blocks! I'am working hard to keep it going.

The enthusiasim too is I believe a result of my mind and mental thoughts speeding up Once the alcohol and toxins start leaving your brain and body. Your brain starts clicking on more and more "cylinders" as your sober time increases. Maybe my brain is just clicking on one more ctlinder than it's (Me) is used to !

I like it !

Thanks for the kind words and ecouragement !

DD
Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Something a little un-nerving and another "sober moment surprise".

I went to the grocery store tonight for a few things for breakfast in the am. Pitch black dark and it was a real eye opener. I kept wanting to drive too slow. A dead give away to the cops of an impared driver. It was hard to judge distances, cars coming...and hard to tell just how far away objects were...etc. Just things like that. During the day driving is no problem but tonight, it was different.

Then again, I havnt driven in total darkness in like what?...a hundred years?

I've been setting at home at night, drinking myself into oblivion !

DD
Old 06-12-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 5...and...

...it's been, Ok. Not as good as the last 4 but doable. I admit my AV has been whispering to me...but "Aint gonna happen".

Been couped up in the house most of the day. Thats not good. Thunderstorms all around, a couple pretty close.

Appetite out of sorts. Not really hungry, just been snacking most of the day. Fresh fruit is my goto snack.

Insomnia eased up last night and I slept quite well. In fact I'am getting sleepy now and it is only 7:15pm on the US East coast.

I know each day is going to be different. some up, some down and some indifferent. Today feels like an indifferent kinda day and thats OK.

As long as I dont drink.

I CAN do this !

Boldly Onward to Day 6 !

DD

Hope to make the meeting tonight. 9pm my time.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I remember that realization of being free to what I wanted to do at night too. We have a festival in town tonight, which we walked down to. It was a relief not to be worried about being drunk and running into people. Sleep well Dave.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You can do this Dave!!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

It is Day 1 for me too. I am also called Dave. Who'd have thunk it!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey Dave, I get the Groundhog Day connection. For me it was always Groundhog Week. Monday to Thursday sober (normally) then oblivion at the weekend. It felt like my life never moved on. Progress on the sober days and then a complete rewind at the weekend. Boredom is my nemesis when it comes to drinking.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Keep up the great work, Dave!!