Notices

First share tonight - ask for phone numbers?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First share tonight - ask for phone numbers?

I've finally realized I can't do this on my own. Called in sick to work today and that is not good.

So I'm going to an AA meeting tonight and start the program.

Is it alright to ask for phone numbers in my first share? I won't be drinking tonight but I'll need them from tomorrow on.

Very nervous. Not looking forward to it.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you just say, "This is my first meeting," it is likely the meeting Secretary will start around a list for you of phone numbers of same sex members. But of course you can also ask!

At the end of my first few meetings, they gave me these lists - I still have them - probably a hundred numbers or so. It's a blessing.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi ClearLight!

AA is the world's most popular fellowship that NOBODY feels good about having to join.

At the meetings I attend, we are sure that newcomers have phone numbers of people to call for help. I encourage you to go ahead and make some calls even if all is well, just for practice.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just say you're having trouble staying sober and ask for numbers to call if you need support.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Hi ClearLight!

AA is the world's most popular fellowship that NOBODY feels good about having to join.

At the meetings I attend, we are sure that newcomers have phone numbers of people to call for help. I encourage you to go ahead and make some calls even if all is well, just for practice.
" I don't want to join any club that would have me as a member" Groucho.....

I really did not find my first meeting daunting. I had become ready to get sober and accepted I could not do it on my own.

On June 9 of 2014 I walked into a meeting and picked up a 24 hr chip - tomorrow I will pick up a one year chip from that same meeting.

Today I am not only grateful for walking in the doors of AA but look forward to meetings. For me they supplant happy hour........

The way I got phone numbers was asked people for them. Each group is different - no one in our group made a list for me. I just said I may have some questions, can I call you?

Good for you on going. You may have made the best decision of your life Or, have taken a sad song and made it better!

Thanks for the topic - good thread!!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

is there an official way this should work? I've always wondered this too i've gone to meetings a number of times no ones ever offered me numbers i've only learned its even an option from poking around on this site. as far as a sponser goes forget it I have no clue how that works. I just assume you ask someone to be your sponser whom seems like a good fit? I've never known where to begin as I have socialization issues with the folks there. I try to mingle some but they seem to have there little "clicks" and i always feel like the outsider. it doesnt help i'm sure that I dont go often enough i bet.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks every one! It really helps to hear solid input about this.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Feel free to ask for numbers, and like many said, at some meetings this may happen automatically anyways. But if it doesn't, pick out a few people that you liked what they had to share and ask away. You're there to get help, they're there to give help. It's a good combination.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
You're there to get help, they're there to give help. It's a good combination.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
That's a good idea. I'll post something about it.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Glad you are going to a meeting.I think it depends what meeting you go to.A good group will make sure you get people's numbers at your first meeting,if not ask and I am sure you will get some.

Hope it goes well for you.