Notices

Memory fragments

Old 06-07-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Memory fragments

I have had these for years. Isolated images in my head that have no context to them. It is as if I am trying to remember something that can't come into consciousness. Very annoying.

Anyone else have something like this and how did you handle them?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have them. My childhood was so intense and abnormal that there are times I know my mind is working through bits and pieces of it. There was a time when I would try to force a full memory to gain some type of context, but that rarely helped. And it's been proven that memories are not reliable. Now I just accept that something is starting to show up and when it's time to see the full picture, I will. I may never but it's not going to change today.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think mine is also related to childhood abuse. These fragments abate and then increase usually based on my stress levels. I would love to put all the pieces together and see it all in context, but like you said, it is probably impossible.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Our minds are moving a lot faster than we are. I have noticed that much more acutely since I have started learning about mindfulness and meditation.

And the more I learn, the more I see that we have no way of stopping these thoughts...and furthermore much of my anxiety is caused by being distracted by them. The idea behind mindfulness is learning to accept them for what they are...just thoughts, that don't require a reaction.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Difficult to know for sure, AF. I had severe childhood trauma and had some bits and pieces of memories. I used to wish I could remember all of it since I find not knowing to be difficult. This was definitely a case of "be careful what you wish for". When I was in my early forties and under a huge amount of stress, my subconscious mind couldn't hold back the memories anymore (so I was told by my pdoc). So I ended up reliving the horror. It was awful! I've had a great deal of therapy of various kinds and my life is finally mostly back together. I don't really know which is worse - suspecting but not knowing for sure Vs remembering and then no longer being able to tell myself that it couldn't really have happened. In any case, my life has finally settled down into a comparatively peaceful and happy place - and I am 70 :-)
Old 06-07-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I find for myself its always best to calmly observe my thoughts and feelings rather than react. It's true enough sometimes action is required eventually, still though, in most times its okay to just sit with myself and just be aware of being me. We can't change our past. We can though always choose how we want to engage with our past experiences. Not everything has to be an emergency needing an immediate remedy. I've done well with my past by working on acceptance more then working on solving problems that happened so many decades ago...
Old 06-07-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

AF, I also had an abusive childhood and have fragmented memories that pop up from time to time. I suspect there are things that I am not able to remember and it used to frustrate me. Now, I understand that, if I am ready, I will remember them and if not, that's okay, too.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really found Anna's Robby & especially Scott's very useful and very true