Notices

Help and advice for drug addict

Old 06-07-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help and advice for drug addict

Hi, I am writing in hope of advice for someone close to me who is addicted to crack. She has been on it every day for the past 2 years, only having been without it for 7 days.
She is wanting help to stop but cant do it alone.
Since researching, I have found that it is not at all easy to do so in Australia at all. Celebrity rehab with Dr Drew was quite misleading lol.
So to get her into a rehab she would first need to do a detox. To get her into a detox she would need a doctors assessment. She has become a social recluse and will not leave the house so Im unsure how to go about this.
Also to get her into a rehab she will need to be on centrelink, and also apply for healthcare which would cover any other medical treatments she would need. I have been told I can sort this all out for her, but I am wanting to know what to apply for, how to go about doing so. Then the next step is how to get her into the detox, which I have found it difficult to get a hold of anyone there. I have called them every day for a week and they have yet to call back. The rehab has been more helpful, but before she can do that she would need to detox and also have the centrelink sorted. Im not even sure what to apply for or what to write when it comes to that.
Any advice would be so much appreciated.
thanks.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

I don't live in Australia, so I can't help you with the details, but one thought would be to attend an open N.A. meeting where you are likely to meet folks who have been through it.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Forhelp Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-07-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi forhelp - and welcome

the intractable problem here is your friend really needs to be a part of these decisions if she wants to quit.

If things have to go through you and then to her and back again this is going to take a long time.

I only have general advice but I hope these links might be of help

Bridges Aligned Services | Recovery for Mental Health, Drugs and Alcohol

Alcohol and Other Drugs

http://www.ozcare.org.au/Services/Fa...lcoholServices

Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS)

ADIS provides information, advice, counselling and referral for alcohol and drug issues. Phone: 1800 177 833 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Services (ATOD)

In Queensland, treatment services are provided in local communities by Queensland Hospital and Health Services, non-government and private organisations.

Services can provide comprehensive assessments for substance use, brief intervention, treatment planning, case management, counselling, residential treatment and referral if required.

To locate your nearest ATOD Service:

contact the Alcohol and Drug Information Service 1800 177 833, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

from: http://www.qld.gov.au/health/staying...use/index.html
Counselling services
Counselling Online lets you communicate online with a professional counsellor about any alcohol or drug related concern, available 24 hours a day. This service is free for anyone seeking help with their own use or the use of a family member, relative or friend. You can choose to remain anonymous or to register with the service.
http://www.counsellingonline.org.au/

From personal experience I'd start on the Centrelink stuff as soon as possible.

If she's adamant she can't/won't leave the house, the first step would be appointing you to deal with Centrelink on her behalf.

Someone to deal with us on your behalf - Department of Human Services
D

Last edited by Dee74; 06-07-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope your friend decides to get help for her addiction. Without her participation, you'll go nowhere. I hope she accepts your help and decides she wants to get clean.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i'm a former crack addict....detox from crack is about a three day event.....it dissipates from the system pretty fast.....the thing with crack is the MENTAL bit. oh man the things your head will tell you....scream at you....all the "triggers"......but the thing is, all you have to do is say NO, and don't pick up and you can stay quit.......

YOU can't do this for her......nor should you......share the information that you have researched, and let her take it from there. if she really WANTS to quit, she will be relentless.....if she isn't ready, she will balk at any option.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!