Notices

New here, just introducing myself

Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, just introducing myself

I am trying to stay sober for probably the 10th time. I drink about 5 to 6 days a week and well... It's bad.

I had my last drink around 3 pm today, and I only had one today (it was left over from last night).

I was sober for about two months last year including a stay in rehab, but I gradually started occasionally drinking again and I'm sure you all know how that works out.

I used to have a bad pill problem too, and I was able to quit them and I mostly dont miss drugs. It's just the drinking now, still. (I am actually angry at myself for taking one adderall last week while drunk... Prior to that it was over 6 months since I got high).

Getting sober is a bit scary to me. Even scarier is the idea that I might fail and I go on living like this for years. That idea terrifies me.

I know in the past I'd have the issue of planning on staying sober for the day and being good with it, then in the blink of an eye I just say screw it and head to the store. Like, going to a meeting then getting drunk right after.

I also struggle with my age. I'm only 22 so it's easy to justify drinking based on my age. "Oh, it's normal at my age, everyone drinks a lot in their early 20s" but it is clear to me (and everyone I've gotten close to over the past few years) that nothing about my drinking is normal. If there are any other younger people here I would like to know how you deal with those kind of thoughts.

The days feel so long at first, so I know I'll need to stay busy over the next few days. It'll be nice to not be hungover tomorrow at work.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is a great place for support in getting sober.

I think it's great that you are 22 and here, realizing that your drinking is causing you problems. I don't think I was ever a normal drinker but it took me far longer to realize that. Years, in fact. I wish you A good journey. Because it is one.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, vaike. You will find a lot of support here.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey vaike and welcome to the forum.
I got sober at 23 and have noticed a huge rise in young people getting sober lately it is great to see .
Some traps I have to stay away from are telling myself That I can never drink again. I take it one day at a time and it is less scary that way.
also, thinking that all other young people are drinking . Yes , a ton of them are but after I got sober I quit hanging out in old places and got involved in other activities and I realized that not all young people binge drink like I thought they did. Making new friends and getting new hobbies really helped me.
It was really hard at first, I dont want to make it sound easy because drugs and alcohold were such a huge part of my life I didnt know how to do anything without it, especially meet new people! But slowly I started Branching out and after a lot of trial and error I lesrned how to do things sober .
I also have to be aware of how much I judge myself -this is the biggest for me, I am Constantly comparing myself to others and that can make focus on the faCT that "other people can drink and have fun and I can't anymore."
and that's what I have to remind myself, is I DONT drink because it stopped being fun a long time ago ,n .the negative Consequences of drinking out weighed the benefits of it all and it was no longer much fun. I am comparing myself to other people and that is setting myself up for misery.
there is lots of great advice an storis on this forum and other young people on here too! Best of luck
Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome vaike! It's great to hear that you are trying to tackle your addiction at such a young age, you have your whole life in front of you. The first days are definitely tough, you can always come here for support any time of the day if you need it. Are you planning on following any kind of formal recovery program?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, vaike, and welcome.

Congratulations on your persistence to living a sober life. I too have struggled with maintaining sobriety (just celebrated two months this week) and am determined to keep attaching one day of sobriety to another day of sobriety until I have many more months and eventually years.

Like you said, it's rough at first, but you've got to go through those first days/weeks/months eventually to have a life of sobriety. Wishing you the best!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the best decision you ever made. Bravo, young pup!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome vaike.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Vaike

22 is a great age to be looking at this and making changes. You'll find a lot of encouragement here

D
Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, you are a very wise 22 year old to be looking at making positive changes now, I wish I had the sense to stop drinking in my twenties.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm 24. I am having the same thoughts as you buddy. I have fun when I drink but it's because I'm not facing who I really am. When you can't face or love yourself you tend to hate being sober. Once you've learned with training wheels how to live a sober life, the training wheels come off and you get better and stronger at it. One step at a time. Put the bigger picture in front of you and set goals. Crush those goals so you can be proud of yourself. Once your proud you will stop comparing yourself to other people and their needs and will start caring about your own needs. It's easier said than done. Clearly. Or everyone would do it. Good luck. Keep asking questions and learning. Life is full of great mysteries.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

Today was my first full sober day of many I hope. I was tired today, and I worked only until 2:30 so I'm glad I managed to mostly stay busy. It's 9 now and it did feel like a long day, but I didn't drink.

Thanks for the advice (I can't reply specifically because I'm on my phone and it logs me out when I go back to try and read what you all said now and I lose what I typed). I do struggle with the idea of never again.

I think the idea of making the idea that I don't really actually enjoy drinking as much as I could enjoy not drinking could help me a lot. I quit smoking about 8 or 9 months ago and that is what keeps me quit - I like not smoking more than I like smoking. (I still use a vape though). I just need to get more into being sober though before I can really use that, though.

I think someone said something like "great of you to do this young, you could have so many years ahead of you sober" which is very true but a but double edged as well. I can say that in my mind as "I could have a few more years and then still have a long time sober ahead of me!". Im guessing that's what you guys mean here when you say "addict voice".

I don't think I'll be able to sleep well tonight, but I don't know. Gonna go watch a movie now. I'll be back later or tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think someone said something like "great of you to do this young, you could have so many years ahead of you sober" which is very true but a but double edged as well. I can say that in my mind as "I could have a few more years and then still have a long time sober ahead of me!". Im guessing that's what you guys mean here when you say "addict voice".
Unfortunately a lot of us don't make it to have 20 years addiction. I lost friends - their lives snuffed out in their twenties and 30s.

Even though I made it out alive I wouldn't wish my 30 years of addiction on anyone.

Tell that AV to take a hike

D
Old 06-06-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Missed your post yesterday vaike - welcome!

To go back and be 22 and do what you're doing - I'd give anything. I knew I was in deep trouble with drinking at your age - but I refused to admit I had no control. Decades of trying to be a social drinker caused all kinds of destruction and pain. This never needs to happen to you.

You're smart to distract yourself by watching a movie - very important early on. Congratulations on your first day sober. Be proud.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're smart to get sober now, so young. You'll have fewer regrets when you get older.

Welcome to the family
Old 06-06-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations Vaike!ng

I noticed my drinking was bad at 20 and just took a couple breaks here and there to prove I could control it. At 28 I had a detox that almost killed me. Be proud of yourself for getting on top of this now.

I can't really say how to deal with those thoughts in your early 20's. However, in my late 20's it still seemed like everyone was still going out and hard. Maybe not as much but... Turns out I was wrong. It takes some time but I am sure you can find plenty of people your age who either don't or hardly drink.

I had to change my perspective a lot. I use to think that doing the types of things where people weren't drink was boring. I am having a lot more fun these days compared to my last few years though.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Vaike!!