Notices

Strangely today

Old 06-05-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strangely today

I finally had a Strong desire for a beer... No triggers that I haven't had through the last month. But it was a strong one & I can't explain it ..

I didn't give in mind you; but the desire was strong.

Dennis

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Old 06-05-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you withstood it! Those may come and go, but you know that you're not a slave to them.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Addiction and cravings can sneak up on us out of the blue..that's why it's so important to be prepared for it. Good job on resisting the temptation.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Addiction and cravings can sneak up on us out of the blue..that's why it's so important to be prepared for it. Good job on resisting the temptation.
Yea it was out of blue ... But I think my anxiety triggered it as I was grocery shopping & my bro was running late. So it was me & my turns LoL

Dennis

Old 06-05-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's how we respond that defines our recovery Dennis - sounds like you did well

D
Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's how we respond that defines our recovery Dennis - sounds like you did well

D
I think so too & honestly have no clue how lol ... But it is working whatever it is ..

Dennis

Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have noticed the same thing thing and it has been almost seven months since I last had a drink. I was in a 7/11 grabbing a Diet Coke and out of the blue I just thought I would grab a pint of vodka and get a nice buzz going. I didn't have anything cause that thought other than it was something I would have done in the past. It took me a minute to get my bearings and remember that I don't drink anymore.

I sometimes wonder if these cravings act in a similar way to muscle memory. Your mind makes associations and when you are doing a familiar activity or in a familiar place the cravings can come on very quickly. Good for you for recognizing where those thoughts would lead you and beating back the craving.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't get cravings very often but occasionally I'll have this strong sense of...melancholy, I guess? A yearning not so much for the booze but for the temporary simplicity it created in me. All the other voices were stilled while I was drunk. Nothing else mattered, no future and no past.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
I don't get cravings very often but occasionally I'll have this strong sense of...melancholy, I guess? A yearning not so much for the booze but for the temporary simplicity it created in me. All the other voices were stilled while I was drunk. Nothing else mattered, no future and no past.
Think you hit the nail on the head for me as well. Hush the voices & chill the anxiety has always been my goal anyway. Now the physical pain is added to it ..

Dennis

Old 06-06-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Some great Input here man.

There are 100 ways to cross a river, as long as you made it to the other side is what counts.

Rock on! One craving at a time.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Some great Input here man.

There are 100 ways to cross a river, as long as you made it to the other side is what counts.

Rock on! One craving at a time.
Yea, I'm working the "Wharf Rat" method haha .. Every craving; I pick Wharf Rat & play it loud !!!! Thankfully b\c of archive.org I have tons of versions to chose from ....

Dennis

Old 06-07-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm seriously planning on learning meditation. There's a very highly rated set of video lectures that teaches the basics. I watched an interview with Sam Harris (the author and scientist) where he explained the many tangible benefits of it. This will sound like a dumb excuse and it probably is but I've just been so busy with work, school and regular life. But I only have about seven weeks til I graduate, and then I hope to devote some time to trying to learn and practice.

Hopefully meditation can take over a lot of what I used to use alcohol to "treat" (eg. anger, frustration, impatience, etc).
Old 06-07-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post

Hopefully meditation can take over a lot of what I used to use alcohol to "treat" (eg. anger, frustration, impatience, etc).
Didn't sound like a dumb excuse @ all. I've done mediation; and it has worked wonders.. But only a very rare & few times was I able to focus enough to "get" anything from it.

My mind fires off so many thoughts; that's extremely difficult for me to get to the point of relaxation you need for it to be productive. I have tried a few times being here; but right now it's very hard for me to focus.

Dennis

My name is August West, and I love my Pearly Baker best more than my wine.
More than my wine - more than my maker, though he's no friend of mine.