SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Relapse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/368886-relapse.html)

Rosie68 06-04-2015 04:22 PM

Relapse

Hi everyone

I gave up drinking 1 February this year but late March I had a glass of wine which became two and spiralled out of control.

19 May was my birthday and a disaster with too much alcohol (it had become an 'every second day' occurrence) so 20 May I stopped drinking.

Yesterday (Thursday, 2 weeks and a day later) I had two bottles of wine.

I am so cross with myself. I was getting my sleep back on track and was starting to 'like' myself! In some ways I wish something 'bad' had happened to teach me a lesson !!

least 06-04-2015 04:30 PM

Sometimes the worst thing that can happen is that nothing overtly bad happens, and we continue to drink. :(

I hope the awesome support here helps you get sober for good. :hug:

Welcome to the family! :)

Lance40 06-04-2015 04:31 PM

Hi Rosie - drinking does seem to ramp back up really quickly after a relapse. I hope you are able to get back on track and stay sober. I'm glad you are here posting about it.

Thepatman 06-04-2015 04:32 PM

Don't beat yourself up. A good idea might be to write down what you think my have started the relapse. Could be a trigger like stress for example. This way you will be able to list actions you can take for the trigger so you don't fall in the trap.

Rooting for you, don't give up ;-)

MyTime86 06-04-2015 04:41 PM

I had a couple false starts as well in the beginning. Honestly forget about it right now starting today get on track and stay there.
Seems impossible in the beginning I know, but it isn't you can do it

zjw 06-04-2015 04:55 PM

In some ways I wish something 'bad' had happened to teach me a lesson !!
It should nto have to come to that. But i'm guilty of that same exact line of reasoning.

I hope it doesnt come to that this site is full of those kinds of stories and there not all that great.

Just dust yourself off and try again another day.

Dee74 06-04-2015 05:27 PM

Welcome to SR Rosie :)

D

Anna 06-04-2015 05:38 PM

Rosie, don't wait for something 'worse' to happen because it will.

I'm really glad that you found us and posted.

mns1 06-04-2015 06:09 PM

Hi Rosie.

I recently relapsed as well. But I have learned through several relapses that beating myself up about it does nothing to help me.

I am currently looking for how to improve myself, get sober, stay sober, and stay sober for good!

I am going to figure that out.

And so will you as long as you keep trying.

Soberpotamus 06-04-2015 06:11 PM

Welcome to the forum, Rosie :)

Maybe consider joining the June class thread here to get the support of others. You can work on a plan to avoid relapse :)

Hevyn 06-04-2015 06:42 PM

It's good to meet you Rosie - you're among friends who care.

The same thing happened to me a few times - I guess I just needed further convincing that I can't touch it. Every time I intended to have a few it turned into a disaster. It's so much easier to get free of it. You can do it. :)

gettingsmarter 06-04-2015 07:21 PM

Welcome Rosie.

TroyW 06-04-2015 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 5406752)
Rosie, don't wait for something 'worse' to happen because it will.

^ This.

Welcome to SR rosie. :)

Rosie68 06-04-2015 11:21 PM

Thank you very much for your replies.

I'm determined to learn from this (feel rubbish and foggy-minded) as I was enjoying feeling better mentally and physically !!

Hevyn 06-05-2015 10:44 AM

I hope it goes well today Rosie. :) You can do it.

escapist 06-05-2015 11:08 AM

Those relapses are so sneaky and powerful. The last one I had lasted years and I was a wreck. Welcome to SR. This site brought me back. I hope you find it does the same for you. I lived on my computer for the first four months. Whatever it takes you know. I have been sober since the day I came here back in October of 2012.

Delilah1 06-06-2015 10:57 PM

Welcome Rosie, I am newly back as well, after several episodes of stopping and starting, tomorrow will be 20 days for me, and I am just trying to take it one day at a time.
We can't undo the past, so it isn't worth beating ourselves up over, we need to just keep moving forward.
Looking forward to seeing you on SR.!

Delilah1 06-06-2015 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by escapist (Post 5407893)
Those relapses are so sneaky and powerful. The last one I had lasted years and I was a wreck. Welcome to SR. This site brought me back. I hope you find it does the same for you. I lived on my computer for the first four months. Whatever it takes you know. I have been sober since the day I came here back in October of 2012.

Escapist, I am so proud of you for staying sober for two and a half years. We were in the October class together. I have had a few detours along the way, but I am back on track again.
Congratulations on 2.5 years!!!!!

Angie247 06-06-2015 11:34 PM

Welcome Rosie. :) You can do this and there's so much wonderful support here. Coming on this website has helped keep me sober. :)

ccam1973 06-07-2015 04:41 AM

Welcome Rosie. Glad you found us here at SR. You can make this change, you have the power to get your life back.

Lean on us as much as you need, we are here to help one another.