Notices

Newbie in need of support

Old 06-05-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well done for posting and recognising the problem. First thing that came to my mind, these guys aren't helping. Who's fault it is doesn't matter, and he ain't that nice if he's encouraging your alcohol problem. Nice words, nice behaviour, doesn't matter, You're right when you say you have to get rid. And be prepared for him to not be so nice when you do. Sorry to be blunt, that's probably going to happen, he might try to gently coax you towards carrying on being self-destructive, then start to get really negative and make you doubt yourself. You're going to have to get in touch with you're inner bitch, to a degree, but it's ok if you do that to stick up for yourself.

You may have to be tougher on yourself and that guy too, and that can be hard. Addiction to booze or destructive people isn't some battering ram, it's a stream that just kind of carries you along, it can be very insidious. You're going to have to be assertive. Not aggressive, but you're going to have to be extremely clear about what you want (sobriety, being a better, more independent person, being a better mother) and anything that is not helping you towards that is holding you back. You've got some big changes ahead and you really are THE only person who can do it but, no offense, things sound like they were rough and crappy at times, and they were probably a lot tougher than you think. It's like when you look back at a serious illness; you wonder how the hell you managed to put up with it but if you could survive that, you can be sober and better.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Nerina!!:-)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! It's been a bit up and down since i posted. A couple of beers at night. I started a journal last night to kinda write down my thoughts during my quitting. It's my day #1 today and I'm keeping myself busy with housework and other stuff. Feeling positive today and wont worry about tomorrow for now I'll spend some time reading here today too.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
We can support you with the do it part

Check out our Class of June support thread, if you haven't already

D
Thanks! I'll check it out right now
Old 06-11-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"My current boyfriend I don't think realizes he has a problem, so how would I help him anyway? I don't even want to because I promised myself to never ever try to help someone with that again."

you could tell him about SR, then everyone here would help him
Old 06-11-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
"My current boyfriend I don't think realizes he has a problem, so how would I help him anyway? I don't even want to because I promised myself to never ever try to help someone with that again."

you could tell him about SR, then everyone here would help him
He would probably not care because as I said I don't think he realize he has a problem. And if someone doesn't realize they have a problem they probably won't try to change either. It's a fresh relationship and to be honest I can't picture a future with him. I actually just feel like being alone right now to work on my own life.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ah, I see. yeah, relationships can be a trigger too, best of luck to you.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

ah, I see. yeah, relationships can be a trigger too, best of luck to you.
Yeah, I think it will be easier for me if I'm not in a relationship with a drinker
Old 06-11-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It is a little hard sitting with someone that's consuming your x-favorite substance.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It is a little hard sitting with someone that's consuming your x-favorite substance.
Exactly!