Notices

Stay Sober This Weekend June 4th Until.....

Old 06-06-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

It's funny that there was a time in my life when I used to pray for the things that I have now.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

I feel guilty as well. My parents had just got me back on my feet and now they have my sister to deal with. My therapist says I have to distance myself from all this. But I feel guilty for leaving them to deal with everything.

My dad says my sister is in bad shape. Even worse than me. I have a job and no big debts and as long as I don't drink, I will be fine.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

I'm enjoying my first sober vacation as an adult. It's going great so far, but alcohol is everywhere! None for me though....not gonna happen and I'm not missing out on anything. Except a hangover. And getting a mighty fine tan I might add.

Last edited by Mark1014; 06-07-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Well I'm sorry to disappoint but I had one of the first panic attacks I've had in awhile right before I got on the plane. So no jumping for me today. I think maby that was a sign I'm not ready to get back to that lifestyle. Oh well. Maby someday. Still drink free.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
as long as I don't drink, I will be fine.
Yes Tetra!!! Yes!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
I think maby that was a sign I'm not ready to get back to that lifestyle. Oh well. Maby someday. Still drink free.
You don't need a new lifestyle... you have created a new sober one that maybe that does not fit in.

You are doing very very well GS. Thanks for sharing with us!!!!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Hey gang,

I'm enjoying my first sober vacation as an adult. It's going great so far, but alcohol is everywhere! None for me though....not gonna happen and I'm not missing out on anything. Except a hangover. And getting a mighty fine tan I might add.
You are the man!!! Have fun!! and cool pic!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I want a seat, rootin for everyone.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Sleeping a lot today as I'm in a depressed/angry mood with heavy on the depressed. When I was upset yesterday I did do a bit of retail therapy vs. just staying home which is my general strategy when I don't want to put myself in a situation where I'll drink. I saw that as growth and change to allow myself to be out and about when having feelings. But for now I'm in with Pup watching the hockey game even though my team isn't in the playoffs. Working on a project to keep hands and mind busy in addition to catching up on this thread. It's evenings like this I know it will be worth it waking up tomorrow morning with a clear head. Tomorrow is a new day and maybe I'll have a more positive outlook. Sometimes just riding on the bus quietly listening to everyone else is just what I need
Old 06-06-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Nefer! Nice to see you. And what a lovely "heart" rose that is.

You guys, I'm hungry. Dinner is Shrimp Scampi with tomato and avocado! mmmmm. I'm snacking on carrots and celery with bleu cheese dressing while I wait.

I spent the day walking in knee deep salt water at low tide and climbing that hill and I'm waiting for dinner to be ready. I saw an Osprey with his dinner/fish...taking it to the nest at the top of the ridge.

It's pretty warm here for the PNW in early June. I'm sure the cool and sweatshirts will be back soon. No way we go right into summer.

Hey, Ruby - the hula girl distracted me on the freeway, with her "hips don't lie" - I was suddenly "that guy" on the freeway driving 55 mph. Oops! Next time I oogled her I set the cruise control.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I'm planning an adventure

When my brother was home last Christmas he said "you have to get out of here. Life is short".

So Bro, I'm going to take your advice. My life is waiting!!

And no, I haven't been drinking. I'm just feeling happy
Old 06-06-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Tetra, yes! What adventure - have you decided?
Old 06-06-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

I think an adventure is a fine idea, tetra. Where are you going? This is my year to start adventures again. No more sitting at home drinking and waiting. Waiting for what? I have my tent up in my backyard. .am going camping in 2 weeks. It's a start. I wanted to see how hard it was to put up, and it was simple. Now I need the dogs to get used to it before we go.
when you don't drink, adventures are more possible.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Yeah Tetra, spill the beans when you're ready, you've got many fellow adventurers here who would love to hear details!

Sorry to hear about the panic attack GS. I used to have those and they were terrible, I would not wish those on my worst enemy. I am sure you're a bit shaken, but hopefully a nice quiet evening will sooth your nerves.

Cool vacation spot, FAD. South Carolina or somethin'? Looks like it by the palm trees but I could be way off!

Dinner sounds good Bimini, lots of healthy Omega 3's there. Well done!

I went "out wandering" here in this Caribbean village this afternoon, right about 5pm. I saw a live band, and hippies dancing around with their kids and some kind of family concert. It was sort of cool but I got the underlying vibe that some of the crowd might have been doing drugs, so I left. Depressing to think that people would do that with kids around - as an alcoholic and former heavy drug user, I think we all have pretty good "spider senses" and mine were tingling. After blowing that scene I walked down the main road and found an outdoor restaurant/bar that had a soccer game on, it was Colombia vs. Costa Rica. I sat down, had a club soda with lime and watched the game with some other fans. My "soft drink" order didn't startle anyone, and the restaurant owner even gave me some free chips and salsa as a bonus. I left at halftime, as I know better than to hang around the barber shop too long.

It was interesting to notice that "happy hour feeling" float around me. In the past I'd have felt anxious - scanning for chicks and hot spots, and more importantly making mental notes of potential drinking locations for the night ahead. I just ignored it and played the tape through. Been there, done that, got the mug.

Meandered back to my "cabanya" and checked in with my family on Skype. Now catching up on some TV shows and movies. I can look forward to another wonderful morning, a bike ride to a deserted beach, with a pineapple, paring knife, and bottle of water in my backpack.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

I am not sure yet but it is going to be great

Actually my therapist said to me this week that I have hidden depths and he thinks I am going to surprise everyone
Old 06-06-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Every time I read one of your posts BigS I feel more envious and inspired
Old 06-06-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Dogs & Camping...

- 'Love & Marriage' ~ Frank Sinatra -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dog Snooze.jpg (38.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-06-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

My dogs are loved dearly and spoiled rotten. Once it gets dark, I'm going to head out to the tent so the dogs get used to the idea.....I could sleep out there but my bed is much more comfy....I'll just hang out for a little while.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Inspiring to see so many folks have a sober AND fun weekend.

I had a test tonight. Not a test about drinking because there is none in the house. But a test of doing something that I wasn't sure if I would enjoy as much without drink. I built a nice fire pit and patio back in my woods a couple years ago. We use it a lot on the weekends as a family. Sunset dinner and music with all my kids. Of course that meant lots of beers for me too.

Haven't had a fire back there since I quit drinking. My wife asked if we should have dinner back there tonight and I hesitated. But then realized how selfish and stupid it is to not want to relax in my own back yard. So we had a nice dinner by the fire. It was wonderful. Music, food, and perfect weather. Stayed out until the moon came up.

It's nights like tonight that really help me "get it". There is normal life without drinking. I have a LONG ways to go but a small victory nonetheless.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone. Sounds like everyone is settling in.

Soberclover, I hope you are in better spirits tomorrow. What you are doing tonight sounds like the perfect night. Hockey game. Keeping hands and mind busy. I did that a lot. Still do.

FaD, that looks like like a great place to be. I'm glad you are enjoying your vacation.

Tetra, an adventure would be a nice thing for you. Dream big! Don't take your sister's situation onto your shoulders. Focus on you.

I'm listening to a documentary The Sixties on CNN. This segment is on the British invasion so I can actually listen to it while I sit here. It's interesting. Apparently they also have one on the seventies coming in the future. I saw a copy of the cover of David Bowie's Pin Ups album so they will talk about music there too.

I'm going to bed early. For me anyway. I usually go down around 11 but it's 10 and everyone is in bed. See you all in the morning. Bim, wish I had your beach.