Notices

new and terrified

Old 06-01-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new and terrified

Hello,

I am a 38 year old man, who has been binge drinking for 20 years. Over the last one year i have really lost control.

I drink every friday - up to 10-11 cans of beer and i feel awful the next day.

2 days ago on Sunday night I drank 7 beers and for the first time, I couldnt handle it. I was really feeling drunk on 7 beers (which is odd for me).

I went to sleep at midnight but woke up wide awake by 4am. Couldnt go back to sleep after that. Had a ball of anxiety in my belly that wouldnt go away.

Yesterday night, I couldnt sleep either! This has never happened before. I took 0.25Alprazolam and got 2hours of sleep. Then I woke up to pee and had the terrible anxiety again.

I took another 0.25mg of alprazolam and managed 2.5 more hours.

So for the past 2 days I've had only roughly 8 hours of sleep. I am at work now and actually feel alert. But for the ball of anxiety in my belly.

Are these normal withdrawal symptoms, I have never experienced insomnia before in my life.

I am so scared my liver is cirrhosed or something. But LFTs and a fibro scan performed in 2013 were fine.

Any advice would be much appreciated right now.

Thank you
Old 06-01-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi drash, and welcome I'm only 21 days sober today, and I literally could not sleep at all for at least the first 5 days. It's completely normal, and it eventually passes. I still have trouble sleeping sometimes, but that's normal for me.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention, it might be a good idea to check with a doctor. Withdrawals can sometimes be nasty.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

We can't give medical advice but anxiety is a typical symptom of withdrawal from alcohol. Are you planning to stop drinking?
Old 06-01-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome drash.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Hi Drash,
Yes, insomnia is common in the beginning. The anxiety will start to subside too, alcohol damages the central nervous system. Don't be fooled by a good liver result in 2013, often trouble doesn't show up until the damage has progressed and can change quickly. We can't offer medical advice here, so your best bet is to speak with your doctor. The good news is that the liver is capable of regenerating itself before the damage is irreversible.
stick around, you will find a lot of support here.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks

thank you everyone for the prompt replies and support.

I absolutely want to stop drinking and have been trying to unsuccessfully for the past year. I have tried AA for the past 4 months but it hasn't worked for me.

Looking into SMART recovery. I may still go back to AA, but it's hard to get to meetings as they are 1 hour away from where I work/live.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

some success

I did manage 70 days sober from February to April of 2015. My mom visited and stayed at my place. For some reason having her around dissipated all my anxiety, and I didnt even feel like drinking!!!

Started my weekend binges again after she left though
Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi drash. Welcome to SR.

I'm around your age and I am on day 35 of being sober. The first few days were difficult sleeping but right after that was when I started having the best sleep that I've had in years. The anxiety stopped for me after a few days too. I would recommend getting a checkup too. I went during my 2nd week. One thing that I have to say that has really helped me is this website, the forums and the awesome support here. Also, staying busy and going out for walks has helped me a great deal.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

glad you are here drash.....the anxiety I experienced the last few times I drank was "monumental". I hope that you will stick around here, read & post often....know that you are not alone in this & that life without alcohol is such a relief from the anxiety, sleeplessness & feelings of low self worth....you can do this drash!!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!! You will get whatever support you need on here! We don't have to do this alone!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR drash

D
Old 06-01-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Drash
Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The wake up and anxiety happened to me long ago and is very unpleasant. The way to avoid it is to avoid drinking and rely temporarily on prescriptions carefully controlled by your physician. If you succeed in stopping drinking (it isn't easy; it's best to seek the help and companionship of other alcoholics) then you may be able to avoid hospitalization or a rehab. But if you require either or both, then follow up in an after care program is highly desirable, since you are likely to be very vulnerable to a relapse in the initial months of sobriety. It's a long uphill climb but the road gets easier and easier if you persist and work at it. Good luck.

W.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Damage to your liver won't cause anxiety as a symptom.
The thought of the damage you might have done could cause anxiety.

Alcohol is notorious for causing depression and anxiety.
At first it might seem fun and harmless but it can cause awful psychological symptoms.

It's not just your liver that can be damaged through drinking.
It is a cancer causing substance, 2nd after smoking.
You can damage your GI tract too and also suffer nerve damage in your hands and feet.
Don't think if you have not damaged your liver, you have escaped unscathed.
I'm not trying to scare you, but newcomers often think only of their liver and there are other things that can happen a lot quicker health wise than your liver loosing function.

Early morning waking is also typical of drinking and the anxiety it causes.
I drank for years to try sleep but only realised it produced the worst quality of sleep.
I used to wake every day at 4am with a racing heart and a sense of doom.

Why not try some alcohol free days and see if you sleep better and are less anxious?
If it does get better, at least you know not drinking helps eradicate it.

I'm 3 years in.
I would never go back.
I wish you the best xx
Old 06-02-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit better

I'm finally feeling slightly better. Still anxious but it's not so bad that it's taking my breath away anymore. I can't believe what I just went through.

I went to a doctor today who gave me a weeks worth of Valium and Fluoxetine for my anxiety (I'm a long time sufferer).

I still can't explain the feeling of utter doom that had gripped me these past 48hrs.

Utter hell. I need a plan. I know I want to quit this poison forever. But I also know my resolve will be only half of what it is today after a week sober.
How do I maintain my conviction?
Does posting here daily help?

AA unfortunately did nothing for me. Nice bunch of people. Very welcoming. Just found the steps a bit strange. Sorry if I'm offending anyone. Respect to all who've managed to stay sober with AA.

I'm trying to find a way to make it stick this time.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here.

AA varies a lot by the group I have found. I attend meetings in my home town which are very good. As I travel and pop into meetings, at times I think - man if I had to get sober here it'd be tough.........

I am thankful to have discovered the vast array of AA literature either way. The book Living Sober helped (helps) a ton. It's not a how to quit but more of a practical daily guide to living sober.

Regardless of your chosen method, sobriety changes everything. At almost a year of sobriety, I am just starting to understand the veil of a full life has been lifted. So grateful and humbled.........

Glad you're here with us - please stay!!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Drash!!