Notices

another horrible weekend :(

Old 06-01-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another horrible weekend :(

saturday woke up feeling great since i didnt drink all week or friday night. went to driving range and had great time. then met friends for lunch and of course messed up all the way until sunday night. fought with they boyfriend all weekend, horrible regrets, no sleep, sick again
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you decided to drink. It might be a good idea to stay away from friends who are drinking until you feel stable in your recovery. It's a hard thing to do, but I know for me, it was essential.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you decided to drink. Ditto on what Anna said on meeting with friends.

I also know that when I was feeling great, and hadn't had a drink for a while, I'd reward myself for doing so well by having a drink. I can never forget where that leads. Hang in there.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there W2FG, time to get back on the bicycle again. Try not to beat yourself up too much. Trust in the mantra - I will not drink now, I will not drink today. Baby steps.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start again.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feeling good is definitely a trigger for me. I'm finding new ways to "celebrate" like buying a new book and reading at the coffee shop, cooking or going out for a meal with sober friends, doing something outside, taking the dogs to the park--anything but drink
Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would stay away from drinking situations, even if it's lunch with friends. In the beginning it is just too draining to have to struggle with the addictive voice. You will eventually calm the mind, and be more in control, but until then, work on your sobriety in safe places. Next time, before you sit down with friends, make the commitment to yourself that you will not drink, because we all know it's not just one drink. It just makes it more real. You can do it!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When my husband and I went to my cousin's house yesterday to pick up my husband's weed, my cousin's husband and my husband began drinking beer while we all sat down in the living room and talked. I told everyone that it was time to go, as I needed something to eat. I felt too tempted and took care of myself by removing myself from the situation.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sometimes we have to get sick and tired of being sick and tired before we have a true desire to stop drinking
Old 06-01-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

then met friends for lunch and of course messed up all the way until sunday night

wow, that's a seriously LONG lunch!

sober isn't something that just happens to us one day, it's an ongoing activity. each day, every day. the better PLAN we have for our sobriety, the more SUCCESS we will have. you use the same approach as if you were planning for a week camping in the woods. you will need food, shelter, clothing, comfortable shoes/boots, etc etc etc......the list goes on.

for this recovery journey you wil need certain tools, certain equipment, you will need to assure you have safe shelter (alcohol free zone), safe food and drink (where you eat, what you eat, what you drink), and security in your surroundings (who you hang with).

just like we avoid the poison ivy patch, we avoid people places and things that relate to alcohol. we don't TEST our sobriety, we PROTECT it. we treat it as the gift it is, precious and all too easily lost.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
then met friends for lunch and of course messed up all the way until sunday night wow, that's a seriously LONG lunch! sober isn't something that just happens to us one day, it's an ongoing activity. each day, every day. the better PLAN we have for our sobriety, the more SUCCESS we will have. you use the same approach as if you were planning for a week camping in the woods. you will need food, shelter, clothing, comfortable shoes/boots, etc etc etc......the list goes on. for this recovery journey you wil need certain tools, certain equipment, you will need to assure you have safe shelter (alcohol free zone), safe food and drink (where you eat, what you eat, what you drink), and security in your surroundings (who you hang with). just like we avoid the poison ivy patch, we avoid people places and things that relate to alcohol. we don't TEST our sobriety, we PROTECT it. we treat it as the gift it is, precious and all too easily lost.
This ^^
Old 06-01-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

whats your recovery plan like want2feelgood?

D
Old 06-01-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this was your last horrible weekend.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

trying to recover by... trying not to hate myself so much today. reading other posts and inspiration. drinking tons of water. going to work out after work although i feel horrible not going to meet some friends for dinner because they will be drinking. Go to bed early with a book or tv. hope i can sleep and not cry all night. Not going to give up on myself!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by want2feelGood View Post

not going to meet some friends for dinner because they will be drinking.
That would be a good call
if I was not sure about my sobriety today
Mountainmanbob
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by want2feelGood View Post
trying to recover by... trying not to hate myself so much today. reading other posts and inspiration. drinking tons of water. going to work out after work although i feel horrible not going to meet some friends for dinner because they will be drinking. Go to bed early with a book or tv. hope i can sleep and not cry all night. Not going to give up on myself!
You sound pretty down. Are you bummed because you let yourself down this weekend, or are you bummed because you aren't going to be meeting up with friends and instead just staying in and reading or watching tv? I've found that it helps to have a positive outlook when choosing not to drink; rather than depriving yourself of something (alcohol and hanging out with friends), you are giving yourself something very wonderful instead: sobriety. That means waking up without a hangover, and not feeling the guilty and frustration that you feel right now. Many people "treat" themselves in other ways. Do you have a guilty pleasure like ice cream, chocolate cake, etc? Indulge on Friday night instead of going out to drink.

I think it's great that you are here. SR has helped me become and stay sober. My drinking behavior sounds very similar to yours and if I can stop drinking I know you can too. Hang in there!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The reality of this situation is that YOU like to drink...and now you're being asked to give it up. And that sucks because you had a good time getting drunk...right?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Don't give up. You can do this....one hour, one day at a time.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ishallnotwant View Post
Feeling good is definitely a trigger for me. I'm finding new ways to "celebrate" like buying a new book and reading at the coffee shop, cooking or going out for a meal with sober friends, doing something outside, taking the dogs to the park--anything but drink
First, I'm sorry it happened to you, and second, I hope you are feeling better.

Feeling good was always a trigger for me also. Being sad, mad, any negative feeling, never made me feel like I wanted to drink. I only drank when I was happy.

Once you get past this, you'll find that feeling good is a trigger for not drinking. Because you'll know that you'll feel even better for choosing not to! It took me a while, but now at a bit over two years sober, I look forward to the outdoor events, the concerts, the dinners with friends, because I know that in the morning, I'll wake up feeling even better and with no regrets.

Good luck, you can do this.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi SwimKim, i am feeling down because i gave in to the poison thinking i could handle it and sad because i am probably going to lose my boyfriend over getting sober because he is a big drinker. he is 49 years old and lives above his favorite bar where all his friends are at all the time. i am afraid because i cant think of anything else to do besides meet friends for drinks thats what my friends do and im really sad because im going to be really lonely