Notices

New Attitude

Old 05-31-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Attitude

Well, hanging around here is helping and I am going to really try and visit more and post daily so that when I weaken I can remind myself how far I've come (hopefully) and it might help someone else who has made the promise so many times and stuffed up so many times.
My low was Friday when I found out my children are worried about my drinking I was just so full of shame but it's starting to morph into feelings of hope that I can change. I have given up smoking as well as one things leads to the other for me. I have become quite reclusive and to join the real world seems to take more and more effort these days and I don't want to live like that. I used to take a lot of pride in my appearance and that has stopped and I would like to get some of that back.
Best wishes to all and your posts help me a lot and make me want to be a part of it
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard mayg

D
Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello mayg ,
welcome along to SR ,
Alcohol made me very insular and isolated , change is possible ,

Keep coming back , m
Old 06-01-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome mayg....I too use to take a lot of pride in my appearance........I'm getting back there......I just got a hair color last Wednesday and I gave myself a manicure and pedicure yesterday. You'll get there.....time is on your side.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome.

My drinking isolated me a lot and I think you've made a great choice to stop and be in recovery. Good for you!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome guys. And well done Debbie329 on getting a hair colour. I am looking forward to doing that sort of thing again rather than opening the wine and then the evening/night is gone. Mayg xx
Old 06-01-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do this--I also didn't take care of myself and was very casual about grooming when drinking, but that has really changed--in fact, joining a gym and
getting fit were an important part of my sobriety program.

Taking care of you is much more beneficial than feeling bad about your drinking.

What's done is done--stay sober and you'll be surprised how quickly people
will embrace the new "non-drinking" you
Old 06-01-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'm taking better care of myself and my beloved critters now that I'm sober. Living sober has been really good for me.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome Mayg
Old 06-01-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, mayg. I let my appearance go too but once I started not drinking, it started coming back. Opening a bottle of wine really sucked the life out of me. I hope to see you around.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mayg, Welcome and I'm glad you posted.

I think that knowing we hurt our children with our drinking is one of the hardest things to accept, but use it as motivation to move forward and be the person and mother you want to be. It's good you're aware that you're isolating a bit and plan to get out and do things.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. I've only been here a few days myself but is is already making a huge difference
Old 06-03-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, am at the end of Day 5 and staying up to watch the tennis and catch up on some work. I can hear myself thinking about a drink but have decided to call my AV voice Joan as in Mommy Dearest and so far it seems to be working. My kids came back from their dad's and I am sure they noticed that I wasn't drinking, though they deserve not to have to think about that. Mayg
Old 06-03-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done, mayg, and welcome! Amazing things will happen with sobriety - you've probably noticed that they are already beginning for you. SR. has been a lifeline for me when I choose to use it. Stay involved here and post often for help and to support others. We care.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi mayg.
5 days is fantastic.
Heard an interesting thing, someone said to me recently
"what people don't understand is that for people like us, even running a bath is a difficult job sometimes "
Take it easy getting back into the real world!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I think of the many shames of drinking was my appearance and hygiene. I just don't know why I didn't want a shower in the end. I did at times but it was a massive effort. I just don't get that part. I have broken veins and so look like a drunk and I just loathe it. I had very vivid dreams last night and when I woke up I thought I had broken my promise and it took a little while to realise I'd been dreaming and was on Day 6. Thank you for your warm wishes. Last time I tried I think I posted twice and didn't really embrace SR but I can see I was wrong to go alone. I tried AA a few times but, I don't know. I very much respect what works for anyone but I have trouble talking to my neighbours let alone standing or sitting in a room with people telling their deepest darkest (I like hearing it but not sharing mine) that is very selfish I know.
One nice thing that happened was when kids got home from dad's I was up and sober (they are older) and watching the tennis and the older two stayed up till 1 watching it and just chatting so that was nice. Hope everyone has a good day and is kind to themselves. Mayg