Notices

I keep trying... and I keep failing.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I keep trying... and I keep failing.

When I want to get sober the physical withdrawals kick my butt, then I want to stay sober and the emotional with. drawals kick my butt.. ugh..
Old 05-31-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Hi C,
Sorry that you are suffering. I think the answer is- never give up!
I think days 1-3 of withdrawal are the hardest. Could you try again staying close to SR for support? I'm rooting for you!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Just, Keep, Trying.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The mental aspect is for sure the tougher hurdle to overcome, it takes a while to get used to living sober and finding value in all its aspects, especially the social aspects. You wouldn't be here if you didn't really want it to work though, which is a good start
Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Charliee, it's good to hear from you--stop by more. SoberRecovery can be a source of inspiration, but you have to read around and post often. Join an on-going thread or read the Friends and Family section to remind yourself of the disaster of alcoholism.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is tough, Charliee.

As far as I know there's no way to the other side but through all of that. You've done it before, you know that. Maybe posting here about every tiny little thing could help you in the very difficult times. There's always someone here who can relate.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I posted this in your duplicate thread...

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Charliee, it's good to hear from you--stop by more. SoberRecovery can be a source of inspiration, but you have to read around and post often. Join an on-going thread or read the Friends and Family section to remind yourself of the disaster of alcoholism.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What are you trying to do to cope with the emotional effects of quitting, Charliee? I can only suggest the classic: if what you are doing does not work well, try other things... new strategies. It's tough for everyone. I only quit drinking once in my life so far (and I plan it to be permanent), but it often seems the case that when people relapse, new methods need to be introduced at least in part. There are lots of tools to choose from, what I think it probably more limiting is that we don't use them consistently. I don't know in your case, but one observation I can make is that you do tend to come here for short periods of time, disappear, then a little bit again usually when you are feeling like failing. I find that it's important to keep up with our coping strategies of choice also when things go well and we feel stable and happy -- in fact, for me, those are the states I tend to be most vulnerable to thoughts of drinking.

Also, I think the physical and emotional strategies can really interact and support each-other, eg. I find regular exercise and eating essential for my emotional well-being, and as soon as I neglect these, I tend to feel the effect.

You can absolutely get and stay sober again, maybe with some extra effort this time.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Quitting is taxing both physically and mentally. It is really tough. But keep trying and like Haennie said try some different approaches.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok, my plan..... 1. Check in here daily, not just viewing but posting on how I am doing. 2. Suck it up and get through the physical stuff and stop being such a wimp 3. Going to meetings of some sort .4 .Start exercising (although I hate it) 5. Add and lot of vitamins and good for you food.

I just need help and you guys are the best I got
Old 05-31-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I will check in hourly, I have a little to help with withdrawals so I can get to work tomorrow....
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So it's 1'oclock. I am going to finally eat something after 3 days, hopefully it will stay down. I have been throwing up a lot. I'm then going to work on cleaning some clothes out of my closet to stay occupied.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried and failed so many times, but when I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, I stayed sober. Over five years now!

Old 05-31-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ugh, onto eating something. Yuck!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I might suggest going easy on exercise for the short term.....much as if you had the flu, you shouldn't be at the gym or running 10 miles until your body has a chance to restore itself.

feeding yourself good healthy foods is wonderful. drink lots of water. REST. know that this is the BEST thing you could EVER do for yourself, get thru the rough patch and be on your way to healthy happy sobriety.

you won't be "fixed" by Wednesday, so accept that. slow and steady. day by day. choose Health over Hell on Earth.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, only because I told you guys I would, I'm eating. First time in a few days, just hope it stays down this time. So far so good, pizza
Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, food helped. I then finished what I had left of the drink and got scared. Went and bought 4 shooters so I don't go overboard to get me through the day. Cold turkey sucks so much ...
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Charilee, I could not taper no matter how I tried. Maybe you need medical detox to help you through?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

3. Going to meetings of some sort .

Do you mean AA meetings?

If you grab on to AA like a drowning person grabs on to a Life Preserver, you might just find that AA is like, well, a life preserver.

AA in early sobriety was like a life preserver for me, it's sort of designed to assist the wearer in keeping afloat.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Food always helps, especially if you haven't been eating. I always feel super low in the morning. Crabby, discontent, angry. Then it dawns on me that I haven't eaten. Fixes me right up. If you have trouble eating I'd recommend the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

There really is only one way and that is going through it like SDH said. It stinks. It isn't easy. But it has to be done if you want to get sober. I like your plan of posting on here. Staying close. What SDH said brought to mind "yea, though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death". I'm not biblical but that particular passage stands out among snippets. We are fire tested. Keep coming back. Stay active. Cleaning your closet is good.