SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Issues Never Thought About (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/368508-new-issues-never-thought-about.html)

AugustWest11 05-31-2015 05:36 AM

New Issues Never Thought About

So I'm sober; no feelings to change that. My problem is the xanax I'm prescribed. It's not much & it truly has been a godsend to my battle w\ anxiety.

I only take .5\6-8 hrs. But I can "feel" the body craving it. Like now actually; it's been 8+ hours & I am getting mild withdrawal. Not to mention my anxiety issues to haha. But its the with drawing I'm concerned with.

Also looking to get off of coffee to so any ideas, advice would be great.

Dennis

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery

biminiblue 05-31-2015 05:38 AM

I self-withdrew Xanax a few years ago. I did a weaning schedule. I'm fine now without it. Yeah, it works. Too well. I believe it was partially the Xanax that led me back to drinking after 18 years sobriety - it gave me a too vivid memory of that euphoria/numbing. I'm glad to be rid of it.

The caffeine really got to me in a negative way in early sobriety, but I'm able to have two cups of half-caf in the mornings now with no anxiety or jitteriness.

AugustWest11 05-31-2015 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5398731)
I self-withdrew Xanax a few years ago. I did a weaning schedule. I'm fine now without it. Yeah, it works. Too well. I believe it was partially the Xanax that led me back to drinking after 18 years sobriety - it gave me a too vivid memory of that euphoria/numbing. I'm glad to be rid of it.

The caffeine really got to me in a negative way in early sobriety, but I'm able to have two cups of half-caf in the mornings now with no anxiety or jitteriness.

Realistically, I can't see the xanax taking me back to booze. I've never been one to mix booze & pills. My main issue is I can feel the tingles & I know the feeling of withdraw, so it has me concerned some. I'm still at the point I think I'd be fine if I quit; at least addiction & body wise.
I'm more concerned with my mind & down the road, seizures .

I'm gonna go the half & half route for coffee soon though. That has been a plan for awhile. Thanx for the input.

Dennis

biminiblue 05-31-2015 06:16 AM

I know there is a lot of info about withdrawal from benzos.

As with most things, I was "man the torpedos" and just did it myself with no research. I didn't have any withdrawals other than I had to actually deal with my anxiety. Oh, wait. No I didn't - I was drinking. :(

AugustWest11 05-31-2015 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5398783)
I know there is a lot of info about withdrawal from benzos.

As with most things, I was "man the torpedos" and just did it myself with no research. I didn't have any withdrawals other than I had to actually deal with my anxiety. Oh, wait. No I didn't - I was drinking. :(

Yea, after my recent seizure, I've been reading things a lil more. The seizure is\was unrelated to any drugs or alcohol. It actually is thought to be brought on by my anxiety & the craziness going on right now. But like anything I'm prescribed, I researched it.

Also found out one of the non narcotic pain meds (tramadol) that has helped in the past, can make you subsequent to seizures. I know that's the wrong word, but you get what I mean haha.

It's the seizure that scares me since my brother said I stopped breathing...

Dennis

jaynie04 05-31-2015 07:39 AM

Hi Dennis. Benzos were a problem for me but I had intermittent anxiety and should not have used them daily. I would talk to your doctor about a similar medication with a longer half life. There are medications that don't have as quick an effect as Xanax, but also stay in your system longer so the overall effect is much less up and down. I would explain what you are feeling. I understand the withdrawal feeling you are experiencing, and that feeling made me anxious.

AugustWest11 05-31-2015 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jaynie04 (Post 5398877)
Hi Dennis. Benzos were a problem for me but I had intermittent anxiety and should not have used them daily. I would talk to your doctor about a similar medication with a longer half life. There are medications that don't have as quick an effect as Xanax, but also stay in your system longer so the overall effect is much less up and down. I would explain what you are feeling. I understand the withdrawal feeling you are experiencing, and that feeling made me anxious.

Yea I've been thinking Valuim again. Problem is the fast acting is what I really need though lol It's a damned if I do damned if I don't I guess. Thanx ..

Coldfusion 05-31-2015 07:55 AM

AW, one thing I have learned from being a member of this forum is that benzos over time lead to increased anxiety. This was also my experience with short-term use of Lorazepam--I found myself getting very anxious when my next dose was needed.

All I can say is that you need to have faith that, over time, living a clean and sober life will lead to decreased anxiety.

AugustWest11 05-31-2015 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Coldfusion (Post 5398891)
AW, one thing I have learned from being a member of this forum is that benzos over time lead to increased anxiety. This was also my experience with short-term use of Lorazepam--I found myself getting very anxious when my next dose was needed.

All I can say is that you need to have faith that, over time, living a clean and sober life will lead to decreased anxiety.

That's tough; I have no faith .. I've always had anxiety issues; even the years I was sober. The chronic pain doesn't help. But I do know benzos are dangerous.

I need to find a new doctor anyway; so maybe they'll have suggestions. Thanx ..

chicory 05-31-2015 08:38 AM

Dennis... sorry you are feeling uncomfortable , but those withdrawals feelings are crappy to deal with. I know that anxiety stinks.. but there are other natural ways to help rid yourself of a good bit of anxiety. Perhaps a bit of research for a non narcotic, natural anxiety reducer? exercise can be helpful .
hugs
chic

Joe Nerv 05-31-2015 09:58 AM

When I was active I'm pretty sure Xanax wasn't around. If it was, I didn't know about it. Valium however, was very much my friend. Valium also worked incredibly well. If I could have afforded to continue my habit, I'd have probably never quit.

The thing I believe is this. If I had continued medicating my panic and anxiety in any way, I'd have never learned to overcome it. Panic is horrific, anxiety is uncomfortable, but if we're willing to take steps to get over them and experience that unaccountability for a while, it's entirely doable. For me though they didn't just go away on their own, simply because I put the drink down. It took a little over 2 years to feel completely free, but I kept getting just a little bit better all the time, and that helped keep me on track. The 12 steps and prayer were a HUGE tool for me, but I don't believe that's the only solution. I religiously did relaxation exercises, got into a physical exercise routine, started eating a lot more healthfully being really watchful of my sugar intake (sugar crashes used to give me panic attacks). Coffee for anxiety ridden people is just plain nuts, by the way :), and I couldn't go near it early on. Anyhow, there's lots that can be done holistically to help heal, but I really don't think that's possible if we're using chemicals to keep the anxiety at bay. It seems pretty common that the chemicals actually exacerbate the anxiety in the long run. It's not easy to get off of any psych meds, and absolutely IMO shouldn't be attempted without a doctors care. Seen far too many tragic endings to people attempting to quit their meds alone :/.

Anyhow, gettin long winded because this is a hot topic for me. In short, there's hope. I'm certain of it.

AugustWest11 05-31-2015 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by chicory (Post 5398932)
Dennis... sorry you are feeling uncomfortable , but those withdrawals feelings are crappy to deal with. I know that anxiety stinks.. but there are other natural ways to help rid yourself of a good bit of anxiety. Perhaps a bit of research for a non narcotic, natural anxiety reducer? exercise can be helpful .
hugs
chic

Thanx; I've researched & tried practically all kinds of herbs teas pressure points & such. My movement w\ out pain is very limited so exercise is out. I've gotten this far an over come allot so I'm hoping the doctor I decide on will be able to help.

Dennis

AugustWest11 05-31-2015 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv (Post 5399065)

Anyhow, gettin long winded because this is a hot topic for me. In short, there's hope. I'm certain of it.

I have some hope we'll find something. Like I said I just need to make it through this weekend & find a human doctor not the jacka** I had HaHa.

Dennis