Notices

why is it so hard?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

why is it so hard?

So I started again.

I dont have physical withdrawal which is at least a bonus, after speaking to my doctor I am a problem drinker with a psychological dependance but not a physical one. Not sure that makes it better.

I need to stop again. I know if I can get to three weeks for me at least it get easier.

Things are getting worse- I have finally (as expected) ended up in legal trouble after a breakdown brought on by my drinking and my mental health has resulted in a breach of the peace. The stress got too much and I just broke. The drinking didnt help.

I just am struggling so much.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I found it much easier and less of a struggle to have a program of recovery, like the 12 steps of AA. Also, keeping a record of regular attendance at meetings looks good to a judge.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a possibility you will develop physical withdrawal symptoms in the future if you keep drinking, and especially if you binge --> stop --> binge --> stop over and over. And trust me, anxiety attacks are not fun. You have neurochemical systems just like the rest of us humans.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/13-24.pdf
Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back DramaStudent, sorry to hear of your struggles. Have you been following any type of formal sobriety plan or seeking counseling/assistance at all? 3 weeks is a pretty good amount of time to stay sober.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Drama. Glad you're here.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What exactly happened that you got into legal trouble?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been advised legally (as its outstanding) to not talk about specifics- but I didnt harm any one, never have and never would. Basically it was a rather loud breakdown brought about by the loss of three close family members in a year, depression, anxiety and stress all merging together. I will eventually talk about it more, but I can't right now. Its not serious enough to warrant jail time, in fact there is a good chance the charges might be dropped.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand. Well, good luck. One of my biggest fears is drinking and getting into legal trouble. I have been able to escape that "yet" for now, but there have been several times in my past in which I could have gotten into trouble, but I was just never caught. I am so fearful about going to jail.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why is it so hard? I take it you mean 'to stay stopped.'

Answers:
Fear of change.

Not having the coping skills to deal with life's adversities, so we cope by drinking.

Not getting enough sober help and wisdom to learn how to cope with our fears and adversities. Relying too much on self.

Regular meetings with other sober (recovered) people will help you deal with those fears of change, and cope with adversities.

Faith (trust) that going to meet such people will help you.

If fear still stops you from doing the above. Start praying!

In fact, why not pray right NOW.