Notices

Reach For The Stars!!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That is wonderful news! Congrats!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank You PurpleKnight...this post really moved me !

DD
Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

...hope your interview goes well !!!

DD
Old 05-30-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That's truly awesome and inspiring PK! How long have you been sober? I'm pretty new and just curious how long it took to go from the dark early days to where are now.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
Where are you working now man, NASA is it? Or the National Observatory ha.
Funny enough there is a planetarium not far from where I live, the Armagh planetarium is the name, here's a pic, we used to go on school trips and they sold astronaut food, including . . . (where's Trachs??) . . . astronaut ICE CREAM!!

Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
How long have you been sober? I'm pretty new and just curious how long it took to go from the dark early days to where are now.
For me, I felt a jetlagged feeling for about a month, and then I had to battle many dark emotions for a few months after that, people talk about 3 Months as a major milestone, and I'd agree, at that point I was ready to start building again, and by 6 months I new I had something.

By 1 Year I had gone through every social event and holiday Sober, Xmas, New Years, St Patrick's day, birthdays, weddings, funerals, life itself was being aligned to a Sober lifestyle and I'd gone through some of the toughest challenges for the first time which gave me confidence going into Year 2!!

My official Sobriety date is 16th November 2013, so that means over 1.5 Years, or 19 Months, it takes time and that's my biggest tip for anyone, you've got the rest of your life to create a life, so be patient, there's plenty of time.

Keep breathing, don't panic, hours turn into days, which turn into weeks, months and years, each small step creates the life we are working towards and truly deserve!!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh yeah pretty neat. Come to think of it we went to one also is it far from the Marbel Arch?

It could have been Armagh, I don't rightly remember but it was no great shakes at that time.

Bit of a day out anyway, exciting times. Your post was inspiring btw, good luck with the job.

edit- F'n was an all hey! Cool beans! "Who's smoking hash on the bus"? Not me mind you.

It was the principles son, he didn't give a F. I got the bus driver to play an aul tape I had.

That's where all of my faith, hope and happiness lied back then. Beatbox! Cheers boy
Old 06-01-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations PK awesome news
Old 06-01-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lovely post!! Good luck!!! You will do great.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post

......... it takes time and that's my biggest tip for anyone, you've got the rest of your life to create a life, so be patient, there's plenty of time.

Keep breathing, don't panic, hours turn into days, which turn into weeks, months and years, each small step creates the life we are working towards and truly deserve!!

Last week I traveled to Tucson and kicked around the Sonoran Desert a bit. Became reacquainted with some giant saguaro cactus I once knew.

A saguaro can live to be 250 years old.
At 10 years they are slightly less than 4cm tall = less than 2 inches! Around 75 years they start to grow the "arms" that make them so recognizable. 50 ft tall saguaro is very, very old compared to our human timeline. It patiently grows a little each year.

I contemplated this as it relates to my sobriety. I cannot rush it and have learned I don't want to rush it or need to. I am starting to enjoy each day as it comes, approaching a year of sobriety.

Thanks PK for the reminder today of patience.....
Nice Thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
saguro.jpg (6.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great post Purpleknight

You are a really positive influence on SR
Old 06-01-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

You rock PK!!!!! Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

Ken
Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks PK and thanks also for the DM. I realize this will be a marathon, not a sprint and your reply gives me an idea what lies ahead. It's only been 28 days but it all seems so much longer ago. Fortunately I'm no longer suffering and am really enjoying the journey (so far. I'm watching out for the AV). I feel much better and from what I'm taking from your response it's just the tip of the iceberg. Thanks for that PK!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post

Don’t let anyone tell you Sobriety is not the way forward, if nothing else know that alcohol is definitely not the way forward, for me I know now alcohol robbed me of seeking my potential, I became content with settling for what I had, rather than looking for the next challenge.
Hey PK, my esteemed friend!

I've been meaning to write you a response for awhile. You are so incredibly inspiring, PK. Your words have boosted and propelled me forward on my own journey for the past year. Your kindness, friendship and guidance are so appreciated. I remember the thrill and excitement of your preparation for your sister's wedding in London! Yee!

I am right there with you PK with pushing past the boundaries imposed by the glacial freeze of a life with alcohol. How inspiring it is to get to read how your professional journey is unfolding. Thanks for including us with this. Please continue to update!

You are living such an exciting life! Nice job, my friend. Thanks for all you give on SR, as I am sure you do irl as well. Enjoy the mental preparation and interview process. Oh, I just love interviews.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congrats! Great news and an inspiration to others!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone,

Thanks soo much for all your heartfelt replies, it really means a lot to me, you don't know how much this guy has been touched sitting here once again reading your responses, there's a ridiculous irony in the fact that I and many of us were on the road to destruction, we pushed people away, ruined and strained relationships, let selfishness and deceit enter our lives as a result of our addiction, and yet here on SR we can experience soo much love once again.

Anyways (time to man up and not cry ) . . . I promised myself when I knew something, I'd post, for me a conclusion to this thread was needed, I started with the theme of opportunity in Sobriety, shared an example from my own life but surely the story wouldn't be complete without a conclusion?

Well this afternoon I received a phone call, in fact my colleague answered the phone and as soon as I realized who it was my heart began to race, my colleague asked was I free and could they transfer the call through? and I agreed that they could, I had a cup of coffee beside me and took a few gulps just before I took the call, there were a few pleasantries, as is traditional in Ireland, how's the weather? how was the weekend? etc, then we got down to business.

Now I don't know if many of you have seen the X Factor or other reality TV shows? but you know that annoying thing that judges on these shows do when they make a contestant think they have ben unsuccessful when they haven't, well that's how the conversation went, it began:

"Unfortunately (my heart sunk) I'm very sad to say (my heart sunk even further) that you're going to have to say goodbye to your current team"

Surely there should be laws against this sort thing?!!

I didn't know where I was and the few earlier gulps of coffee probably wasn't helping my heart rate either with a sudden caffeine burst, but finally when I'd worked out what he was actually saying I was speechless, something like "thanks very much" came out, to which he replied I knocked the interview questions out of the park, well structured and overall scored the highest out of 24 candidates, again pretty speechless, but without a drop of alcohol passing through me for over a year and a half I knew myself my 1 hour interview last Thurs morning at 9am was different, I was sharp and focused, I knew my answers backwards, it was the best I could have done.

My new role begins on 15th July, approximately 6 weeks of training to be completed until the beginning of Sept and then I start, I'm excited but also under no illusions of the work ahead, but isn't that why we are alive? A new challenge, something to feel, something to try our hand at?

My conclusion is still the same, Sobriety is a foundation upon which to build a life, I am convinced of that fact, it also opens doors, my confidence to even apply for a new role was created out of no where, one day I woke up and said to myself let's go for it, and now without alcohol I was free to decide what I want from this life and not the other way around.

Reach for the stars guys, every day I read threads here on SR about what alcohol is taking away from us, but why stick with something that offers nothing but simply takes? whereas Sobriety opens doors, I also read of relationships, careers, family life, so many things that are possible without alcohol in the picture.

I know which option I’d rather choose!!

PK
Old 06-16-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank you. Just very, very helpful to hear.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Awesome!!!! Thanks for the post! Rock that interview, PK!!!!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Well Done PK! Congratulations on your new position and on your continued success in your new sober life!!
I'm just now seeing this thread, so please forgive me for not wishing you luck earlier.
My eyes teared up as I read this for a lot of reasons, but mainly because you're an inspiration to many of us here and you deserve good things in your life. I love it when one of our own does well! You totally rock!!
Xoxo
Old 06-16-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

That is just the most awesome thing ever!!! I'm so happy for you!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I so glad for you PK - awesome news

D