Notices

They Don't Understand

Old 05-30-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They Don't Understand

People think they understand about alcohol recovery, but very few do. Few other than those who have traveled the dark road, as we have.

Against the general wisdom, I started seeing a woman. Everyone was right: It isn't good to date in the first year.

She fell for me hook, line, and sinker. At first it was cool, then I started having these strange feelings. Mood swings. Serious ones. One minute everything was great, and I was ready to take the relationship to the next level. Another moment, I was panicky and wanted out. Some of that is normal, at least to a degree, but this was beyond normality.

I had to break it off. I tried to explain, and she said, "I understand. I had an uncle who was an alcoholic. Let me help you."

She meant well. They ALL mean well. But they don't get it.

"Why can't you watch movies at home?" I hear it all the time. The answer is, I used to start drinking and watch DVDs. Every night. Movies are a trigger for me. "Oh, you can do it! Just put your mind to it!". Maybe I could, but I don't wish to tempt fate. So far at least, staying away from movies at home has helped me stay sober.

People don't get it. Nor, I guess, should they. This is our struggle.

I hope very much to be able to watch movies at home, and I hope to fall in love again one day. These things take time, and I have to do it in my own way, in my own time.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is why SR is so great. People do get it.

As for dating, if it triggers you, walking alone for a while is indeed a good idea. In time, as you said, things will fall into place.

Rock on