Notices

Dui

Old 05-30-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I lost my sister in an alcohol related accident so I'm pretty offended. Put on your big boy pants and take what you have coming. Get your crap together before you kill yourself or someone else and have something to really worry about. This is a recovery forum for recovery issues. Not a forum to figure out how to get out of a DWI. If you want help to put the plug in the jug I will be the first to extend my hand otherwise don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hickdusty!!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Hickdusty,

I feel really bad that you are being ganged up on -- being a new member and all.

I just want to say that my advice to find a good attorney was to help you get your life under control whilst you get sober. I have never, ever, ever driven drunk or even with a small amount of alcohol. I find it utterly selfish and an abhorrent behavior. My mother was rear-ended on the 405 (in LA) during rush hour by a day-drunk driver. She was badly injured and had head injuries that resulted in debilitating migraines for over a decade. Her car flipped; not sideways, but from back to front. The woman got off scot-free even though the witnesses and the first responding officer stated that she reeked of alcohol. It still pisses me off to this day.

Okay -- so now that that is out of the way. I am really sorry that you are going through this. I am sure you have had a lot of time to think about how foolish and selfish you behaved. The one thing I don't understand about many individual cases of DUI legal consequences is that sometimes the punishment does not fit the crime. Losing your licence? Yes, that is appropriate. Jail time? I am not sure about that. How will that help you solve/improve your very urgent problem so that you never, ever do something like that again?

Whoever said that your behavior post-crash was classic alcoholic behavior is spot on. If I were you, I would nip that in the bud. If you get away without legal consequences (it sounds like you have experienced many natural consequences), you should make sure you never drive drunk again. Like most alcoholics, it will raise your level of what you find to be an acceptable risk and you might continue to drive drunk. I am an alcoholic and could guarantee you that if I did that even once, I would do it again.

You need to get an attorney, go to the doctor, take care of your daughter and stop drinking for good. If I were you, I would proactively install an ignition interlock device so that you are assured to never repeat the same mistake and also take meaningful action during your first sober steps.

I am sorry to hear that you lost your father. You are dealing with a lot right now, I am sure. Please take care of yourself and others.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, criticism is fine but lets keep the comments constructive please.

I did lots of things I regret in my life.
We're about support.

Dee
SR
Old 05-30-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just reread my last post. I think without my inflection it might sound harsh. I hope you know that you will find support here. If you did not want to quit, you wouldn't be here.

Best wishes throughout your journey, inside and out. I hope you will keep us informed and stay in touch.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sg1970 View Post
I lost my sister in an alcohol related accident so I'm pretty offended. Put on your big boy pants and take what you have coming. Get your crap together before you kill yourself or someone else and have something to really worry about. This is a recovery forum for recovery issues. Not a forum to figure out how to get out of a DWI. If you want help to put the plug in the jug I will be the first to extend my hand otherwise don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I'm very sorry about your sister but OUCH! Pretty harsh comment. :-(
Old 05-30-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Advice:

Drive before you drink.

Better advice:

Don't drink.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hickdusty View Post
I threw the vodka bottle with my keys. Maintained I wrecked sober then drank for pain, cause I'm an alcoholic and didn't wanna go to hospital sober.
It's pretty dangerous to lie to the police. The punishment for lying to the police if caught would likely be much worse than a first time dui offense.

You may get off. But what then? Untreated alcoholism will result in a further dui which may kill a baby or other person. Or it will result in you losing you job, your family, your home, your life. The next time you drink you may choke to death on your own vomit. Friends of mine have died that way.

You haven't lost everything. Yet.

It's dangerous to lie to yourself. Every successful treatment plan for alcoholism I've seen involves telling the truth. Eventually, you can't get around the fact you did this crime and the police have noticed that. If you get off by lying they will remember. Eventually if you make another mistake you'll get caught. And the judge you lied to will remember, too.

Everything happens for a reason. Perhaps the reason for this DUI is to give you the opportunity to get the help you need to save yourself. Perhaps by lying you are harming yourself.

But this doesn't mean you should not hire a good lawyer. If you are honest you will have to face the consequences of your actions, but the lawyers purpose is to get the best honest result you can, trying to get the help that is available in the system for someone like you because destroying your life isn't really a good option either.