Notices

Does it really have to be so hot?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it really have to be so hot?

What's the point of renting a large house with a huge yard, when myself and both of my dogs just huddle into my office with the air-con on?

Nice house, huge yard, and all 3 of us are in a tiny room most of the afternoon. Hrmmphhh...
Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I was born in Georgia in June. I was 5 years old before I knew what AC was. Heat does not bother me. I just sweat.

How hot are we talking here?
Old 05-29-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I must admit I live for winter, Troy - from now til September is pretty sweet down here in Oz.

D
Old 05-29-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love the heat. We have no air. I don't turn it on in my truck either. Sweating is healthy. 86 here today.

Jennifer
Old 05-29-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I like the heat but not the humidity
Old 05-29-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
How hot are we talking here?
The temp isn't too bad, only about 38 - 42C (100 - 107F). It's just there's been no rain lately again.

Had about a week of almost daily rain, and man, was that ever nice. Same temp, but felt 10C cooler. It's almost June, so rainy season should be starting basically right now.

When the fan begins feeling like it's blowing hot engine exhaust on you, instead of cooling you down, then you know it's too hot. Not to mention when my dogs would prefer to hang out in my office with the door closed versus being out in the yard.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, I see your point. I was complaining that it was going to be 82 until I heard the radio and people are dying by the hundreds because it's over 110 in India. I'll take the 82 and air conditioning.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand - I spend most of my summer in the AC as well.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pretty much the coolest ever

troy - here in texas, the rain has been devastating. everything is flooded. people are dead. it's a tragedy. but anyway, i love the cold but fall is ideal for me. mmm sweater weather and pumpkin soup...
Old 05-29-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm with dee lol I live for winter. It's only 26C here today and I hate it. Too warm for me. My friends all think I'm a weirdo lol
Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Are you people kidding me??

I live for summer!! Every winter I wonder what the hell I'm doing living in Canada where it deep freezes for half the year and is dark all the time!

You guys are crazy......
Old 05-29-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I live for summer!! Every winter I wonder what the hell I'm doing living in Canada where it deep freezes for half the year and is dark all the time!
You mean you don't like walking through 3 feet of snow to scrape the ice of your wind shield every morning, before starting your car 30 mins before you have to leave so it can warm up a bit? Or you don't like spending 10 mins getting geared up each time before you go outside to avoid frostbite? Crazy!

heh, talking on a global forum is pretty fun. Some people's version of "winter" doesn't even get below 0C. You're in Toronto though, so you full well what a winter is.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
You mean you don't like walking through 3 feet of snow to scrape the ice of your wind shield every morning, before starting your car 30 mins before you have to leave so it can warm up a bit? Or you don't like spending 10 mins getting geared up each time before you go outside to avoid frostbite? Crazy!

heh, talking on a global forum is pretty fun. Some people's version of "winter" doesn't even get below 0C. You're in Toronto though, so you full well what a winter is.

We just had the coldest February on record!! It was ridiculous.

Last week we had a frost warning! I had just planted my garden and I was worried all my flowers were going to die!

Whenever people complain about the heat I want to high five them in the face lol
Old 05-29-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Whenever people complain about the heat I want to high five them in the face lol
Like my mom always says though, you can always put more clothes on, but there's only so many you can take off.

But yeah, this heat in SE Asia can get to you after a while, especially when it doesn't let up for weeks or months at a time, because there's simply no escaping it. You get a little escape at times like right now, when it's middle of the night, but even right now at 6am it's still +31C.

Guess it could be worse though. I could be in India. Geez, over 1400 dead so far due to excessive heat.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

True. Your mom sounds like a wise woman
Old 05-29-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
I love the heat. We have no air. I don't turn it on in my truck either. Sweating is healthy. 86 here today.

Jennifer
^ I second this. We have air but I've never turned it on, in my house or my car. I LOVE the heat! My only problem with CA is there's no humidity, so it never feels hot enough for me haha
Old 05-29-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We have newfoundlands, so they love the ac and don't like the heat. I even have a kiddie swimming pool for them

I have to get used to the heat / humidity. Today, the humidity came on strong and I just didn't feel like walking, but I'll adjust.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Last time I went on an extended tent camp fishing trip it was just 108F. 5 Days, no AC. Loved it.

I was born in June in a hot year in the Deep South. I didn't know what AC was until I was five and living farther south. I'm pretty sure a love of drinking water and sweating has saved my life a few times. Plus, I know an old British trick: drink hot beverages in hot weather. Makes you sweat more. Sweat = cooling.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I lived up on this hot in the summer mountain home for many years without AC and never really thought much about it. As I would lay on the couch in a bucket of sweat. Then a while back we got AC. Man on a hot day this is nice. We do cool down the whole house which is expensive, 3 to 4 hundred a month.

Today it already got to almost 90 degrees here.

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-29-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I must admit I live for winter, Troy - from now til September is pretty sweet down here in Oz.

D
You and me both Dee, I love the Aussy winter .