Notices

Pet Peeve

Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pet Peeve

I am young but have arthritis. It is hard for me to even click on a link. Please = name your threads appropriately. "Wow" and going on about a soap opera - don't make me click. Just label it the right way.

Also, I'm sick of "i drank" and I click and it was iced tea. That lost funny a way time ago.

Please don't waste my time.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

River65 did you read the whole "Wow" thread? Very touching if you ask me.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to the posting side of SoberRecovery! I think you might want to join our longest-running thread here:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5379059
Old 05-28-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with the "i drank" thing. Not a fan. When I scroll my pointer icon over a thread title it gives me the first couple lines of text, so I can pick and choose a little about which ones to click on. Works like that on both my computers, mac and pc.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Really?
Yes, I have terrible arthritis - I am just asking posters to label threads appropriately. I drank (click [- ice tea) makes me mad. "wow:" - you can do better. that's all.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums.

A huge part of my recovery involved taking life on life's terms. If you have trouble clicking, a forum is going to be difficult for you. Have you thought about face to face support?

Good luck with your request - are you here to stop drinking or for some other reason?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I lurk a lot. All I said was, as someone with arthritis, it would be helpful if posters named their threads more carefully. Posters just jumped on me. I'm done. Lurking and posting. I just made a simple request? Bye. It kinda seems like a clique here lately?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

River I agree with you on the "I drank -- Iced tea" thing. Kind of like "I got hammered ----- when I hit my thumb with a hammer". We are glad you are here.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

River, I'm sorry you are hurting so much.

Chronic pain is a very challenging way to live.

How can we help ?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are all kinds of people here River, and each one of them is different. Just like life, we have to take the good with the bad. One tip you might want to try...if you hover over the title of any thread with your mouse a preview of the first few lines of the post will pop up, and you don't have to click on the link to view the whole post.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I would have never guessed a post entitled "Pet Peeve" would be about inaccurately named threads. Aren't you glad I took the time to read?

Why not share what brings you to lurk on SR and how we might help you (beyond the thread naming thing).
Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum River!!
Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by River65 View Post
Yes, I have terrible arthritis - I am just asking posters to label threads appropriately. I drank (click [- ice tea) makes me mad. "wow:" - you can do better. that's all.
Then no offence, but maybe look into voice recognition software solutions that help you browse the internet.

Blaming others for not labelling their threads to your desire is a little ridiculous though.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey River

If you hover your pointer over the thread it should give you a little glimpse of what the person has wrote so you can check before clicking on it.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You can't expect how others label posts. I agree with you about the site being cliquey somewhat. But then again so is life.

I still had the same problems wether in or out, it was worse being in a clique and not being able to express myself honestly.

It never made me feel better to know that there is always someone worse off. That seems to work for most people though.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with both sides here. Just a few days ago someone titled their thread "I'm at a bar!" and then when I clicked on thread they said "...and I'm drinking ginger ale." I try to be patient tolerant but that one annoyed me a little. BUT I seriously have no room to judge!!! I think it just triggered me a little cause I was a bar drinker. So it was MY issue with ME not the poster.

On the other hand, I understand what others are saying about trying to "accept life on life's terms" and being patient and tolerant of others. God knows people on SR have been MORE than patient with me over this past year!

I'm sorry you have arthritis. I'm sure it's very painful. I hope you come back to SR. There are some really nice people here that can give you some good advice and support.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
You can't expect how others label posts. I agree with you about the site being cliquey somewhat. But then again so is life.

I still had the same problems wether in or out, it was worse being in a clique and not being able to express myself honestly.

It never made me feel better to know that there is always someone worse off. That seems to work for most people though.
I understand what you are saying, but I think sometimes it's the people in the clique that gets heard and others not so much. If you are part of the in-group, you can get away with a lot more. I see it here and at AA meeting all the time. If I posted some of the stuff on this site that I've read, I'm sure it would be removed. The Serenity Prayer helps with this. John
Old 05-28-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you can get an IPad you will never have to click again. All touchscreen. They are pricey but it's possible to get an older model fairly reasonably.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by River65 View Post
I am young but have arthritis. It is hard for me to even click on a link. Please = name your threads appropriately. "Wow" and going on about a soap opera - don't make me click. Just label it the right way.

Also, I'm sick of "i drank" and I click and it was iced tea. That lost funny a way time ago.

Please don't waste my time.
Hi River

I have arthritis and cerebral palsy to boot.

It's not easy for me either some days so I understand the pain and the irritation....

but I try to remember that everyone here is here for a reason...sometimes the reason may not always be apparent, but it's there

If you're in the forum view (Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information) you can hover your mouse over thread titles and you should get a little preview of the initial post

D