Notices

Recovery Methods?

Old 08-25-2004, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Methods?

Hi everyone- I just had a question for anyone that can help:

I saw some postings made referring to a place on this site that lists recovery methods? I'm trying to find methods that work for me to talk myself out of taking that first drink, i'm 3 days into sobriety and now that withdrawal symptoms are significantly decreased, its getting harder and harder to remember why I don't just have a drink. Isn't it funny how once the physical pain is over and you feel good, its so easy to rationalize valid reasons for the next drink?

I'm serious about staying sober this time, I cannot let myself fall into a scary drinking cycle again, and If I'm like this at day 3, i'm scared of what I'll think to rationalize to myself that its ok to drink at week 2, 3, etc. I remember that the last time I slipped, its b/c I felt so good taht I had a drink to celebrate..........the first few times I drank was fine, but soon enough I was getting beyond wasted again.

Anyway sorry to keep posting randomly, I'm just trying to get through this next hour. =(
Old 08-25-2004, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by sickk&tired
\

Anyway sorry to keep posting randomly, I'm just trying to get through this next hour. =(
I'll sit with ya!
Here's a link to alternatives...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/1...ernatives.html
I know you've been here for a bit, but I don't think I've said hello yet.
So Hello, and welcome.
Glad you're here
There's also the AA Forum, for another method.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks DangerousDan

Thanks for the guidance . I was sitting here trying to figure out where that was so I could read through it, and the longer I couldn't find it the more frustrated I got. I think I'm experiencing one of those mood swings where I'm easily annoyed. Currently my co-worker is baby-talking into the phone and I'm about ready to throw my stapler at her hear .

If you have time, could you read my last post on "Help Please" and offer some advice about my upcoming weekend trip? Just whenever you can, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey S&T....

SOOOOO glad your still kicking around here... and sober yet. ;o)

I so hear you about forgetting why I decided to stop abusing something in the first place. That's why I come here as often as I can and I attend meetings in my physical life as well. I need to hear continually where I could end up.

I also see people from all walks of life... and that reminds me as well that just cause my life is working at the moment... that don't mean that it's gonna stay that way if I stop reminding myself that I am a pleasure seeker.. and I have the greatest ability to lie to myself about what constitutes pleasure.

So.. again.. glad your still here.
You sound like you know what's cookin around the booze... ;o)
Old 08-25-2004, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

to: bikewench

Thank you, its nice to know you're rooting for me =). I'm making myself go to the gym after work to stay busy. Its when I'm alone and bored that I start rationalizing. This disease is sneaky.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

If you have time, could you read my last post on "Help Please" and offer some advice about my upcoming weekend trip? Just whenever you can, I would greatly appreciate it.
It was important for me, at the very beginning, to not expose myself in situations where I might be tempted. That's how it was for me. I read your post, like you asked me, and all I can say really is stick to your plan. And most importantly, have a plan in case something comes up. You can absolutely do this. And it sounds like you have some people around you willing to support you.
Be prepared for temptation.
Bring chocolate, a book, whatever works to keep your mind of alcohol.
Try and focus on specific amounts of time, if thoughts start creeping in.
I can absolutely not drink for the next three hours, for example.
All the best for you. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, sick&tired!
Here's a link I post periodically which compares several of them:
http://www.rrci.net/recovery_spectrum.htm

I personally consider baby talk to be a perfectly acceptable reason for violence.
Don S
Old 08-25-2004, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Some slogans that helped me...
"I CAN stand this!"
"There will be no alcohol in my house or in my body!"
"There is nothing in my life that alcohol makes better!"
"Don't think poisonous thoughts!"
"This too shall pass..."
Don S
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Frayed nerves can be helped with herbal teas--chamomile or valerian root (blugh! tastes like swamp water! But it does relax you).
Blood sugar can be evened out with cranberry juice and light snacks.
Seltzer water added to the cranberry makes it more satisfying.
A stroll through the local bookstore on the way home can help you find something to do with your evening.
A little fancy ice cream can be a nice reward for today's sobriety....
Don S
Old 08-25-2004, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Sounds like a great idea going to the gym after work. Exercise is a great way to burn time and stress. May I suggest some time with the punching bag after listening to your coworkers baby talk. That's hard to handle on a good day. You showed great restraint in not throwing the stapler. Good luck on day 3. You've come to a wonderful site for support. Have a great workout, I'm sure you'll feel much better afterwards. Keep us posted on your progress and hope to talk to you on day 4.

Talia
Old 08-25-2004, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

THank you all so much again. I can't stop saying that enough.

Don, you made me laugh for the first time in 3 days, thank you. Co-worker has stopped the baby talk, and has moved on to obnoxiously loud chewing. I've removed heavy office supplies from within my reach.

As far as your slogans, they are awesome! And so true. I know that getting through that hour, or 2 hours, etc, are hard, but I also know how good it feels to come out the other side, sober.

DangerousDan, thank you for the support. You're right, I can do this. ANd its amazing what the power of a complete stranger's faith in you can do =).
Old 08-25-2004, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

its amazing what the power of a complete stranger's faith in you can do
That, and faith in yourself and your immeasurable spirit, as a good friend I met here would say.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks talia. going to kickboxing for sure tonight, then logging on again.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi S & T,

Aren't the people on the site the greatest!!

You sound strong and determined and I'm sure you'll get through the weekend.

Love, Anna
Old 08-25-2004, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi S&T
Your doing great and I am so happy that you are here.
Thanks for helping me to smile today.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Sick&Tired, I found vitimin B complex supliments worked like magic for me. I also HAD to have a wine glass in my hand to stop myself going crazy. I keep blackcurrent or cranberry juice in a wine bottle in the fridge, and I had that for me while I poured real stuff out for the wife. I cried like a baby once or twice because my bottle didn't have a propper cork in.
Glad you're hanging in well there. Keeping a note of days going by and how you feel is useful too. I started counting days of course, but after a while I would forgot to count, and there was a real panic until I could find a calendar.
Keep busy, keep well fed and watered, and avoid unnecessary stress.

You're doing good.

All the best. Deg.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi S & T,
You're doing great! Hang tough and take it one step at a time.
Sandy
Old 08-25-2004, 08:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks all!

I went to the gym, proceeded to eat about a pound of chocolate, and then picked a stupid fight with my b/f. Sigh. But I'm still sober, so thats good.

Can someone shed light on the emotional rollercoaster that goes on within the first few days?

Anyway, thank you all so much and you can be sure I'll be lurking on this site forEVER. Oh wait, one day at a time..........
Old 08-25-2004, 09:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

It takes a while to get back on track. Think about what the alcohol has done to your poor body. The adjustment takes several days. You could be feeling pretty good tomorrow or this weekend. What your feeling is very normal, keep up the kickboxing, it's sure to help. It's well worth the fight. Each sober day, you'll feel better and better and the sanity will return. At least your b/f hopes so.....take care. LOL

Talia
Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Talia- thank you. You're so right. My b/f currently doesn't want me near any sharp objects right now. At least thats what he would tell me if he wasn't mad at me for snapping his head off earlier tonight. oops.