Notices

I need a new bad habit. I'm thinking about vaping.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Btw, congrats on 20 days sober!!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have a friend that started vaping to loose weight . She is now addicted to both cigarettes and vaping and has gained 12 pounds.
There are healthier ways to loose weight,
I understood the urge for "healthier " impulsive addictions tho
Old 05-27-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cissy, congrats on 20 days sober!!!

I've got to put in another vote for not starting the whole vaping thing if you aren't trying to ween your self off of smoking.

I also had a terrible nicotine addiction a few years back; was smoking a pack a day while on the patch, while chewing tobacco. I for one am not going back to nicotine, now that I've quit.

I know that weight is a huge motivating factor for many of us; myself included. Like other's have said, try to get addicted to a new routine. A healthy routine; eating better and exercise. Trust me, once you start a little at a time, slowly and build yourself up, you will want to keep going.

Give your self a chance, though. There's no instant gratification for this one. For me at least, it takes about 2 weeks for my metabolism to kick in before I see any changes; doesn't matter what regimen I start.

You can do this.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days sober Cissy!!

I'm in the no to vaping camp myself. Once you start, you're just going to have to "try to quit" again. Why go through that?

You're not alone in gaining weight in the first few days of being sober. Its been discussed here a lot, and I'm in that camp too. For me, since I wasn't actively doing something like reaching for a glass, I was eating. What did help for me was some frozen fruit...frozen blueberries to be exact. And now that summer is approaching I'm sure you can find some really fresh one. Just freeze them separately and then you can munch on them when you're feeling the need the do something with your hands.

Of course, everyone else's suggestions of a nice long walk is always great too. Not just for weight loss, but getting outside of your own head for a bit.

Good luck! Keep going!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I must say (and have in our" sober vapers "thread) that I'm also kind of addicted to defiling my lungs--having them full of something besides air after smoking 40 yrs. Self harm still. I'm liking the flavors now more than the nic. You don't need this habit if you are not a heavy smoker. . . and maybe not even then.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm with the crowd for not doing it. I quit cigarettes and switched to vaping in 2010 when I got sober.

For me, it probably saved my life since I was rounding out four decades of smoking, and for the last few years it was two packs a day.

The jury is still out on e-cig safety, but for me, my chronic bronchitis went away. I read quite a bit about the safety of e-cigs, and I'm convinced they are not safe, just 1,000 times better than smoking tobacco.

But the clincher is I'ma recovering alcoholic and benzo addict, and I'm hopelessly addicted to vaping.

If you're totally out of the grasp of nicotine, I vote not to start again.

Vaping is cheaper than tobacco for me. At two packs a day of American Spirits I was spending more than $250 bucks a month on cigs. Vaping costs be about $75 a month.

But I am still a slave to nicotine.

Don't start!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. That's what I needed. Sound, rational advice to "talk me down." I agree that the pig outs are "sin" (like I said I couldn't imagine being sin-free) but I wanted to trade that sin for a less harmful one that might give me the same "fix."

I'm also in the process of preparing my duplex to be inspected when I announce at the end of this week to my landlady that I'm moving in a month. I'm under some stress and so the hand to mouth thing has really ramped up the past few weeks. Can only imagine how I'd be feeling each morning if I were "coming to" after a night of binge drinking.

I will stay away from e-cigs. Frankly, with my history of smoking weed, it might trigger that old pipe and paraphernalia thing and down the wrong road I'd go. It's a bad idea and I guess I knew that already but I'm just grasping. Like I said, thanks for responding and encouraging me.

I found that pdf for "The Power of Habit" and I bookmarked it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get it together. I promise.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

If you are not a smoker, I think it is very unwise to set out to develop another bad habit, especially when getting sober.

Why not download an app, like fitness pal or many others to track your eating habits.

Going for walks would be more inexpensive, healthier and a certainly a more positive habit than starting to use e- cigs.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Oh, just read your previous response. Glad to hear. I 100%%%%% agree it could trigger the whole paraphernalia thing.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am not an expert on vaping. I have not tried vaping but too have been curious about it. Thought of it due to my bad eating habits, I'm a diabetic and for my nerves. I think it'll give me something to do with my hands and may help my nerves when I feel like loosing it. I know recovering addicts that vape instead of smoking any more and they use the non nicotine kind. Vaping id huge in my area in recovery half the smokers have switched plus some started after getting clean,
Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Jolly Ranchers and Life Saver Wint-O-Green both come sugarless. Just sayin'

I took up vaping to quit smoking. Worked great. Now I'm tapering down on the nicotine. I don't think I'd pick it up out of boredom or over eating. There have been days when I couldn't clear my throat so the fluids problem is definitely there.