Notices

So here I am again

Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here I am again

Hi all

Well after another weekend where not only did my drinking lead to being falling over drunk and a 7hr black out but also a coke binge as well. I always find it very difficult to remain sober, I don't drink everyday but I do have a binging problem, I just don't seem to be equipped with the know your limit switch. As a result of this I con myself into thinking I'll be ok with a few, sometimes I am, most of the time I'm not. Are there any other bingers who have beaten there demons, I don't want this to be my life anymore
Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was an all day every day drinker. I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, and that was when I stopped drinking for good.

You can too.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I was a binger and as you said it is easier to abstain then try and guess if this will be one of the times I can control my off switch. Recovery is possible and it can also be a blast, best of luck !
Old 05-26-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just find it so hard to keep telling myself I'm ok when I'm not, I know I'm teetering on the edge but it's like I have a huge self destruct button and I just love to hit it with a hammer
Old 05-26-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Greens
Old 05-26-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So greens how did you tackle just stopping if you don't mind me asking
Old 05-26-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi NTS23,

Welcome to SR, I too had a bad start to the Bank holiday weekend with a massive binge.
For me the only way to stop is not to start.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I've stopped on and off for years but I always end up full circle with it being a problem, my only solution is abstinence
Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am only on day 8, so by no means an expert, but I have tried to stop before, and kept finding myself slowly increasing the amount again. I realized the moderating wasn't working, so I made an appointment with the addiction medicine office through my insurance, I am working with a doctor on my anxiety, using SR, and a few close friends. I won't saybit is easy, I just really want it this time, and having a plan in place whatever that may be helps.
Glad you are here.:-)
Old 05-26-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Delilah, going to ring the recovery counsellors in my area tomorrow I need to give myself the best chance of winning
Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Needtostop. Great to have you join us. You're with those who understand!

I was a binge drinker once too. When it was in my system I had no control, but it took me decades to admit that. Eventually the binging led to 24/7 drinking - my life was chaos. The only way for me to stay safe was to stop all together. Dangerous and embarrassing things happened every time I took a sip. It's wonderful to be free.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For a binge drinker to pick up a drink is like driving a car with no brakes. You might make it a few blocks, but you know that it will not end well. Good luck. John
Old 05-26-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needtostop23 View Post
So greens how did you tackle just stopping if you don't mind me asking
geez I hate tablets I just typed up a whole Thang and it got erased forever, I shall try to rewrite as much of it as possible....

I was facing major health and other consequences from my drinking and I realized the "benefits" I was getting no longer outweighed the risks I was taking. I actually went from drinking excessively bc of my fear of life to being too afraid of taking that first drink if that makes sense. I was VERY done.
I entered counseling and changed up a lot of lifestyle habits - it wasnt just putting down the drink .
I know it sounds too simple to merely say I just quit- and it wasn't like that. It was terrifying , I had no life skills and also am dual diagnose so have other issues than substance abuse . It took a lot of trial and error.
I attended 12 step meetings early on and worked a solid program and that helped in a lot of ways but I do not think it is the best place for dual diagnosed people and beleive I gained morr out of the fellowship and face to face contact then I did from the steps so I switched to smart recovery which was much more helpful for my dual diagnosis and rreally got to the heart of my addiction issues .
there are a lot of resource out there for alcoholics and addicts today and all of us on this forum are a wide example. And I think yiu will see we all have similarities and differences in our recovery.
I would look around this forum and take what you like and see what resonates with yiu and remember not to throw in the towel after minor setbacks.
best of luck and I hope to hear updates fro m your journey!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To be honest not having the first drink was the only way to not get drunk, not blackout and not have regrets.

For me drinking and happened became unpredictable.
Sometimes I could drink 2 glasses of wine and be fine. But 3 and my memory was sketchy. I could drink a whole bottle of wine and I would be okay. But 4 shots and I could black out.

I just never knew what would happen.
Would it take 3 drinks or 4? Vodka or wine? Beer or whisky?

I finally got it that it didn't 't matter how many or what type od drink it was, it was just having that 1st drink and then I couldn't stop there. It would be just 1 more, just another and I will stop at 3.

After that first drink, for me 9 times out of ten, it was game over.

You never have to feel like this again if you do not want to.
All you have to do is not pick up that first drink.

I wish you the best xx
Old 05-26-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I was an all day every day drinker. I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, and that was when I stopped drinking for good.

You can too.
This is exactly it! You have to want it more than the drink
Old 05-26-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was a binger and I've been sober now for just over two years. I'd finally had enough and wanted a better life. I first tried sobriety ten years prior to my actual quit date. It took that long for me to decide that I could no longer entertain any idea of drinking ever again if I wanted to pursue my goals and accomplish them.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here need

D
Old 05-28-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, great to hear so many similar stories, I've got my 1st counsellor meeting 11th June and am determined to break the cycle I've got myself into between now and then. I've decided I'm going to look at other things I can do on a weekend instead of getting home Friday and reaching for a bottle ��
Old 05-28-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
For a binge drinker to pick up a drink is like driving a car with no brakes. You might make it a few blocks, but you know that it will not end well. Good luck. John
Your not kidding!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was also a binge drinker. I drank maybe 3-4 times a week. Once or twice would be fine and then hell would break lose. Usually leading to black out and some crazy events. Sometimes socially acceptable, sometimes not so much. It was really gettting out of control and I had a feeling that I had no idea what the hell was going on.

I'm off alcohol for 5 months (in 3 days). Sobriety is not easy but easier then picking up the pieces once a week and this constant uncertainty about what the **** is going to happen this time. Life is a lot more stable and there's moments when it's enjoyable. I'm still early in but I hope for the enjoyable bit to expand a tiny bit everyday.

You can have this peace of mind, too. All it takes is not taking that first drink.