Notices

Starting new life without alchohol

Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day five!

Good idea to lose the booze from your house. I wouldn't give it away though. I'd just pour it down the drain. What if you give it to someone else who had been having thoughts of quitting drinking? You never know what's going on in other people's minds.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well today is day 6, I am starting to feel like not drinking is my new normal. I started jogging last night, well it was about 15 minutes jogging and 10 minutes walking as I didn't want to go into cardiac arrest
I cant believe how many years I have not exercised, eaten properly ETC just because I would rather be drinking. I now see that the booze was in full control and not me even though I thought I was a very strong and in control person. I have read many stories on this site and now I finally understand what people were talking about in regards to the power of alcohol.

Brian
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congrats on day six Brian.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good stuff Brian. We are indeed very similar. I still get some "tugs" in the evening but very manageable now. I'm finding a lot of pleasure in not having drinking in my daily routine. I've been working out regular now because I have no excuses anytime I'm awake. I used to be in excellent shape. Have some work to do but I'll get there by the end of summer.

Mornings are fantastic. Get up and go with no cobwebs to clear out. Probably the easiest thing to get used to.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

End of day 7 and doing just fine. Had a great day with my son and have been jogging everyday for the last 3 days, legs are very sore
One thing I noticed today was that after a big meal I would usually get very tired and need/want to lie down and maybe fall asleep, but today after a large meal I still had lots of energy which was quite a nice surprise. I am really enjoying the alcohol free benefits.

Brian
Old 05-30-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats on day seven Brian. Looking good.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well done on day 5.
Day 2 here & yesterday I threw out the beer from my fridge too, & filled the space with some fresh fruit.
If you've decided 100% to end your relationship with the booze then get it out the house it's not welcome - look how it's treated you - it's time for it to leave!
Old 05-31-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 8 and moving along great. Got rid of the beer in my fridge finally yesterday.

Brian
Old 05-31-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you QFS

D
Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing really well! I am on day 13, two weeks in a few hours. I dumped my wine the morning I started because I didn't trust myself. We still have an entire wine rack of red for visitors, and my husband, good think I was a white wine girl. Looks like we are doing it this time!
Keep up the great work!!!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Sounds like you are doing really well! I am on day 13, two weeks in a few hours. I dumped my wine the morning I started because I didn't trust myself. We still have an entire wine rack of red for visitors, and my husband, good think I was a white wine girl. Looks like we are doing it this time!
Keep up the great work!!!
Yes we are doing it this time for sure. Well to be honest this is my first time giving up the booze and even though it was not that hard for me I do get the AV popping into my head from time to time. I love how much better I feel. Keep up the good work.

Brian
Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by QuitForSon View Post
Yes we are doing it this time for sure. Well to be honest this is my first time giving up the booze and even though it was not that hard for me I do get the AV popping into my head from time to time. I love how much better I feel. Keep up the good work. Brian
Congrats on day eight Brian. Looks like you have things under control there.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 9 already, seems like only yesterday that I made my decision to stop the beer train. Feeling very good overall. I noticed another thing about myself this weekend in that I don't have a cough in the morning anymore. Even though I quit smoking 15 months ago, I started (last few months) getting a cough in the morning shortly after waking up that would last for about 5 minutes or so. has anyone else experienced this behavior? I am sure it was because of the alcohol but I just curious if it has happened to others.

Brian
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Brian, reflux makes me cough in the morning sometimes. More often than not I never knew I had reflux while I slept. I figured it out because it happen mostly after the "bad meals" and beer or evenings when I had to take an antacid. I haven't had to take a single antacid in 2 weeks. Partly because of no drinking and partly because my diet has been really good. Trying to drop 20 pounds. I maxed out @ 228lbs which isn't terrible for 6"2 but my optimal weight is definitely not 228. lol
Old 06-02-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MisterChill View Post
Brian, reflux makes me cough in the morning sometimes. More often than not I never knew I had reflux while I slept. I figured it out because it happen mostly after the "bad meals" and beer or evenings when I had to take an antacid. I haven't had to take a single antacid in 2 weeks. Partly because of no drinking and partly because my diet has been really good. Trying to drop 20 pounds. I maxed out @ 228lbs which isn't terrible for 6"2 but my optimal weight is definitely not 228. lol
Hi MisterChill,

Funny you mention the antacids, I haven't needed one in about 8 days and today is day 10 without beer. I am also around your height (6' 3") but I managed to hit 240 so I need to lose 20 - 30 preferably 30
I have started jogging and along with eating better and no beer I would imagine the weight will come off rather quickly.

Brian
Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 10, made it to the double digits. Feeling great all around and enjoying life without alcohol. Jogging is coming along very good, I just started last Thursday and last night was my 4th time out and I could not believe that I did 7KM in 51 and a half minutes. I did walk for a total of about 5-6 minutes but that is to be expected. My knees and shins are a bit sore today though, I think I am going at it a bit hard considering I haven't really exercised in a good 20 years

Brian
Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Congrats on day ten Brian. Have you considered going to a running shop to get proper running shoes?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
Congrats on day ten Brian. Have you considered going to a running shop to get proper running shoes?
Hi ZaBoozer,

Actually I did buy some Nike running shoes on Sunday as the air walks I was running in were not very comfortable and actually hurting my feet. The new Nike's are great it feels like I am running on air, I guess that's why there called Nike airs

Brian
Old 06-02-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Brian, I've lost 9 pounds already. Down to 219 and only had to work modestly to get there. Those were the easy pounds though. The next 10 will require a good bit of work.

I have 3 lumbar discs that are in moderate degeneration (sports and my ski bum decade have caught up to me and it sucks). I can't run or I'm asking for it. I've been doing stairs at the local school. There's an outdoor staircase up a hill that is 54 steps. I do 5 up and downs and my heart is pounding.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well done on day ten! Congratulations! You sound great. I'm not a runner but you've made great progress.

Do you have plans in addition to the running regimen for sobriety? I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but a while ago I recall a member who relied on running alone to stay sober, with some posting for support. Well, that person got injured and couldn't run and then relapsed. Just something to consider for the future.

Keep going!