Notices

Weasel's stay sober on vacation thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am loving this thread, Weasel! Thank you so much!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I propose your Nickname this week be 'Son Of Beach'.

Off the West Coast of Scotland...

Old 05-26-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I really loved how you trod your old stomping grounds sober, and how you concluded that to drink now just doesn't make any sense
Old 05-26-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Reading about your day at some of your old haunts kinda choked me up. Thanks for sharing such intimate thoughts and memories with us.
Xoxo
Old 05-27-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning Sober Vacation Day 2! What have you in store for me?

I promised myself I would get a 30K step day. I wear a FitBit step tracker that has been a main motivation in losing weight and staying active. Living sober is one thing. Actually taking care of myself is another. I am learning.

So I have got to 27 K twice before. To put it in perspective 30K for me is about 15 miles.

I am off to do a sunrise walk around three connecting trails. Portland and the surrounding area are intertwined with may walking trails. Should be 8 miles all together. We shall see.

Maine Trail Finder is a great resource. Walking three this morning. I will let you know which when I return.

Remember to smile today.

K
Old 05-27-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good morning, Weasel! I just got caught up...what an amazing start to your vacation. Wishing you another day of health and happiness in sobriety. It's truly priceless.
(And thanks for the step motivation! 30,000?! Phew!)
Old 05-27-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you for the smile this morning Weas. Your post and Conquest's smiley face always do the trick. I wish you success on your walk
Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I hope you have a fantastic day!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Staying sober does not mean better health in an of itself. I used to have to take in a big breath to bend over and tie my shoes. I live on the third floor where I would get tired before I got to my door. I was afraid to do any snow shoveling after a binge night. Afraid I would keel over right there on the spot.

For me fitness is a side effect from wanting to try and live again.

I will tell you that climbing out of the pit of depression. Shaking off the morning anxiety routine. Looking coworkers in the eye when I get back to work because I don't have to fear they can see through me and directly at the shame that once sat just behind my eyes. Well... You get the idea...

So I did the eastern prom, back cove and bayside trails since they intersect at one point. One trail ends the other two begin and one is a big circle so I arrive at the starting point to the next. Part city walk, part water walk, part park like setting. Always fun to start when everything is still and quiet only to arrive at my car surrounded by people with a sense of purpose to their walk. Not this guy! I have no particular place to be.

Oh BTW... I am at almost 14,000 steps so far. I don't just want to hit my goal. I want to balance it between purpose and exploration. That brings me to what to do next. I was considering a trip north to Camden for lunch. And a little picture taking. Or down to Ogunquit beach for a little socializing with my flock. They tend to congregate down there.

Looks like the weather made the choice for me. Another stunner beach day. It will be Ogunquit then. Sunny and 80. Cloudy and thundershowers tomorrow. Still good enough to head north then.

Now the last time I was down that way I was not alone. Never been there alone. My sense of direction is sparse and highly inaccurate. This should be fun. If I get lost I can just ask the guy in the Kiss Me Quick hat!

K

Portland is a big art town. There is a spot along the trail that the artist spray paint and its fun to see the new works as I go by over the course of the summer.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Kicking Olive's rear end there. Olive needs a vacation.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Kicking Olive's rear end there. Olive needs a vacation.
Yes. And, yes.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I love Maine. I spent summers in high school building docks in Maine. I met some of the most interesting unique people in ME. Oh, yeah, and it's gorgeous this time of year. Just don't run into a moose (scary story here).
Old 05-27-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your vacation with us. ((((HUGSSSS))))) I've always said that one place I am visiting is Maine. I never hear bad things about it and something about being in a big cable knit sweater, sitting outside with a mug of coffee, staring out over the water seems like heaven to me. Your pictures confirm that I am right.

30K steps? That is amazing. I did like what you said about getting sober is one part of being healthy. There are steps to take from there. I couldn't agree more and do find that exercise and eating healthy really keep me in a good place, mind wise.

Have a beautiful day.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Moose is tasty. My former mother in law hit one that darted across the road. They always seem to just dart across. Anyway, it had to be put down and it was butchered.

I'll be following your adventures today, Weas, as I sit here at work. Day dreaming. What's on the menu for today?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Weasel, meet Moose...

This Thread deserves 1st Prize for inspirational Sobriety Adventure!

In other News, Victory appears to be mine! By rigorously applying 'Deduction 101', The mystery Basement smell appears to have been some minute Mice that met their Mouse Maker under the back of the Freezer. I moved it to Vacuum. Smell started. BUT, not your average Mouse smell. More like burning Rubber [like a slipping Fan Belt], or burning Insulation. Initially perplexing.

As I sprayed down this area with Enzyme-based Odor Remover that works miracles on Pet smells, these 4 lil areas of 'something' started to rise slightly. Blown-In Insulation? Nope. Shredded Paper? Nope. Mouse Hair, or so far as I can tell. No Bones left. No other detritus. The dead giveaway? A lime green oval that was a single piece of 'd-CON' Mouse Poison set out behind the Water Heater some years ago.

SOOOOO, with this Enzyme-based Solution working magic, all is well again in Basement-Ville. One last Soap & Water scrub of this area, and Western Civilization is safe again.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I am loving this thread. Thanks so much Weasel.

But I have a very VERY serious question for you or anyone else... I don't get the "ketchup on hotdog" comment. Doesn't everyone put ketchup on a hotdog??? How else would you eat a hotdog except with ketchup on one side, mustard on the other, and onions and relish on top? I just don't understand...
Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Ruby... Have you ever seen a moose up close? Dart? Not sure I would describe them moving like that. Lol

Thanks MM!

Lola.... I agree. But there are some areas of the country that put their noses up at ketchup on hot dogs. So I was just ribbing them. I must have ketchup on my dogs.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Ruby... Have you ever seen a moose up close? Dart? Not sure I would describe them moving like that. Lol Thanks MM! Lola.... I agree. But there are some areas of the country that put their noses up at ketchup on hot dogs. So I was just ribbing them. I must have ketchup on my dogs.
Weasel, we use ketchup on hotdogs here in SA. It would be sacrilege not to. Enjoy the holiday.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Lola.... I agree. But there are some areas of the country that put their noses up at ketchup on hot dogs. So I was just ribbing them. I must have ketchup on my dogs.
Hmm...and what areas of the country are those? I'll be sure to avoid them. j/k
Old 05-27-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Well I decided to forgo the beach today. I wanted to be more hands on and do a little shopping or browsing. So I headed to Kennebunkport to stroll the many shops along the main part of town.

And yes I snapped a pic of the bush estate. Not sure if ole bushy was home but the flag was flying so he could have been.

Had lunch at the crab shack. Haddock. Was tasty but really? It was rediculosly overpriced. I shall not complain as I am a tourist for the day.

I did have a craving and hit a bar!!!! The EVOO and balsamic vinegar bar! I picked up some oregano white balsamic and lemon infused oil. The combo will go good on that chicken I passed on yesterday.

I did hit the toy store and picked up kite string. I think a ride out to the lighthouse to fly that puppy will be a nice way to fill the remainder of the afternoon.

Thanks for being with me. I had some real moments today. Mostly just doing things alone is tough. But sometimes forcing yourself... Even when all you want to do is hide is the only way through sometimes. Trying not to be lonely just cuz I am alone. And what am I saying... That's why you all are here!

K