Notices

New w/ AA Questions

Old 08-25-2004, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New w/ AA Questions

Hi -- I'm somwhat new. I don't want to get into a lot of history, but I do have a couple of questions. When I was 22 I started AA in Baton Rouge -- maybe lasted a month, but REALLY, REALLY enjoyed it. I'm now 28 and trying again in a new city. My first meeting was two nights ago and once I was there I realized it was an Al-Anon meeting and I really didn't feel comfortable. Nobody really talked to me but I think it was because they didn't know my deal -- Alocholic or Al-Anon, ya know? I really only feel comfortable at this point with Open meetings, but I"m not sure how to tell if it will be another Al-Anon meeting or are all Open meeting Al-Anon meetings? I like closed discussions, I just hate going around in a circle and doing the "Hi, I'm Anya and I'm an alcoholic" thing. I'm probably just tripping, but what's the best way to pick a meeting?? Open discussion, closed discussion or what?

My first experience 6 years ago was so different, everybody introduced themselves and told me if I had any questions to let them know. There was a lot of laughter and I immediately felt comfortable. I kind of want that feeling again, but don't know how to find it.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi anya, and welcome to SoberRecovery!
So, if I understand right, you're an alcoholic, and you went to an Al-Anon meeting by mistake? Must have made for an interesting situation indeed!
Alcoholics Anonymous Atlanta.
You'll find a meeting list here and perhaps a phone number you could call and ask about your concerns.
Glad you're here
Old 08-25-2004, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

pretty much exactly what happened. I was all, this is cool because everyone here knows EXACTLY what I'm going through --- that was until they welcomed everyone to the Al-Anon meeting. Suddenly the room got a lot smaller

I actually found the meeting on the website you sent me -- it didn't say Al-Anon, just OS (open speaker) ?

I guess it's hit and miss, huh?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((((((((Anya )))))))))
A great reminder of my first impression of Alcoholics Anonymous. Laughter was something that took me a while to get used to after drinking myself to a near death experience.

Care to meet up in the SR Chatroom? I will stick around a bit before heading off to a face to face meeting. Welcome to SR please check out the Alcoholics Anonymous threads and I look forward to better getting to know you soon.

Three Legs
:tri
Old 08-25-2004, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by anya
I guess it's hit and miss, huh?
Depends. All the meetings you'll find in that meeting locator are AA meetings. Formats will vary I guess. I'd call the office and talk to someone. Maybe ask for a suggestion as to which meetings would be best suited for what you're looking for.
Must be a decent choice in a city the size of Atlanta?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sam082602

hello, Anya!! Please, keep checking out SR and I will pray for you to find a good AA meeting that is just for you in your area...please, keep trying cuz' I am sure that it won't take long to find as long as you continue to pray and to try!! Love ya!!
Love, Samantha