SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Ugh (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/368108-ugh.html)

hugsandcupcakes 05-25-2015 06:51 PM

Ugh

Hey everybody... Being so hard on myself because of past mistakes and stupid things I did and said. Feeling so embarrassed and hating myself. It was a while ago but the anxiety and let down surrounding it is really bothering me. I have been really stressed out lately which may be making my anxiety worse and making these things seem a bigger deal than they are. Ugh

ScottFromWI 05-25-2015 06:59 PM

Focus on now if you can, and what you can do to make today a good day. We've all done thing we regret, but they are done and gone...unchangeable.

As you get more sober time under your belt people notice...and you can change people's perception of you by keeping true to your goals.

doggonecarl 05-25-2015 07:00 PM

There is a lot of pain and shame in dredging up the past. Best thing for dealing with the past is not repeating the mistakes and stupid things and staying on the path of sobriety goes a long way in insuring that.

Debbie329 05-25-2015 07:00 PM

It sounds to me like your very aware / mindful of what's going on......how about doing something to distract yourself.....or getting some exercise , going to the movies......I try to remember to spoil myself when I'm not feeling myself.

Dee74 05-25-2015 07:06 PM

I know it's hard not to obsess about stuff hugs...but none of us can change a second of our past.

We can do a lot with each new day tho - I like to do that - kinda like a living amends? :)

D

TroyW 05-25-2015 07:08 PM

Meditate. It'll help put yourself in the moment, or the "now", helping clear your mind of all the junk that's hurting you.

Delilah1 05-25-2015 10:15 PM

"The best present you could ever give yourself is to let go of the past, and not worry about the future.
-Mark Amend

HeadLump 05-26-2015 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Delilah1 (Post 5390288)
"The best present you could ever give yourself is to let go of the past, and not worry about the future.
-Mark Amend

I love this ^^^^ :)

One of the most unexpected gifts of sobriety for me was an increased compassion towards other people - and to myself. I can't change the things I've done, but I can change my life from now on and make sure I don't ever repeat them. Staying sober has proved to others - and, importantly, to myself - that I'm no longer the person I was.

You're bound to be your harshest critic, Hugs, but shine some kindness on yourself and give yourself permission to move forward. There's a new way of living out there :hug:

ACT10Npack 05-26-2015 12:23 AM

I can understand what you are going through about the stupid things I did from the pass when drunk. After a while you will not think about it. Focus on the now.

EndGameNYC 05-26-2015 02:47 AM

As extreme our behaviors often are while we're drinking, our conscience also experiences a kind of rebound effect in that we're appalled at the things we did after we put down the drink. Guilt cries out for punishment, and people who actually have a conscience put ourselves through the ringer once we've put down the drink.

What you've described need not be a permanent condition, and subsides after we've worked through who and what we become and what we did while we were drinking. As Carl suggested, if we can learn from our struggles, then we have a good chance to both move on from them, and then not repeat them.

ishallnotwant 05-26-2015 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC (Post 5390418)
As extreme our behaviors often are while we're drinking, our conscience also experiences a kind of rebound effect in that we're appalled at the things we did after we put down the drink. Guilt cries out for punishment, and people who actually have a conscience put ourselves through the ringer once we've put down the drink. What you've described need not be a permanent condition, and subsides after we've worked through who and what we become and what we did while we were drinking. As Carl suggested, if we can learn from our struggles, then we have a good chance to both move on from them, and then not repeat them.

Thank you for this, endgame!