Notices

Finally serious about quitting (i think)

Old 05-25-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I joined this site last June 2014 and had a couple of posts as I was thinking about giving up booze but that never happened. My problem is that I am one of those so called functioning alcoholics. During the week days I only drink after work about 5-8 beers usually averaging around 6-7 then on the weekends of course I drink much more staring at 11:00 or 12:00 in the morning. I never get fall down drunk and my friends and young 9 year old son never know I am quite buzzed. I don't really hide the drinking because nobody says anything to me because I always seem normal to them. Anyways I know I have a problem as I have started to want to rush home from my sons sports so I can drink and I have started to think about beer at work, telling myself how great it will be to get home and drink a bunch of beers.

I have been drinking daily for easily 20+ years the way I mentioned above and I can only wonder how not drinking will make me feel. I am quite scared of quitting as I have a fear of what will I do instead of drinking, I guess that is the addiction part. I am as wondering if quitting will help get rid of some mild depression/anxiety that I have been feeling lately.

This is only day 2 for me but I am going to give it my best effort.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on making the change
Old 05-25-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life!

Originally Posted by QuitForSon View Post
I am as wondering if quitting will help get rid of some mild depression/anxiety that I have been feeling lately.
It did for me. Took about 80-90 days, but it went away entirely. Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you found your way back to us, QuitForSon. Hope you post here often. Sobriety is a great way of life.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you decided to get sober. It took me a few months too, but my depression and anxiety got a lot better and the meds I take for them could finally do their job since I wasn't drinking a depressant every day.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

QfS, we are very similar. But don't let it fool you. I was totally functional. Never missed work or any responsibility because of drinking. But I drank too much every evening to remain healthy.

Not sure how old you are but for me, it was only a matter of time. I'm 46 now. The last 10 years have been a slide on my health. I was 6 beers and 2 big glasses (half a fifth) of 90 proof bourbon every single day no matter what. More on the weekends or whenever the "more mood" struck.

Now I'm dealing with hypertension, notsogreat blood work, and possible fatty liver (find out in 2 weeks). All from drinking even though I "took care of everything" every single day. It's scary.

I knew I had a problem the last 3-4 years when I tried to quit but couldn't handle it for more than a week. Physical addiction symtpoms were a pretty stark warning shot for me but I kept on doin' what I did best.

The progression is scary. It's slow and methodical. My next step was surely to move the "start time" forward and probably up the amount in the process.

I'm 8 days in now this time and it's for real. My primary goal is a minimum of 90 days. That's going to happen no matter what for medical reasons. During these 90 days I'm going to learn about being happy in an alcohol free life and take it from there.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi MisterChill, I am basically the same age as you (47) and just like you very responsible with work and all other commitments. I used to think that was a gift being able to drink and still operate and appear normal more or less to the outside world. I even have friends that would envy me for being able to control my drinking. I never thought I had a problem, it has taken many years for me to actually accept the issue. Funny thing is I used to smoke and finally quit about 1 year and 2 months ago and I had been a smoker for almost 30 years. For some reason that now seems easier than quitting the booze. I keep telling myself that I will have nothing to do and that drinking is a good way to fill in the time. I know now that the addiction part is telling me these lies but of course it is still hard even though I know my brain is lying to me.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Your struggle could be summed up in the title you gave your post:

Remove the non-affirmative "I think" clause from your statement. I can only tell you from my own experience, when I decided to quit this last time, for good, no doubt or hesitation, 100% acceptance that I could never drink again, I had success in attaining sobriety for the first time.

Being doubtful about your committment to recovery is all the addiction needs to batter down your decision.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi QFS.

What Carl conveyed is quite accurate along with the idea that getting sober is for your benefit with other good things happening afterwards.

It’s difficult to understand all the good things that so often happen when we stop drinking because many of us drank to get a moment of good feelings.

BE WELL
Old 05-26-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well its the morning of day 3 and already I feel very positive about the change. Even though I have no withdrawl symptoms, at least not physical I feel better. I suppose that I have never really tried to stop as I didn't really have a problem in my mind. I purposely left beer in the fridge from the weekend (Saturday) and even when I got home from work last night I had a look at them and my mind or alcohol voice as its called was trying to get me to drink one but I was able to not touch any. I believe I needed the beer in the fridge just to prove to myself that I can overcome the issue. I always feel that I am quit strong when it comes to temptation, but then again why did I drink for 20 years.

Sorry for ranting but it helps me to be able to write stuff down even though I am a poor writer. I don't want to talk to any friends or family about this yet (they don't think I have a problem anyways) as they will just tell me I don't have an issue.

I am already looking forward to getting out of the house more and back to the gym which I use to love but for some reason stopped going years ago. I am now starting to get pissed that all those years of wanting to get home as fast as possible was because I (my brain) wanted alcohol, what a waste. Anyways I am looking forward to the future, I am going to look for a local gym and have a bunch of stuff planned for the weekend with my 9 year old son. I do lots of stuff with him now but I was always rushing home and I noticed I would get angry with him or other people, that im sure was part of the addiction. I am also changing the title of the post by removing the (I think) as now this is for sure.

Thanks for listening,

Brian
Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is it possible to edit/change the thread title?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Why change the title? Start a brand new, more affirmative thread. Outline what you've experienced so far.

Well done on your decision.