Notices

Holy COW!

Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sounds totally familiar... I think I was in isolation for several years. Such a horrible feeling.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey there my friend -- a quick word about weight and numbers and all this stuff from someone who quit dieting forever last summer and has never been happier -- the single greatest gift you can give yourself as you travel your road of recovery is to -- as much as possible, I know it is hard -- cut out all the negative self-talk that comes with feeling like your body has gotten out from under your control, with looking in the mirror and not liking what you see reflected there. Telling myself I was bad or ugly or worthless or disgusting because of a number on a scale eventually led me back to the exact behaviors that got me in trouble in the first place. The truth is my body knows how to take care of itself better than my judgmental, culturally-addled brain does. Learning to listen to it has been the key.

Your body is amazing -- think about all it has done and where it has taken you. Your body is beautiful -- treat it kindly, listen to it, give it what it needs, and it will take care of you too.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
Serenidad- I am in EXACTLY the same boat!!! I want this weight off!! Starting to eat healthier. Lean protein and veggies as much as possible. Now I need to add in excercise. I have lost weight in my 2 weeks of not drinking. I downloaded an app called 'Recovery Elevator'. It tracks sober days, but also money and calories saved by not drinking. I have saved 10,200 calories and $255.00 in 12 days!!
Just downloaded that Recovery Elevator APP! That is awesome! What an excellent motivator! Thanks for recommending!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Hey there my friend -- a quick word about weight and numbers and all this stuff from someone who quit dieting forever last summer and has never been happier -- the single greatest gift you can give yourself as you travel your road of recovery is to -- as much as possible, I know it is hard -- cut out all the negative self-talk that comes with feeling like your body has gotten out from under your control, with looking in the mirror and not liking what you see reflected there. Telling myself I was bad or ugly or worthless or disgusting because of a number on a scale eventually led me back to the exact behaviors that got me in trouble in the first place. The truth is my body knows how to take care of itself better than my judgmental, culturally-addled brain does. Learning to listen to it has been the key. Your body is amazing -- think about all it has done and where it has taken you. Your body is beautiful -- treat it kindly, listen to it, give it what it needs, and it will take care of you too.
Thank you Sparkle. This is really good advice!!! I am so mean to myself since my relapse and weight gain etc. I'm going to try to be kinder to myself. :-)
Old 05-26-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It took me about two years to lose 45 pounds. The first six months I didn't even try anything though. I ate when I wanted to and what I wanted to . You crave a lot of sugar in the beginning and I just went with it. After about a year sober, I gave up meat because I was a vegetarian once and I liked it. I lost a little bit. A few months later I gave up dairy because my face was having major breakouts and it was probably a reaction to dairy. The weight literally fell off. I am not skinny but I am now at a healthy weight and have to try not to lose weight. I hope this can help.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wanting to take better care of yourself and feel better is a great motivator for a lot of things. Wanting to beat yourself up for past mistakes...not so much. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifically about dieting, etc., more -- I've had a pretty interesting journey since I threw out my scale last summer!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Hey there my friend -- a quick word about weight and numbers and all this stuff from someone who quit dieting forever last summer and has never been happier -- the single greatest gift you can give yourself as you travel your road of recovery is to -- as much as possible, I know it is hard -- cut out all the negative self-talk that comes with feeling like your body has gotten out from under your control, with looking in the mirror and not liking what you see reflected there. Telling myself I was bad or ugly or worthless or disgusting because of a number on a scale eventually led me back to the exact behaviors that got me in trouble in the first place. The truth is my body knows how to take care of itself better than my judgmental, culturally-addled brain does. Learning to listen to it has been the key.

Your body is amazing -- think about all it has done and where it has taken you. Your body is beautiful -- treat it kindly, listen to it, give it what it needs, and it will take care of you too.
Beautiful approach.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Move - a lot. Someone up thread mentioned the formula of creating a calorie deficit (and that works). I happen to have just lost a lot of weight, without trying, due to the job I took a month ago. It involves moving constantly. For example, today I walked 8.5 kms, in addition to not sitting down for 8 hours, bending, lifting and crouching and probably not eating more than 2000 calories.

Don't drink pop, or anything "diet". Drink water. Stay away from "diet" foods and fat free (loaded with sugar). Eat from whole foods as much as possible.

CF
Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Serenidad-

40 lbs!

I can't even believe it is a fact. But, there it is in black and white!!!