Blogs


Notices

Drinkers with a camping problem...

Old 05-24-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member
 
GnikNus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 1,131
Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
no offense FO, but how long have you been sober? Maybe YOUR having been out of the loop is more the eye-opener? This is very real life in western society---esp. Memorial day. Just folks doing once or twice a yr. what we did daily. Waxing philo is a bit of a diversion or I should say HAS ALWAYS BEEN my default ...DENIAL setting. Maybe THEY are not the abnormal ones? Not trying to be in-your face but....you DID accept the invite correct? You're sort of being the fisherman and cook at the same time and that has been in bad taste since Louis the first.
What?
GnikNus is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GnikNus For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (05-25-2015), Cissy (05-24-2015), Fluffer (05-25-2015), Ginamarie323 (05-25-2015), sg1970 (05-25-2015), Venecia (05-25-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member
 
CeeFarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kooskia, Idaho
Posts: 406
It is a beautiful day to be sober! Our property borders national forest land so everyone is coming down by our place to "camp"..Oh joy! I too am grateful when I pass folks on the road who are sun burnt and bloated..I am not judging ....It just doesn't look like fun anymore. Glad we are all are making it through the holiday weekend sober. Much love
CeeFarro is online now  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CeeFarro For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (05-25-2015), CaseyW (05-24-2015), Cissy (05-24-2015), Fluffer (05-25-2015), Surrender2win (05-25-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member
 
Mountainmanbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lakeside, Ca
Posts: 10,190
Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

folks who have a constant drink in their hands.
Stumbling
loud
swollen
puffy
ignoring their children...

None of it looks like 'fun' to me
It looks sad
they are over weight

An illusion of fun that is actually just sad.
Thanks for reminding me that
I'm not missing out on much.
Mountainmanbob
Mountainmanbob is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mountainmanbob For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (05-25-2015), CaseyW (05-24-2015), CeeFarro (05-25-2015), Surrender2win (05-25-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Been spending time with my parents at a campground this weekend. The campsites around us are packed with folks who have a constant drink in their hands. Stumbling, loud, swollen, puffy, ignoring their children...

Nothing like a holiday campout to give stark reminders of things to be grateful for in sobriety.

None of it looks like 'fun' to me. It looks sad. A number of people my age from my past are here too, as it happens. Universally, they are overweight.

Happy sober weekend..... Remember; sobriety is fun.... That drinking stuff? An illusion of fun that is actually just sad.
I like that last paragraph I'm going to use that thanks
kernalsand3rs88 is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Into the Void
 
Fluffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 926
Yeah, what is it about camping and bodies of water that bring out our inner drunken fools? My dad has a lake house next to state parkland with camping sites and most summer weekend nights you can hear fools yelling and screaming into the late hours. Fortunately the property is separated from the campsites by a large stream. Of course, back in the day I would have been one of those fools.
Fluffer is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffer For This Useful Post:
CeeFarro (05-25-2015), Ginamarie323 (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,410
Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Yeah, what is it about camping and bodies of water that bring out our inner drunken fools? My dad has a lake house next to state parkland with camping sites and most summer weekend nights you can hear fools yelling and screaming into the late hours. Fortunately the property is separated from the campsites by a large stream. Of course, back in the day I would have been one of those fools.
I think its because more people use alcohol to have more fun and because they don't go out to this type of stuff. They find that if we only do this once and a while. Why not go out with a blast.

It's like New Years Eve parties. We know it only happens for once a year so why not go out with a blast and get trash.
ACT10Npack is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ACT10Npack For This Useful Post:
CeeFarro (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum
 
trachemys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,897
Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
The best camping is the camping you do with just what's on your back.... Nobody else for miles
I like you. Ten miles in, we'd get along fine.
trachemys is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to trachemys For This Useful Post:
FreeOwl (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,183
Last night I was chatting with my partner about this thread. In a former life, he led kayak trips and is trained in wilderness survival and rescue. He has had some close calls: tipped boats, members of his group with broken bones, a person who got hypothermia and became disoriented and belligerent. He said he can't understand why anyone who is truly out in the wilderness would even think of putting alcohol to their lips. You need to be on your toes, not stumbling around in the dark.
matilda123 is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Member
 
MesaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,227
Well, wherever I Camped, I was hammered. The question then, was: did this go down around other Folks, or in more remote spots? I generally like to 'Boondock' off by myself, so this provided a 'Win - Win' Scenario. Folks didn't have to endure me. I didn't have to endure Hammered Folks, although I have done so. It's a beat.

At my first time ever in a 'KOA Campground' ~1 month ago in Moab Utah, the Recycling Bins provided a Leading Indicator of how America 'Camps'. Man, lotsa Bottles being Recycled. As in, an astounding number thereof. Moab was jammin', so KOA it was. I enjoyed it. Met some new Travelers from all around. Denmark. Russia. Germany. Canada.

I got this lil Trailer seen below for a song, and am about to upgrade to a new one for more Wife & Dog room. Sobriety makes just Hiking around, and taking Pictures, enjoyable in and of itself. I muck around with new Electrical ideas on how to run various Gizmos - I'm big on USB-operated Devices right now - and try out new configs on setting up Camp. Flying Recon over new locations on Google Earth makes for Geek Fun Trip Planning, too. The Pic below is at Sheep Creek Utah.

Sober Life exported to new locations...

- 'Sleeping Bag' ~ ZZ Top -
.


.
MesaMan is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MesaMan For This Useful Post:
CaseyW (05-25-2015), Cathryn2001 (05-25-2015), FreeOwl (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Member
 
Cathryn2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 551
Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Well, wherever I Camped, I was hammered. The question then, was: did this go down around other Folks, or in more remote spots? I generally like to 'Boondock' off by myself, so this provided a 'Win - Win' Scenario. Folks didn't have to endure me. I didn't have to endure Hammered Folks, although I have done so. It's a beat.

At my first time ever in a 'KOA Campground' ~1 month ago in Moab Utah, the Recycling Bins provided a Leading Indicator of how America 'Camps'. Man, lotsa Bottles being Recycled. As in, an astounding number thereof. Moab was jammin', so KOA it was. I enjoyed it. Met some new Travelers from all around. Denmark. Russia. Germany. Canada.

I got this lil Trailer seen below for a song, and am about to upgrade to a new one for more Wife & Dog room. Sobriety makes just Hiking around, and taking Pictures, enjoyable in and of itself. I muck around with new Electrical ideas on how to run various Gizmos - I'm big on USB-operated Devices right now - and try out new configs on setting up Camp. Flying Recon over new locations on Google Earth makes for Geek Fun Trip Planning, too. The Pic below is at Sheep Creek Utah.

Sober Life exported to new locations...

- 'Sleeping Bag' ~ ZZ Top -
.


.
What an awesome post and picture, MM. Sounds like you are enjoying some terrific adventures.
Cathryn2001 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cathryn2001 For This Useful Post:
FreeOwl (06-05-2015), MesaMan (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Into the Void
 
Fluffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 926
Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Last night I was chatting with my partner about this thread. In a former life, he led kayak trips and is trained in wilderness survival and rescue. He has had some close calls: tipped boats, members of his group with broken bones, a person who got hypothermia and became disoriented and belligerent. He said he can't understand why anyone who is truly out in the wilderness would even think of putting alcohol to their lips. You need to be on your toes, not stumbling around in the dark.
OK, so I'm going to admit that I was that guy that would boat in/hike in 2 miles to a camping spot with a gigantic and massively heavy cooler. Embarrassing.
Fluffer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffer For This Useful Post:
FreeOwl (06-05-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Member
 
Ultramarathoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,175
You guys keep making me think of the movie "The Way Way Back" where an adolescent describes the alcohol laced scene to another as "like Spring Break for adults"!
Ultramarathoner is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramarathoner For This Useful Post:
FreeOwl (06-05-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member
 
yinzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 772
Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I like you. Ten miles in, we'd get along fine.
I'm with both of you. In fact, my pack is begging me for a trip....
yinzer is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.