Notices

Drinkers with a camping problem...

Old 05-24-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
no offense FO, but how long have you been sober? Maybe YOUR having been out of the loop is more the eye-opener? This is very real life in western society---esp. Memorial day. Just folks doing once or twice a yr. what we did daily. Waxing philo is a bit of a diversion or I should say HAS ALWAYS BEEN my default ...DENIAL setting. Maybe THEY are not the abnormal ones? Not trying to be in-your face but....you DID accept the invite correct? You're sort of being the fisherman and cook at the same time and that has been in bad taste since Louis the first.
What?
Old 05-24-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It is a beautiful day to be sober! Our property borders national forest land so everyone is coming down by our place to "camp"..Oh joy! I too am grateful when I pass folks on the road who are sun burnt and bloated..I am not judging ....It just doesn't look like fun anymore. Glad we are all are making it through the holiday weekend sober. Much love
Old 05-24-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

folks who have a constant drink in their hands.
Stumbling
loud
swollen
puffy
ignoring their children...

None of it looks like 'fun' to me
It looks sad
they are over weight

An illusion of fun that is actually just sad.
Thanks for reminding me that
I'm not missing out on much.
Mountainmanbob
Old 05-24-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Been spending time with my parents at a campground this weekend. The campsites around us are packed with folks who have a constant drink in their hands. Stumbling, loud, swollen, puffy, ignoring their children...

Nothing like a holiday campout to give stark reminders of things to be grateful for in sobriety.

None of it looks like 'fun' to me. It looks sad. A number of people my age from my past are here too, as it happens. Universally, they are overweight.

Happy sober weekend..... Remember; sobriety is fun.... That drinking stuff? An illusion of fun that is actually just sad.
I like that last paragraph I'm going to use that thanks
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Yeah, what is it about camping and bodies of water that bring out our inner drunken fools? My dad has a lake house next to state parkland with camping sites and most summer weekend nights you can hear fools yelling and screaming into the late hours. Fortunately the property is separated from the campsites by a large stream. Of course, back in the day I would have been one of those fools.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Yeah, what is it about camping and bodies of water that bring out our inner drunken fools? My dad has a lake house next to state parkland with camping sites and most summer weekend nights you can hear fools yelling and screaming into the late hours. Fortunately the property is separated from the campsites by a large stream. Of course, back in the day I would have been one of those fools.
I think its because more people use alcohol to have more fun and because they don't go out to this type of stuff. They find that if we only do this once and a while. Why not go out with a blast.

It's like New Years Eve parties. We know it only happens for once a year so why not go out with a blast and get trash.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The best camping is the camping you do with just what's on your back.... Nobody else for miles
I like you. Ten miles in, we'd get along fine.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Last night I was chatting with my partner about this thread. In a former life, he led kayak trips and is trained in wilderness survival and rescue. He has had some close calls: tipped boats, members of his group with broken bones, a person who got hypothermia and became disoriented and belligerent. He said he can't understand why anyone who is truly out in the wilderness would even think of putting alcohol to their lips. You need to be on your toes, not stumbling around in the dark.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well, wherever I Camped, I was hammered. The question then, was: did this go down around other Folks, or in more remote spots? I generally like to 'Boondock' off by myself, so this provided a 'Win - Win' Scenario. Folks didn't have to endure me. I didn't have to endure Hammered Folks, although I have done so. It's a beat.

At my first time ever in a 'KOA Campground' ~1 month ago in Moab Utah, the Recycling Bins provided a Leading Indicator of how America 'Camps'. Man, lotsa Bottles being Recycled. As in, an astounding number thereof. Moab was jammin', so KOA it was. I enjoyed it. Met some new Travelers from all around. Denmark. Russia. Germany. Canada.

I got this lil Trailer seen below for a song, and am about to upgrade to a new one for more Wife & Dog room. Sobriety makes just Hiking around, and taking Pictures, enjoyable in and of itself. I muck around with new Electrical ideas on how to run various Gizmos - I'm big on USB-operated Devices right now - and try out new configs on setting up Camp. Flying Recon over new locations on Google Earth makes for Geek Fun Trip Planning, too. The Pic below is at Sheep Creek Utah.

Sober Life exported to new locations...

- 'Sleeping Bag' ~ ZZ Top -

Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Well, wherever I Camped, I was hammered. The question then, was: did this go down around other Folks, or in more remote spots? I generally like to 'Boondock' off by myself, so this provided a 'Win - Win' Scenario. Folks didn't have to endure me. I didn't have to endure Hammered Folks, although I have done so. It's a beat.

At my first time ever in a 'KOA Campground' ~1 month ago in Moab Utah, the Recycling Bins provided a Leading Indicator of how America 'Camps'. Man, lotsa Bottles being Recycled. As in, an astounding number thereof. Moab was jammin', so KOA it was. I enjoyed it. Met some new Travelers from all around. Denmark. Russia. Germany. Canada.

I got this lil Trailer seen below for a song, and am about to upgrade to a new one for more Wife & Dog room. Sobriety makes just Hiking around, and taking Pictures, enjoyable in and of itself. I muck around with new Electrical ideas on how to run various Gizmos - I'm big on USB-operated Devices right now - and try out new configs on setting up Camp. Flying Recon over new locations on Google Earth makes for Geek Fun Trip Planning, too. The Pic below is at Sheep Creek Utah.

Sober Life exported to new locations...

- 'Sleeping Bag' ~ ZZ Top -

What an awesome post and picture, MM. Sounds like you are enjoying some terrific adventures.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Last night I was chatting with my partner about this thread. In a former life, he led kayak trips and is trained in wilderness survival and rescue. He has had some close calls: tipped boats, members of his group with broken bones, a person who got hypothermia and became disoriented and belligerent. He said he can't understand why anyone who is truly out in the wilderness would even think of putting alcohol to their lips. You need to be on your toes, not stumbling around in the dark.
OK, so I'm going to admit that I was that guy that would boat in/hike in 2 miles to a camping spot with a gigantic and massively heavy cooler. Embarrassing.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You guys keep making me think of the movie "The Way Way Back" where an adolescent describes the alcohol laced scene to another as "like Spring Break for adults"!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I like you. Ten miles in, we'd get along fine.
I'm with both of you. In fact, my pack is begging me for a trip....