Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 3)

Old 05-25-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Y'all are some seriously gentle and tender people here.

I could take a page out of your collective playbooks to be a hair more tender and gentle to those around me. Maybe I am...in a sober, good ole boy kinda way.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by 4thekidz View Post
Y'all are some seriously gentle and tender people here.

I could take a page out of your collective playbooks to be a hair more tender and gentle to those around me. Maybe I am...in a sober, good ole boy kinda way.
You obviously haven't seen me when I'm drinking or you wouldn't be saying that. Good news is you never will have to see that side of me if I keep doing what I'm doing today every day.

The Golden Rule is a good one. I don't always abide by it perfectly, but it's a lot easier to do when my mind isn't foggy because of alcohol.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Drank last night. Not good. Once that thought got in my head to have a drink, it was like I was on automatic pilot. I did not try to stop myself, the thought of trying to stop myself didn't even come. I'm struggling at that point, I don't know how to snap myself out of it, once the thought has entered. I don't know if you can understand what I am trying to say here, but very open to suggestions.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Administrator

The big suggestion is fight that feeling more Chanty - come here and post and let us talk you through it.

Once I realised that 'auto pilot' didn't have to end in a drink, things got a lot easier for me.

It's not fun, and your inner addict will throw a tantrum, but you really can get through it and not drink

Do you have support apart from SR?

D
Old 05-25-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Second, you might think about keeping the duck and training it for duck races. I blame/thank Jimuk for sending me down the duck race internet wormhole this morning.
My husband wanted to try to but it is illegal to keep a pet duck in Missouri. Bummer...
Old 05-25-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Re-Member

What Dee said! Chanty, next time those urges hit fight for those controls and force that automatic pilot to detour into these forums or to an AA meeting or to the phone if you've got someone you can call. In other words, ask for help. It's what I've been doing for the last 18 days and it's working for me. I know you've got kids and a life to live, etc, so I'm not saying you've got to go post-crazy like I have over the last week (had a lot of time on my hands since I'm not working) but I do truly believe that these forums have kept me sober and mostly sane this go around. One alcoholic helping another. It's a cool concept. Give us a chance to help you next time!

By the way, I am so glad to see you!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Chants, it took me a few tries to get past those feelings. If I ended up drinking, I added more to my plan. I post on SR, try the HALT stuff, and I've been going to AA and reaching out o those people as well.

Took me a while to get to the point I needed all of those things, but I added more every time and now it seems to be working.

Maybe pick up some extra recovery literature and read that when you want a drink? Posting here before helps too. If you can think back, is there anything that seems to happen before you drink? Certain feelings or emotions?
Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
My husband wanted to try to but it is illegal to keep a pet duck in Missouri. Bummer...
Too bad! You also could have decorated the duck like this to match your avatar:

Old 05-25-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

So, the z, x, and y talk is great. I.e. what am I going to do different next time.

I'm going to a counselor this week to discuss. I'm going to go to a marriage counselor, and I'm going to freaking post here before I drink. all of this could have been avoided.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Thank you Casey and Dee, your kindness brings tears to my eyes. I haven't any other support, just you guys. I am so hoping I snap myself out of it next time, so I can get on here and let you help me.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

How do I attach a picture? I am trying to show you guys the baby duck...
Old 05-25-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I will try that Site, I do need add more to my plan. Reading, I think is a great idea, will definitely try that, and coming here. Its just realizing that I need to Halt is what I'm having trouble with. The thought comes to drink and I just go with it, with out even trying to stop myself. Hopefully I will be more aware of that next time.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Linking pics is the best way for big pics

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...our-posts.html
AllieK: Dee posted the above link yesterday. You can also attach pictures if you go to the advanced version of posting a reply. The attachment button is somewhere in the options underneath where you type your actual message, but I think the pictures can only be of limited size.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Now I'm off to get my haircut, not looking forward to staring at myself with big ugly hung over bags under my eyes!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Old 05-25-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Re-Member

That is even more adorable than I imagined, Allie! Did the duckling's new stuffed momma go with it to the bird shelter?
Old 05-25-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Yes, we let it keep the mama duck. We found out today that it wasn't a duck though. It was a baby Canada Goose.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
We found out today that it wasn't a duck though. It was a baby Canada Goose.
You should have known when its first words were "Quack, quack, eh?"
Old 05-25-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chanty View Post
I will try that Site, I do need add more to my plan. Reading, I think is a great idea, will definitely try that, and coming here. Its just realizing that I need to Halt is what I'm having trouble with. The thought comes to drink and I just go with it, with out even trying to stop myself. Hopefully I will be more aware of that next time.
I can totally relate to this kind of compulsion but mine was in regard to calling in sick to work when I was just tired or didn't feel like going in. Once the thought entered my mind, no matter how long and how hard I tried to overcome it and just go in, I always called in sick. I lost jobs over it and even the jobs I didn't lose, I was always being given warnings.

Is there another area in your life that you find you do the same thing, where once the thought enters your mind, you're as good as done? It might help to give you some insight if you can see what else mirrors this in your life.

May God give you the strength to pull back from the thought to drink, to recognize that it's not you but your AV, and that you can see that you have all the power to make the right choice, as well as the wrong one. (((Hugs)))
Old 05-25-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Awww! Have a good life, Mr Goose.