Notices

addicted to meditation

Old 05-23-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
waking down

addicted to meditation

Over a year of sobriety, mindfulness, and meditation has led to a discovery. First of all, I'm an addict. Alcohol is just one of my addictions. Secondly, I've realized that my addictive behaviors are always (I'm pretty sure always) triggered by a dull or obvious perception that I don't like how I'm feeling (this can range from powerful emotions to simple lethargy).

At one time it led to alcohol and other drugs, but sugar, carbs, caffeine, sex...these addictions persist. It's not so much that I'm addicted to any particular substance or activity, but rather, I habitually seek ways to feel differently than I often feel. Recently, medications have been a challenge because they make me sluggish, and when I'm sluggish I look for a lift (usually caffeine or simple carbs). The problem is the lift is temporary and when I crash I crave yet again. Not healthy.

Here's the thing, though. When I meditate regularly, even just ten or twenty minutes a day, I feel more aware, more balanced, more accepting, and more able to make healthy choices. Meditating in the morning carries the mindfulness mindset throughout the day. For the past year I have found that if I neglect to meditate for a week or so I find myself slipping into old patterns. Meditation helps me feel better. Without it I look for alternatives.

My goal is to get off all medications by the end of July. This may mean another surgery, but if I can live med-free after that it seems worth the risk. Until then, I am addicted to meditation because without meditation I don't like how I feel. Meditation helps me accept how I feel without reaching for sugar or caffeine or my junk (though my doctor has recommended orgasm at least every other day, and I don't always get help with this if you know what I mean).

Addicted to meditation. There are worse things.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree meditation and exercise are 2 things that helps me get my mind right.This might sound superficial but getting my body back to 220 and sub 7% body fat isn't that far away,,210 now...makes me feel better.Meditation or breathing exercises well cant be enough said about them.....The gut I learned from spent many years training with monks in the himalays [ cant spell]...he is the most peaceful person I have ever met.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

I've started meditating a lot over the last year.

I see it as essential now and something everyone would benefit from.

It sounds like it's doing you a world of good, so I wouldn't worry about being 'addicted' to it, unless you're blowing off other important things to do it.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How did you get started and what kind do you do?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I picked up a book titled "8 minuet Meditation " a while ago, but haven't put it into practice.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I am too !

Recently discovered Jason Stephenson (YouTube) and am spending a significant amount of time meditating. Love it.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

this is the guy that taught me....good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xzP2c4FQr4
Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Over a year of sobriety, mindfulness, and meditation has led to a discovery. First of all, I'm an addict. Alcohol is just one of my addictions. Secondly, I've realized that my addictive behaviors are always (I'm pretty sure always) triggered by a dull or obvious perception that I don't like how I'm feeling (this can range from powerful emotions to simple lethargy).

At one time it led to alcohol and other drugs, but sugar, carbs, caffeine, sex...these addictions persist. It's not so much that I'm addicted to any particular substance or activity, but rather, I habitually seek ways to feel differently than I often feel. Recently, medications have been a challenge because they make me sluggish, and when I'm sluggish I look for a lift (usually caffeine or simple carbs). The problem is the lift is temporary and when I crash I crave yet again. Not healthy.

Here's the thing, though. When I meditate regularly, even just ten or twenty minutes a day, I feel more aware, more balanced, more accepting, and more able to make healthy choices. Meditating in the morning carries the mindfulness mindset throughout the day. For the past year I have found that if I neglect to meditate for a week or so I find myself slipping into old patterns. Meditation helps me feel better. Without it I look for alternatives.

My goal is to get off all medications by the end of July. This may mean another surgery, but if I can live med-free after that it seems worth the risk. Until then, I am addicted to meditation because without meditation I don't like how I feel. Meditation helps me accept how I feel without reaching for sugar or caffeine or my junk (though my doctor has recommended orgasm at least every other day, and I don't always get help with this if you know what I mean).

Addicted to meditation. There are worse things.
I did a mindful triathlon two weeks ago; it was a 5k, 90 minutes of yoga, and a 60 minute guided meditation. I would love to get more into meditation, any recommendations?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love your post , I am like you. I am addicted to lots of things and often seek feeling different. I practice mindfulness and meditate at nigh but sleepy. When do you meditate and do you use guided.