Notices

Being on the other side of a detox.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being on the other side of a detox.

Hey guys,

ChasingJme03 here again. I am doing well on my sobriety as of lately. A few hitches here and there but for the most point this month has been alcohol free and happy. Here is the issue I am having right now. My father is also an alcoholic and he was sober for 35 years.... eventually becoming an AA sponsor and leading AA groups. He fell off the wagon about five years ago. Hes now 75 and is currently in the hospital with DT's. It is the fourth day and hes totally out of it having hallucinations, being inappropriate with nurses, me, any woman, he is eating and sleeping due to high amounts of ativan but I am concerned hes still hallucinating and not making any sense. I guess every time I detoxed I got the sweats and pukes and itches and all that great stuff but I have never hallucinated.... I am just concerned because it is day four. I hope he is fine and I guess this is a more "getting it off my chest and looking for support" post from anyone. It is very different being on the other side of a detox. He doesn't know who I am, where he is and that he has a wife right now. It is so heart breaking.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry he and your family are going through this. I was sober for 18 years and picked up again, too. It took me six years to quit again. Alcoholism is horrible.

I hope he makes this his last dry-out.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your father and family. I just went through my first slip up and though it was short lived, I fear the detox more than anything. The first one wasn't horrible but I swore I never wanted to feel that again. Hang in there. I am back on day 3 and just the little detox annoyances have been worrisome to me.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about your dad too ChasingJme but I reckon a hospital is absolutely the best place he could be

D
Old 05-22-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a long time to go sober. I'm curious why he slipped - do you know?

I hope he improved quickly. He's in the right place. My prayers to you and him.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No clue, I am only 29. He is my biological grandfather who adopted me when I was three. We grew up very religious and never even saw a drop of wine in my house, one day I came home from college for a break trip and I found a fifth of whiskey. Its gone down here since.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am so sorry you and your family are going through that. It is also always very scary to hear about people who relapsed after decades of sobriety.
I pray that you dad pulls through and decide to get sober again

There is a new sub forum on SR for family members of alcoholics where you will also get a lot of support
NEW! Family Members of Addicts and Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
There are quite a few people there with an older alcoholic parent
Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ChasingJme03 I hope things go well for your Dad, he is at least in the best possible place for his condition right now. Take care of you.