Notices

when does it get easier

Old 05-22-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when does it get easier

I have been sober about 5 months it was hard the first week like I was hallucinating and felt like I was insane. But it has kind of Platteued. I'm so bored all the time. I know that you are supposed to think of positives and negatives which that along with about a hundred other things I tell myself helps me not drink. I lost my DL like most drunks so I haven't a way to get to meetings. I'm frustrated and starting to get angry at sobriety nothing is fun anymore. I just don't know what I should do now what's the next step? Is this normal? I want to be normal but I know that if I have 1 drink I will be back to day 1, I'm somewhere around day 150 which I am proud of. does it ever get easy

Last edited by kernalsand3rs88; 05-22-2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: to make it better
Old 05-22-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! If you're bored, what about volunteering at a shelter for women or for animals? Or at the local food bank or soup kitchen?

I was dissatisfied with sobriety at around three months until it was suggested that I practice gratitude every day. So each day I found something to be grateful for, no matter how small it was. It got to be a habit and it changed my attitude for the better.

Try a little gratitude. We have a forum specially for giving thanks.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you call the local phone number for AA and let them know that you need transportation to a meeting, they can usually help get you there. Is there any public transportation available that you could use for meetings, volunteering, library, etc? Any friends who may be able to help?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome! If you're bored, what about volunteering at a shelter for women or for animals? Or at the local food bank or soup kitchen?

I was dissatisfied with sobriety at around three months until it was suggested that I practice gratitude every day. So each day I found something to be grateful for, no matter how small it was. It got to be a habit and it changed my attitude for the better.

Try a little gratitude. We have a forum specially for giving thanks.

Congrats on your sober time!
No license like I said. There's no homeless shelter around here. I work to much already to work for free. Thanks for your suggestion I will try to apply it To my life and I have a lot to be thankful for.

Last edited by kernalsand3rs88; 05-22-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: improve
Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

really

Originally Posted by ishallnotwant View Post
If you call the local phone number for AA and let them know that you need transportation to a meeting, they can usually help get you there. Is there any public transportation available that you could use for meetings, volunteering, library, etc? Any friends who may be able to help?
I had no idea AA offers transportation thanks for sharing and all my friends are just drinking buddies

Last edited by kernalsand3rs88; 05-22-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: improve
Old 05-22-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, kernalsand3rs88! It has just started getting "easier" for me since I've decided to be open to ask for and accept support and help from others and, on the flip side, done what I can to support and help others myself. These forums are a great example of just that kind of support.

Congrats on your five months and I hope to see you post often!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kernalsand3rs88 View Post
I had no idea AA offers transportation thanks for sharing and all my friends are just drinking buddies
Drunks helping drunks--that's what it's all about ( not really the hokey pokey as you may have heard)
Old 05-22-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ishallnotwant View Post
Drunks helping drunks--that's what it's all about ( not really the hokey pokey as you may have heard)
Not sure what you mean by hokey pokey lol but I am still new to sobriety I was under the impression drunks are selfish. As I guess I have seen myself over the years
Old 05-22-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drunks stay sober by helping other drunks stay sober (among other tools we can use)
Old 05-22-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Kernal
Old 05-22-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lots of people at the meetings I go to rely on lifts from others. Doing service, sponsoring others, helping each other out - that's all part of staying sober.

I agree that it's def worth giving them a call and seeing if anyone could help you out. When you get your licence back you will get a chance to pay it forward
Old 05-22-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I stopped drinking...but I still felt the same way. Took me a couple of months to realise I was still living my old life - great for a drunk but not satisfying for the sober guy I was becoming.

If all your buds are your old drinking buddies I can see how that might be frustrating?

D