SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The Drinking Life (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/367832-drinking-life.html)

ArtFriend 05-22-2015 09:35 AM

The Drinking Life

I was just thinking this morning about how I was exposed to alcohol in utero and consistently thereafter. My mom drank (not heavy) through all of her pregnancies. It was the 40s and 50s so I don't think they understood the danger then.

Alcohol was present in our home all the time. And when people came over, they drank. My first drink was behind the jr. high school at age 13. Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. We drank under the bleachers at football games in high school and then in college (legal age was 18 then). Binge drinking at frat parties, etc.

Stopped when I was in my 20s... and drank very rarely until I was 44. Then all hell broke lose. But the time from college until 44 drinking was always part of the social scene. No matter what type of event, booze was present. Dinners, parties, BBQs, golf games, etc.

I have lived a drinking life, even if I didn't always drink. It is endemic to our society.

EndGameNYC 05-22-2015 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 5383995)
My first drink was behind the jr. high school at age 13. Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

My stomach flipped when I read this. I drank this stuff when I was a kid (we thought we'd get drunker faster than drinking beer), and always had the worst hangovers.

Boone's Farm was taken off the market for a couple of years, with rumors swirling around that it contained antifreeze and formaldehyde. You wouldn't need to convince me.

ArtFriend 05-22-2015 10:02 AM

LOL, EndGame... I think kids liked this stuff because it's so sweet! I couldn't even smell it now without being nauseous.

EndGameNYC 05-22-2015 10:04 AM

The sweetness only hastened the return trip of whatever I'd eaten during the day.

The twist-off cap should have been taken as ominous.

CAPTAINZING2000 05-22-2015 10:07 AM

The very smell of strawberry hill to this day can make me want to toss up my lunch

EndGameNYC 05-22-2015 10:11 AM

ArtFriend 05-22-2015 10:16 AM

They said it is pure several times in that commercial, so I guess it must be! (cough)

EndGameNYC 05-22-2015 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 5384032)
They said it is pure several times in that commercial, so I guess it must be! (cough)

At around the same time, in TV ads promoting cigarettes, we were told how much better we'd feel -- and already do feel -- by smoking.

ArtFriend 05-22-2015 10:27 AM

Right! I also started smoking at age 13. I was a little delinquent ;)

Yeah, doctors on TV smoking and telling you that because the tobacco is "toasted" that it is good for you. WTF? Or people running down the beach in slow motion with a cig in their mouth.

ScottFromWI 05-22-2015 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ArtFriend (Post 5383995)
I have lived a drinking life, even if I didn't always drink. It is endemic to our society.

I lived a drinking life too ( started around 13 too ), and most of my family and social activities involved drinking until a couple of years ago. While alcohol is prevalent in our society, I am seeing more and more that I simply used that as yet another excuse to justify my drinking. Once I started participating in all the non-drinking related activities that I ignored all those years it really was an eye-opener to me.

ArtFriend 05-22-2015 10:34 AM

I really didn't notice the prevalence of alcohol until it became an issue for me. Then it was very very noticeable!

EndGameNYC 05-22-2015 10:44 AM

RobbyRobot 05-22-2015 10:59 AM

Yes, the 60's and 70's were like a different world of experiences with alcohol, prescription drugs, recreational drugs, and of course, tobacco. Love, sex, rock and roll, and getting high was a "society approved normality."

Only the "hard" drugs were still taboo, but even so, like heroes from the abyss, such hardliners as rock stars were still worshipped and idolized.

I quit 1981. Thank God. The 80's were a living hell of dysfunction on almost every level, lol. Garbage-in-garbage-out idealism finally caught up to society in the 80's and into the 90's.

Remember the "Official War on Drugs Policy" politics began by Nixon in the early 70's? And still today, where has all the effort gone? Ironically, we are now seeing things swing into how to capitalize on cannabis production, sales, and distribution.

Wow. Irony in spades.

anattaboy 05-22-2015 11:58 AM

We saw an alien craft zig-zagging across the night sky erratically whilst imbibing boones farm and columbian gold on our back patio in '75. 5 of us partying and everyone saw it. I was about 14.

SarahB60 05-22-2015 12:41 PM

Boones Farm - ICK! I can't believe they still make that stuff.

Fluffer 05-22-2015 01:16 PM

Surprised I don't know Boone's. When I came of age in the '80 the teen starter booze of choice was wine coolers. Another sickly sweet concoction to mask the flavor of alcohol. And then puke in technicolor!

Dave42001 05-22-2015 06:52 PM

I remember boones farm country quencher and strawberry hill.. we also drank that nasty MD 20/20 when we were young.. So glad you stopped at 20, I kept going like a rock star till I was 45.. I can totally relate, thanks for the share!

Soberpotamus 05-22-2015 06:55 PM

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill

**groan**

Lol!!

Oh, the memories.

juliemacw 05-22-2015 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dave42001 (Post 5384781)
I remember boones farm country quencher and strawberry hill.. we also drank that nasty MD 20/20 when we were young.. So glad you stopped at 20, I kept going like a rock star till I was 45.. I can totally relate, thanks for the share!

Yes when we were 15, I think, we drank boonesfarm tickle pink and 20/20. Couple years later and it was Bacardi 151. How did we survive? Crazy kids

alphaomega 05-22-2015 07:01 PM

MD 20/20 had me throwing up for 4 days when I was 15.

That and Andre Cold Duck.

We drank that at prom.

Cuz we was classy.