SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New here. Gave up 6 yrs on pain pills but.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/367830-new-here-gave-up-6-yrs-pain-pills-but.html)

tryinghard7 05-22-2015 07:59 AM

New here. Gave up 6 yrs on pain pills but....

I did do these Devils for about 6 years. First off, I am Mom of 2 and a wife. Husband has an amazing job and we do very well financially and he is AMAZING. He, however, has never touched a drug and rarely drinks. Rarely. I started using Percs after a difficult pregnancy and back issues.

I am 4 days clean BUT I didn't have to detox (thank God) because I am not an everyday user. Luckily he has a hold on our money big time or it would of been everyday FOR SURE. Lately it was every other day for the last month. I was prescribed 120 10's but lost my script 3 months ago after not doing a pill count then just traded my Xanax for them or bought them. I JUST WORRY about having a bad day and wanting to make that phone call. I can get 30's anyday, anytime. What helps with not giving into the temptation when it WONT leave your mind. I have to good of life that many would love but I'm going to lose it all if my habit isn't controlled forever.
Anyone else have a similar issue? Thank you and I love the open forum. Xoxo

Anna 05-22-2015 08:13 AM

Hi and Welcome

You're making a great decision for yourself and your family.

What helped me to not give into temptation in the early days was changing my routine. Early evening was deadly for me, so I decided to take long walks at that time and it helped a lot. If you have phone #s for contacts, get rid of them. Try to come up with healthy ways to deal with your emotions. You can do simple things like eating well, exercising, resting, relaxing and making sure to take time for yourself. :)

Hereandnow2 05-22-2015 08:56 AM

You sound like me!! I'm a mom of two, great husband, financially secure. Back issues after my second son starting taking datvocet when I didn't need it. Went on for a year, threw everything out stopped but then I relied on alcohol to get through a bad day! Starting mixing xanex here and there . I'm almost a year clean from everything!! The oils, alcohol are tricking you. They make you think you need them to "take the edge off" it's not true. It only gives you an escape them irritability anxiety hangover and then your crabby and need something again. You can be free from it. It feels so good! Best if all you can show your kids healthy coping when ur stressed!

tryinghard7 05-22-2015 09:13 AM

Yes

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 5383895)
Hi and Welcome

You're making a great decision for yourself and your family.

What helped me to not give into temptation in the early days was changing my routine. Early evening was deadly for me, so I decided to take long walks at that time and it helped a lot. If you have phone #s for contacts, get rid of them. Try to come up with healthy ways to deal with your emotions. You can do simple things like eating well, exercising, resting, relaxing and making sure to take time for yourself. :)

I did erase the numbers for sure. But we all know that if you really want the number it's easy lol. I refuse to tho! Thank u for the help 😊

tryinghard7 05-22-2015 09:16 AM

Thank you

Originally Posted by Hereandnow2 (Post 5383933)
You sound like me!! I'm a mom of two, great husband, financially secure. Back issues after my second son starting taking datvocet when I didn't need it. Went on for a year, threw everything out stopped but then I relied on alcohol to get through a bad day! Starting mixing xanex here and there . I'm almost a year clean from everything!! The oils, alcohol are tricking you. They make you think you need them to "take the edge off" it's not true. It only gives you an escape them irritability anxiety hangover and then your crabby and need something again. You can be free from it. It feels so good! Best if all you can show your kids healthy coping when ur stressed!

Thank you. Glad to know I'm not alone. I cancelled my xanex and soma prescriptions as well. I do still and probably will smoke pot here and there before bed. But I've never been an all day smoker. Ever. Or a big drinker. Maybe I could find a personal trainer. Idk. I'm just scared because I didn't really HIT bottom just got scared because I started selling clothes, purses ect so he wouldn't know.

BBQBOY 05-22-2015 09:16 AM

Welcome aboard Tryinghard7,
Have you ever thought about some professional therapy (rehab)? I am currently enrolled in a good IOP (intensive outpatient ) therapy. I'm in for alcohol but a lot of members are there for opiates too. They usually have day and night sessions, so it is convenient to attend. My sessions are 6-9 pm and I'm really learning a lot about my addiction. If you have good insurance it is very affordable. They can also prescribe meds to help out with any issues you have. I'm glad I googled IOP's in my area and then found the perfect one for me. Best Wishes

tryinghard7 05-22-2015 10:51 AM

Cool!

I didn't know there was such a thing! I will look it up now. Thank you so much. Even tho I didn't need to detox this will be very hard for me 😞

Soberwolf 05-22-2015 03:06 PM

Welcome Tryinghard

Dee74 05-22-2015 03:30 PM

Welcome to SR tryinghard :)

D

Hevyn 05-22-2015 03:54 PM

Glad to have you with us tryinghard. I agree that not being alone makes a huge difference. You can do this.

CaseyW 05-22-2015 04:26 PM

Welcome to SR, tryinghard7! Lots of great support and wisdom to be found here.

PurpleKnight 05-23-2015 05:16 AM

Welcome to the Forum Tryinghard!! :wave:

Hereandnow2 05-25-2015 03:14 PM

Trying hard, how are you? Thinking if you!

tryinghard7 05-25-2015 06:51 PM

7 days in the doing great! I'll be alone all next week when kids are at school for their last week so I just need to stay busy I guess instead of sitting around the house. Thank you so much, you guys are the best!��

tryinghard7 06-23-2015 04:23 PM

6 weeks strong!

Still done!! 6 weeks and 1 day!! And it's been so easy!! Anyone can do this. Day at a time!

brynn 06-23-2015 05:25 PM

Well done, trying! :)

Dharma33 06-23-2015 05:27 PM

Great work, Trying!!!! :You_Rock_

Dee74 06-23-2015 06:03 PM

I'm really glad to read this - congrats tryinghard :)

D

thomas11 06-23-2015 06:28 PM

Hi Tryinghard7, I obviously want to congratulate you on your achievement, but this post also does A LOT for me, so thank you for posting. I'm on pain meds now and have been for about a month, got about a month to go. Pretty concerned about withdrawal. I've read nightmare about it, so its a relief to hear that it doesn't always happen. Good stuff.